Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Music evolution slowing down? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-30 3:49 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

Subject: RE: Music evolution slowing down?
Back on topic, I went last summer to see a few new bands. One of them was a band my wife's cousin plays in. They racked in a couple grammy awards and some other stuff, had some really big hits. The other band was Sara and Tegan...I think that was the name of them. There was a large group of the wife's family there. They found it amusing that I was there and had to listen to Sara and Tegan....if that is the state of new music we are screwed!

2015-01-30 8:33 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by Puppetmaster Back on topic, I went last summer to see a few new bands. One of them was a band my wife's cousin plays in. They racked in a couple grammy awards and some other stuff, had some really big hits. The other band was Sara and Tegan...I think that was the name of them. There was a large group of the wife's family there. They found it amusing that I was there and had to listen to Sara and Tegan....if that is the state of new music we are screwed!

Ok, there is that kind of thing also.

2015-01-30 8:51 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by jford2309

Originally posted by flip18436572

Originally posted by jford2309

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Supposedly our tastes for music become somewhat "fixed" when we are in our 30s. It's a developmental/societal thing. So it's not really that music evolution is slowing down-- just our perspective changes. We continue to like what we liked when we were younger. Pretty much every older generation says the same thing about younger generation's music.

Not certain I agree with you.  Like Kido mentioned, there really hasn't been a ground breaking new sound to come out in a while like Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal or Hip-Hop.  Those major genres defined a generation.  There hasn't been a new "genre" in quite a while.  

Now, I don't disagree that we like what we liked when we were younger.  But the older generations don't say that music has stopped evolving.  They may hate the sound but recognize that there have been changes.  I just don't see the monumental shift in sound that happened in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.  

But just because you can't pigeonhole music into a genre doesn't meant there aren't great new sounds coming out. So much of what gets lumped into the "alternative" category is really good innovative stuff. "Alternative" really is just a catch-all phrase for new music, anyway. I think because of the current ways music is produced, recorded, performed, shared, there won't be really be a single new genre that "defines a generation" in the way it did in the past. That in itself is where the evolution of music is going. Personally I'm glad that we are moving past the radio-commercial-driven definition of what is popular and "generation-defining."

I still say that it is due to a lack of musicians!  Not many bands play instruments anymore

Are you serious? There are tons of musicians that play music, but it may not be the music you want to hear.  There is a huge difference in a musician that can play music and a song writer, or a song writer/musician.  Now, I am not a "professional musician", even though we do get paid a little at the shows we do, it is a hobby.  I know of three guitar players in my small town of 6000 that have written their own music, sold their own CD's, and two have played with national acts of high caliber talent.  I also know hobby musicians like myself that have tens of thousands of dollars in musical equipment to play and record music.

Settle down- I did not think I needed to explain this but of course I am not talking about people that play instruments. I am talking about what we are discussing...bands! nationally known popular selling tons of records bands like we grew up listening to! The music of today is pre recorded and usually has an "artist" that does nothing but walk around the stage and sing.

There is some of that and I agree also.  But, there is a lot of technology available that was not available to our favorite bends.  But also remember how live performances never sound like the recording.  That is because recording can be done over and over until perfect.  Or the vocal has been doubled and panned far left and far right to make it sound fuller.  I went to hear CCR (revisited) and two were original members, but I also know they didn't use recorded anything and played live that day.  Mistakes were made, and I heard them, but people next to me had no idea. 

But, will we get a new genre of music, no.

2015-01-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Tegan and Sara are NOT representative of new music. I'm not sure how they got so popular, but they are not good at all.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Music evolution slowing down? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Slowing down of college football

Started by jford2309
Views: 1186 Posts: 12

2014-02-20 8:47 AM tuwood

AT&T threatening to slow down my data Pages: 1 2

Started by jgaither
Views: 2350 Posts: 31

2012-02-16 9:21 AM jgaither