Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Music evolution slowing down? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-26 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Music evolution slowing down?

Alright, so I've got a question I've been thinking on for a few months now.  Bear with me while I type this out.  

So are we seeing a slowdown in the creativity and evolution of music?  Particularly in the creation of music genre's?  See here where you can see the explosion of rock and then other major genre's starting in the 60's, and then metal and indie rock.  But now they are all starting to take up a relative equal share.  If feels (and I stress that it feels, not that it is a FACT) that there has been a stagnation in musical creativity.  There doesn't appear to be a true "new sound" that is coming out that is just blowing people's minds and going in a completely new direction.  

So is it just me being an old fart or is their really a stagnation?  And to tag onto that, is the stagnation because of the mega music producers lack of nerve to try/allow something new or is that just an excuse since the internet has blown up music as a whole?

2015-01-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Music evolution slowing down?
Originally posted by crowny2

Alright, so I've got a question I've been thinking on for a few months now.  Bear with me while I type this out.  

So are we seeing a slowdown in the creativity and evolution of music?  Particularly in the creation of music genre's?  See here where you can see the explosion of rock and then other major genre's starting in the 60's, and then metal and indie rock.  But now they are all starting to take up a relative equal share.  If feels (and I stress that it feels, not that it is a FACT) that there has been a stagnation in musical creativity.  There doesn't appear to be a true "new sound" that is coming out that is just blowing people's minds and going in a completely new direction.  

So is it just me being an old fart or is their really a stagnation?  And to tag onto that, is the stagnation because of the mega music producers lack of nerve to try/allow something new or is that just an excuse since the internet has blown up music as a whole?

When Grunge became a thing, I remember having a conversation with an uncle of mine and I recall him saying that it didn't sound appreciably different to him than any of the other noisy rock and roll that he'd been hearing for a while. Likewise, I can remember being corrected by a younger employee of mine when I referred to hip-hop as "rap", because, apparently, there's a difference, though it eluded me then and still does to a degree.

Maybe there are new sounds that you're just not attuned to? I sort of feel as though that indie-folk-rock sound (Lumineers, Mumford and Son) is (or maybe "was") a new thing for a while. Music evolves much more quickly now, I think. Sounds come, evolve, and change into something else at lightning speed because it's so much easier for everyone to be exposed to new music as soon as it's created. By the time you hear a band that's new to you, the musical community has probably already been listening to it for a year and the next evolution of that sound is already in the studio.
2015-01-26 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I wouldn't say that music evolution is slowing (though I DO think there seems to be a dearth of creativity in the industry), but we're not seeing music REVOLUTION at the same pace. "Sounds" seem to follow a breakthrough in an instrument genre.

2015-01-26 2:51 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think the reason you are not seeing it change as much is because "bands" as we know them do not exist anymore.

I have often told my kids that the problem with America is that there are not enough guitar solos anymore.

2015-01-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

When Grunge became a thing, I remember having a conversation with an uncle of mine and I recall him saying that it didn't sound appreciably different to him than any of the other noisy rock and roll that he'd been hearing for a while. Likewise, I can remember being corrected by a younger employee of mine when I referred to hip-hop as "rap", because, apparently, there's a difference, though it eluded me then and still does to a degree. Maybe there are new sounds that you're just not attuned to? I sort of feel as though that indie-folk-rock sound (Lumineers, Mumford and Son) is (or maybe "was") a new thing for a while. Music evolves much more quickly now, I think. Sounds come, evolve, and change into something else at lightning speed because it's so much easier for everyone to be exposed to new music as soon as it's created. By the time you hear a band that's new to you, the musical community has probably already been listening to it for a year and the next evolution of that sound is already in the studio.

In a way that is what I was getting at.  Am I missing something?  And I do listen to some newer music, although it feels as though pop is still king.  But when I listen to the major genre's (say heavy metal) I can definitely tell the newer (last 10 years) stuff from that which is old.  The sound has definitely evolved.

So I'm wondering if we have then reached a peak with the major genre's (Hard Rock/Heavy metal, Country, R&B, Hop Hop, Rap, Indie) and everything is now "variations on a theme" or sub genre's.  Like under metal there is death metal, speed metal, alternative metal, etc.  Know what I mean?

2015-01-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion

Originally posted by jford2309

I think the reason you are not seeing it change as much is because "bands" as we know them do not exist anymore.

I have often told my kids that the problem with America is that there are not enough guitar solos anymore.

Now THAT is something I completely agree on.  American Idol has been the death of bands, IMO.

2015-01-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas

Now THAT is something I completely agree on.  American Idol has been the death of bands, IMO.

