General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Guy in Calgary Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-25 9:28 PM

Subject: New Guy in Calgary
Hi all,

I am a guy in the 35-39 age group in Calgary, Alberta and have decided that it is time to get back into doing triathlons. I used to do a couple of sprint distances every year as well as a couple of 5k and 10k races and the odd half-marathon, but those were many years ago and after being a couch-potato for such a long time I am basically starting my training from scratch.

After a group at work decided to train for a tri in July we found this site and a few of us are following the Sprint - 2x Balanced - 20 Week training plan. Got my Bronze membership, downloaded the plan, got the app for my phone and filled in the details. Now all I need to do is the training, but that's the easy part, right?

I am trying to train "smart" and get back into things slowly because it has been so long since I have done regular training, and I want to join one of the mentor groups for support and advice. The training accountability (and good-natured smack talk) will be handled nicely by my colleagues. The goal of this year's race is to finish in a respectable time (for me) and avoid training injuries, and then next year I would like to try an Olympic distance event. Who knows, maybe even an Ironman distance eventually?

I can't guarantee that I will be a frequent poster on here, but I will thank everyone in advance for all of the good information and sense of community they create with their forum posts.

-S.M.

P.S. The race I am signed up for - the Heart of the Rockies Triathlon in Invermere, B.C. - is not listed on here, how does one go about getting it on the list?

Edited by S.M. 2015-01-25 9:30 PM

2015-01-25 11:13 PM
in reply to: S.M.

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: New Guy in Calgary
Nice. Lots of guys and gals riding outside today out by Cochrane. If Invermere goes well, the race in Edmonton on Labour Day is awesome. Closed roads, ITU pros to watch afterwards...
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Guy in Calgary Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New from Calgary Alberta

Started by rusling
Views: 1131 Posts: 2

2010-08-16 1:31 AM dfquigley

New from Calgary,AB

Started by elsoms
Views: 662 Posts: 3

2009-08-18 9:29 PM TrevorC

New guy from Calgary

Started by BigDH
Views: 817 Posts: 3

2008-02-07 9:53 AM Ron

New onboard in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Started by hrankin
Views: 964 Posts: 7

2005-03-07 12:44 PM Micawber

New Guy

Started by mgpman
Views: 2083 Posts: 6

2021-05-27 8:20 AM Proyachts
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.