General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AAaargghh those legs!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-26 11:33 AM

Subject: AAaargghh those legs!!
Hi everyone,

A question on my swimming technique. As a general background, I was never a great sportsman, let alone swimmer. Quite the contrary in fact. However, a few years ago, I got the idea of trying to realize a dream and do a triathlon (or at least a half one). So I started to take swimming lessons and later on as I progressed, joined a swimming club.

Whilst I have been slowly but steady been improving my swimming technique ever since I started to take swimming lessons/training 3 years ago, there's just one thing that does not seem to work for me at all.... my legs!

Although I can keep up with most people in my swimming club (the average speed lane :-) ), whenever leg training comes up, I know I'll be passed a couple of times....

I just cannot seem to get this leg-kick for crawl under control...

Unfortunately, all my trainer seems to be able to say is... "kick as if you're playing soccer" or "kick slow but deep in the water".... advice which does not seem to contribute much :-((( (maybe the fact I sucked at playing soccer isn't helping me)

So is this something I just need to live with that my legkick will never get at a decent level, is it just a matter of training a lot, or is there some other trick or tip that can help to improve?

Thanks in advance!

P

2015-01-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: pnobels

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: AAaargghh those legs!!

Kick slow and deep is just plain wrong.  Not sure what they mean by soccer kicking. 

Your kick should originate from the hips with relatively straight (not rigid) legs. Ideally, your toes should be pointed but that is a function of how flexible your ankles are...you might need to work on ankle flexibility if your toes point straight down when you're kicking.  Try to keep your butt near the surface and kick with relatively shallow kicks.  Deep kicks are more tiresome and just create additional drag. 

2015-01-26 11:53 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

One thing you could try is floating vertically in the deep end, and kicking to try to raise yourself out of the water. Your muscles will get instant feedback on what gives you more power. Check this out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYEERgh_VfQ

2015-01-26 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Soccer kicking.. Think of a wave traveling down your leg that starts in the hip. Your leg works like a whip as that wave travels down, and your foot flicks the water.

Now think of that whip. What happens if you grab the handle (or whatever the proper name for that part of a whip is) and make a huge up-and-down with it? The end just kind of flops lazily and does nothing. Now give that handle and give it a sharp small flick, how does the end react? Yup. Think of your leg and foot doing the same thing.

2015-01-31 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
2015-01-31 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Have you tried o swim with fins? I do swim with them sometimes. Fins kind o each your body a proper position in he water.
My kick is great with hem, especially when I swim on my back. I feel that my thighs are engaged and I swim really really fast. Also do not point your toes during the down kick. Im not sure if you are doing it, but this one of my mistakes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AAaargghh those legs!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

heavy legs/dead legs

Started by clgswisher
Views: 1146 Posts: 3

2012-07-31 4:22 PM agarose2000

Tight back and leg muscles after bike leg (Help)

Started by cswartz
Views: 1621 Posts: 7

2012-07-04 12:27 PM cswartz

Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 5550 Posts: 10

2012-04-02 5:13 PM tri808

My glass legs - tenderness on inside of leg above ankle?

Started by Stone Cutter
Views: 12126 Posts: 8

2011-04-02 7:11 AM agarose2000

Is it possible to have Triathlon legs and Mogul Skiing legs Pages: 1 2

Started by NorthernNewbie
Views: 2249 Posts: 28

2009-12-28 12:20 PM trix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Team BT
Bosu Ball straight leg lift exercise (standing on Bosu, hold onto support to the side) – single leg stability ball balance exercise with picture and video.

date : September 20, 2007
Bosu ball leg raise exercise with bent knee, in front single leg Bosu stability ball balance exercise with picture and video.
date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.