We are seeing season after season of American Idol or America's Got Talent "creating" an audience/following for singers or bands. Once they develop a following for a particular act, I think the music industry machine starts working on marketing, songs, choreography and tour dates for that season's winner BEFORE that season's winner is even announced. Social media allows them to target and further develop a following for the next sensation.

Guitar solos are fading as are a lot of other characteristics that used to make a band great, because these new acts use studio musicians that are plug and play/replace as needed. Not taking anything away from studio musicians, but think of how Neil Peart has driven Rush all these years. Granted, you can't replace the vocals of Geddy Lee, but Alex Lifeson is an average rock guitarist at best. Rush doesn't work without the driving sound of neil Peart's percussion, at least not for the long haul. Having a middle manager at Sony arbitrarily decide to use a different drummer for Rush would have killed the band a looooong time ago.

Edited by mdg2003 2015-01-27 10:18 AM
2015-01-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I'm going to see Rush in June....again.
2015-01-27 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
I've been told that music is finite. With this in mind I think most of the low lying fruit has been recorded.

You might have to go way off the path of what is considered listenable to find growth.

What I love is when I find a band that's been doing their thing for ages or produced their output in the past and "I" finally find it. I get that "Where's this been all my life?" vibe and totally dig it.
2015-01-27 8:51 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

Originally posted by cartman1966

I'm going to see Rush in June....again.

Really, its the same day in MIchigan as the Grand Rapids Tri. A few years back I had to drop a race I already paid for to go see them. Now again same day as the race. I might go out of state to see them this time.
Joe
2015-01-27 8:57 PM

I also found it was very . I lean towards the rock sound more then not and being 51, remember real bands. I have "found" some new sounds I like y watching Eric Clapton Crossroads concerts. I am really enjoying Gary Clark jr. He is more blues rock sound. The concerts have such a large amount of people playing it gives you a chance to sample a lot.

It's older stuff but I also listen to Deep Tracks on XM. I discover music I have not heard or recall my older brothers playing and some of it's very good.

Joe

2015-01-27 9:01 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

Originally posted by mdg2003

We are seeing season after season of American Idol or America's Got Talent "creating" an audience/following for singers or bands. Once they develop a following for a particular act, I think the music industry machine starts working on marketing, songs, choreography and tour dates for that season's winner BEFORE that season's winner is even announced. Social media allows them to target and further develop a following for the next sensation.

Guitar solos are fading as are a lot of other characteristics that used to make a band great, because these new acts use studio musicians that are plug and play/replace as needed. Not taking anything away from studio musicians, but think of how Neil Peart has driven Rush all these years. Granted, you can't replace the vocals of Geddy Lee, but Alex Lifeson is an average rock guitarist at best. Rush doesn't work without the driving sound of neil Peart's percussion, at least not for the long haul. Having a middle manager at Sony arbitrarily decide to use a different drummer for Rush would have killed the band a looooong time ago.

I really have to disagree, Neil is a great drummer, but it's a band, Alex is a bit more then average
2015-01-28 4:23 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Just shooting from the hip.  I think I see more "crossover" stuff these days.  Maybe the new trend is that.  Mixing country with rock or rap - or rock/rap with electronica.

I guess (since I follow it) I see more and more of a growth in the electronica genre which is expanding into other styles.  Dubstep, for example is a relatively new style.

Now are you asking for the next MAJOR milestone?  Like when jazz or the blues came about or that new thing called "rock and roll"?  There may not be more of those generational milestones  - except again, in electronica only because the technology to do it has only been around for 25 years with the start/invent of the Moog in the late 60's.

Music also reflects the mood of the youth.  Rebellious Rock and Roll, the start of the blues in the 20's with the depression and race issues, disgruntled  youth during the corporate focus of the 80's as grunge.  Rap expressing the views from the poorer communities.

Honestly (as I keep rambling and coming up with new thoughts), I would also propose that maybe the next "revolution" (in both music and cinema), is that with technology and social media, every day people can create music and movies that rival big name production people.  People can be exposed to the creativity of individuals via social media instead of JUST what the media wants to pump out.

Is the next revolution all the reality TV shows like American Idol and America's got Talent letting people see undiscovered talent?

2015-01-28 11:10 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Supposedly our tastes for music become somewhat "fixed" when we are in our 30s. It's a developmental/societal thing.

So it's not really that music evolution is slowing down-- just our perspective changes. We continue to like what we liked when we were younger.

Pretty much every older generation says the same thing about younger generation's music.
2015-01-29 8:54 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Champion

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Supposedly our tastes for music become somewhat "fixed" when we are in our 30s. It's a developmental/societal thing. So it's not really that music evolution is slowing down-- just our perspective changes. We continue to like what we liked when we were younger. Pretty much every older generation says the same thing about younger generation's music.

Not certain I agree with you.  Like Kido mentioned, there really hasn't been a ground breaking new sound to come out in a while like Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal or Hip-Hop.  Those major genres defined a generation.  There hasn't been a new "genre" in quite a while.  

Now, I don't disagree that we like what we liked when we were younger.  But the older generations don't say that music has stopped evolving.  They may hate the sound but recognize that there have been changes.  I just don't see the monumental shift in sound that happened in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.  

2015-01-29 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

There are not real new "genres" of music that I hear.  There are a lot more crossover musical things that happen,  The worst is the new country, which should really be listed as pop or pop country.

There was a comment about Rush, and I think one of the better things about them, is that they are still Rush 40 years later.  There are drummers that say Neil is not that great, there are guitar players that say Alex is average.  There are bass players that say Geddy is just barely over average,  I am a bass player now, and was a guitar player before I played bass.  I think what Alex pulls off and writes for guitar, many awesome solo guitars can copy, but they can't write it on their own.  I can't create my own awesome bass line for a rock song like Geddy Lee does, but with the technology that is out there, I can learn to play his bass lines.  it improves my bass playing, but he still writes awesome stuff that many bass players can't do.  As far as Neil Peart, again, drummers can copy, but that doesn't make them a great drummer.  His knowledge and syncopation used at different times in songs, is very under rated to many people.

There are rock people playing with bluegrass and creating newgrass and people like Yo Yo Ma, playing with Chris Thiele,  Stuart Duncan and Edgar Meyer which was classical and bluegrass with rock newgrass and country all thrown in at different times.  Steve Martin and Edie Brickell (sp?) did a weird mix of music, but new genre, your guess is as good as mine.

I think an article was written many years ago about Classical and newly written classical, and whether they should be classified as the same genre of music.  There are only so many different riffs that a guitar player can put together without sounding like something already written and would probably cause legal action.

There are many artists out there to listen to their music that is not a copy of what is already out there, and because it is easier to produce music and sell it worldwide, more music is being heard.  As a crappy example, I played with a friend and we were doing a lot of cover tunes of rock songs, and started using only a double bass (stand up) and a mandolin and turned rock songs towards bluegrass.  We then wrote our own bluegrass songs, and then recorded and put them on CD BABY, and they were sold all over the world.  We maybe broke even on the costs of the recording and all the art work that we did and then creating the cd covers, but anyone can sell music around the world these days.

2015-01-29 3:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Supposedly our tastes for music become somewhat "fixed" when we are in our 30s. It's a developmental/societal thing. So it's not really that music evolution is slowing down-- just our perspective changes. We continue to like what we liked when we were younger. Pretty much every older generation says the same thing about younger generation's music.

Not certain I agree with you.  Like Kido mentioned, there really hasn't been a ground breaking new sound to come out in a while like Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal or Hip-Hop.  Those major genres defined a generation.  There hasn't been a new "genre" in quite a while.  

Now, I don't disagree that we like what we liked when we were younger.  But the older generations don't say that music has stopped evolving.  They may hate the sound but recognize that there have been changes.  I just don't see the monumental shift in sound that happened in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.  

But just because you can't pigeonhole music into a genre doesn't meant there aren't great new sounds coming out. So much of what gets lumped into the "alternative" category is really good innovative stuff. "Alternative" really is just a catch-all phrase for new music, anyway.

I think because of the current ways music is produced, recorded, performed, shared, there won't be really be a single new genre that "defines a generation" in the way it did in the past. That in itself is where the evolution of music is going. Personally I'm glad that we are moving past the radio-commercial-driven definition of what is popular and "generation-defining."
2015-01-29 4:20 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

But just because you can't pigeonhole music into a genre doesn't meant there aren't great new sounds coming out. So much of what gets lumped into the "alternative" category is really good innovative stuff. "Alternative" really is just a catch-all phrase for new music, anyway. I think because of the current ways music is produced, recorded, performed, shared, there won't be really be a single new genre that "defines a generation" in the way it did in the past. That in itself is where the evolution of music is going. Personally I'm glad that we are moving past the radio-commercial-driven definition of what is popular and "generation-defining."

I still say that it is due to a lack of musicians!  Not many bands play instruments anymore

2015-01-29 4:32 PM

User image

But just because you can't pigeonhole music into a genre doesn't meant there aren't great new sounds coming out. So much of what gets lumped into the "alternative" category is really good innovative stuff. "Alternative" really is just a catch-all phrase for new music, anyway. I think because of the current ways music is produced, recorded, performed, shared, there won't be really be a single new genre that "defines a generation" in the way it did in the past. That in itself is where the evolution of music is going. Personally I'm glad that we are moving past the radio-commercial-driven definition of what is popular and "generation-defining."

I still say that it is due to a lack of musicians!  Not many bands play instruments anymore

I don't listen to that electronic .
2015-01-30 2:11 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

Originally posted by flip18436572

There are not real new "genres" of music that I hear.  There are a lot more crossover musical things that happen,  The worst is the new country, which should really be listed as pop or pop country.

There was a comment about Rush, and I think one of the better things about them, is that they are still Rush 40 years later.  There are drummers that say Neil is not that great, there are guitar players that say Alex is average.  There are bass players that say Geddy is just barely over average,  I am a bass player now, and was a guitar player before I played bass.  I think what Alex pulls off and writes for guitar, many awesome solo guitars can copy, but they can't write it on their own.  I can't create my own awesome bass line for a rock song like Geddy Lee does, but with the technology that is out there, I can learn to play his bass lines.  it improves my bass playing, but he still writes awesome stuff that many bass players can't do.  As far as Neil Peart, again, drummers can copy, but that doesn't make them a great drummer.  His knowledge and syncopation used at different times in songs, is very under rated to many people.

There are rock people playing with bluegrass and creating newgrass and people like Yo Yo Ma, playing with Chris Thiele,  Stuart Duncan and Edgar Meyer which was classical and bluegrass with rock newgrass and country all thrown in at different times.  Steve Martin and Edie Brickell (sp?) did a weird mix of music, but new genre, your guess is as good as mine.

I think an article was written many years ago about Classical and newly written classical, and whether they should be classified as the same genre of music.  There are only so many different riffs that a guitar player can put together without sounding like something already written and would probably cause legal action.

There are many artists out there to listen to their music that is not a copy of what is already out there, and because it is easier to produce music and sell it worldwide, more music is being heard.  As a crappy example, I played with a friend and we were doing a lot of cover tunes of rock songs, and started using only a double bass (stand up) and a mandolin and turned rock songs towards bluegrass.  We then wrote our own bluegrass songs, and then recorded and put them on CD BABY, and they were sold all over the world.  We maybe broke even on the costs of the recording and all the art work that we did and then creating the cd covers, but anyone can sell music around the world these days.

I think you put that very well.
2015-01-30 2:12 AM

This thread has me looking for a different race in June now.......got to see Rush one more time. I guess this thread has cost me $$$. Oh well

2015-01-30 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Are you serious? There are tons of musicians that play music, but it may not be the music you want to hear.  There is a huge difference in a musician that can play music and a song writer, or a song writer/musician.  Now, I am not a "professional musician", even though we do get paid a little at the shows we do, it is a hobby.  I know of three guitar players in my small town of 6000 that have written their own music, sold their own CD's, and two have played with national acts of high caliber talent.  I also know hobby musicians like myself that have tens of thousands of dollars in musical equipment to play and record music.

2015-01-30 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

The time that RUSH is close to me, I will be at a graduation for my SIL for his Master's.  And I am pretty sure I won't be able to go to the concert.  Still trying to figure out a way to make it happen.

2015-01-30 3:43 PM

The time that RUSH is close to me, I will be at a graduation for my SIL for his Master's.  And I am pretty sure I won't be able to go to the concert.  Still trying to figure out a way to make it happen.

Mine is solved. Rush on June 14th, drop the 70.3 on the 14th, and pick up the 70.3 on the 27th. The kid is done with school, the wife works for the school she is done, everyone wins.

Sorry to get off topic

Joe
2015-01-30 3:44 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Are you serious? There are tons of musicians that play music, but it may not be the music you want to hear.  There is a huge difference in a musician that can play music and a song writer, or a song writer/musician.  Now, I am not a "professional musician", even though we do get paid a little at the shows we do, it is a hobby.  I know of three guitar players in my small town of 6000 that have written their own music, sold their own CD's, and two have played with national acts of high caliber talent.  I also know hobby musicians like myself that have tens of thousands of dollars in musical equipment to play and record music.

Settle down- I did not think I needed to explain this but of course I am not talking about people that play instruments. I am talking about what we are discussing...bands! nationally known popular selling tons of records bands like we grew up listening to! The music of today is pre recorded and usually has an "artist" that does nothing but walk around the stage and sing.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Music evolution slowing down? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Slowing down of college football

Started by jford2309
Views: 1186 Posts: 12

2014-02-20 8:47 AM tuwood

AT&T threatening to slow down my data Pages: 1 2

Started by jgaither
Views: 2351 Posts: 31

2012-02-16 9:21 AM jgaither