General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Advise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-26 9:43 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: Bike Fit Advise
I am relatively new to the tri game. Last year was my first ever triathlon season. I bought a new (to me) Tri bike to get into this a little more and to probe to the wife that I am serious about the sport.

Anyway, looking for a bit of advise on fit. I had my wife take a video from the side to analyze. Seems I have the seat height fairly close, but I feel like my arms are stretched out. Either I need to move forward on the seat... or move the seat forward... of maybe shorten the stem?

I look at pictures of others in the TT position and it seems like for lack of better description the nose of the seat is right smack in the taint. Which I do not find comfortable at all. I am used to hours on my sit bones but either I don't "get it" or the nose of my seat is not soft enough...

Could be I just need to HTFU? :D

Advise from those a bit more experienced than I would be appreciated.

I have a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74V1A9XsYjQ

2015-01-26 9:51 PM
in reply to: Gregwarro

User image

Subject: RE: Bike Fit Advise
I'm no bike expert but it looks like you may need to move your seat forward. Looks like your stretching too far forward.
2015-01-26 10:52 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Multiple things.. first, you're rocking side to side which indicates your seat is too high. You're a bit too far back (although that's not necessarily a problem) which may restrict your breathing. You're front end looks a bit too high as you're not rotating your pelvic forward (probably related to seat height and to position in relationship to bottom bracket).
2015-01-27 12:26 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
I agree with Blastman. You are clearly stretched out too much forward.
2015-01-27 12:50 AM

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Bike Fit Advice
lol just realized I misspelled advice on the original... I realized it when I saw it with a comment... an thought that guy misspelled advice! DOH!

Anyway thanks for the feedback I moved the seat forward tonight and it seemed better. I'll try bringing it down a bit tomorrow and see where that leaves me.

I'll post another video to note the changes.

Thanks!
2015-01-27 8:27 AM

User image

Pro

How big are you and what size is that bike?  I'm looking at what I think you should do and when I pause that video I'm not sure you can get there on that bike.

2015-01-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Richland, Washington

I am 6ft 208

bike is a 2007 Specialized Transition 56cm 

I moved the seat forward last night and down just a bit this morning, feels better so far. I'll post another video/pic tonight when my wife can help me out.  

2015-01-27 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Gregwarro

I am 6ft 208

bike is a 2007 Specialized Transition 56cm 

I moved the seat forward last night and down just a bit this morning, feels better so far. I'll post another video/pic tonight when my wife can help me out.  

Will be interesting to see the delta, but it seems like you need to go forward quite a bit.  How long is your stem now?  How high/many spacers do you have under the stem?

2015-01-27 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'll throw out some thoughts.

First, a tri position is built from the front to the back, reversed of how a road position is determined. Problem is, bikes are generally bought by using a sizing that's back to front.

Yes, those arms are way out there. Your elbows should be a lot closer to directly under your shoulders. It's hard to tell from the camera angles, but it seems that, for now at least, your elbows may be too close together as well. Narrow is good, up to a point. Going narrower than your hips isn't going to buy you anything if it causes tension in the shoulders and upper back.

Head position is really good. Don't mess with that (assuming you can see up the road).

Once that's dialed, then you can determine the drop (which seems you have close, though it may change some when you get the arm position fixed). Basically, how much below the saddle can the pads be and you still be able to see up the road?

Next comes hip angle, which may be your biggest issue in the current position. Bringing the saddle forward will open that up (actually bringing EVERYTHING forward relative to the bottom bracket -- saddle along with correct handlebar position). But I'm not completely convinced the rocking hips are from saddle being to high. Looks like your ankles are rather rigid throughout the pedal stroke, and a bit dorsiflexed. That's largely an individual thing (I tend to pedal more toes-down), but you might think about that. Also, if you slide the saddle forward, it's also getting closer to the bottom bracket (effectively lowering the saddle). But... the hips rocking may be more related to the closed up hip angle than saddle height.

[deep breath] So all that said, start with bringing the saddle forward, and potentially up, get the bar pads more under your shoulders, and see how that feels. Tweak from there.

2015-01-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by Left Brain

How big are you and what size is that bike?  I'm looking at what I think you should do and when I pause that video I'm not sure you can get there on that bike.

+1

Looks like the bike is a little small. As others have said, rotating around the bottom bracket will open up your hips more and get your elbows more underneath your shoulders... but it looks like your knees could start to get close to those elbow pads. Seems like you've tried to fit a big body on a small frame by moving the seat up and back. A longer stem might be in order.

Having said that I know there are dudes in the 6'2" range who ride a 56. FWIW I'm 6'2.5" and ride a 61 (professionally fitted to me). It's not just about height.
2015-01-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavisIt looks like your knees could start to get close to those elbow pads.

I realize it seems a little weird to be concerned about your knees hitting your bar when it appears that you're stretched out. Could be that you have a relatively shorter torso and longer legs... certain bikes are going to have geometry that work for your body type better than others. It's not all about size as much as its about stack/reach. Moving the seat, adjusting the bars/stem might get you closer, but it could be you'll never get an ideal fit on that bike.

2015-01-29 12:58 AM

User image

Richland, Washington

Got back to making another video tonight. 

I moved the seat forward probably 2 inches. it was all the way back or close. now its closer to all the way forward. 

I moved the seat down just about 1/4 inch or so. 

Answer to an earlier question is there are 2 spacers under the stem and the stem is 100mm 

Moving the seat forward and down I definitley feel much more comfortable, not "there" but better. I also feel more power in my legs. 

Have a look and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOwk3U2Fyg 

Thanks! 

-- Gregwarro

KoS 

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."

-Friedrich Nietzsche 

2015-01-29 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Much better.  Still think you could move a little more forward.  Drop one or both of those spacers and see how getting lower feels.

2015-01-29 7:02 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Better for sure.  Are your AB adjustable in that they can be slid back some.  It looks like with your hands holding the AB ends that it's dictating your elbow positioning still being forward a bit.  If you can slide your AB back try an inch or so, and that would shift your elbows back and might feel better for supporting you upper body.  If not then that would mean a shorter stem but may affect the handling characteristics.

2015-01-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Richland, Washington

Yes the AB can be moved back for sure. I actually thought about that last night as well. They do seem to be pulling me forward a bit. I'll adjust those tonight. 

As far as the drop I'll try removing both spacers and see how it feels. I was planning on taking one out just to see anyway. not hard to put back in so why not right? 

Again thanks for all your help everyone. Last nights stage in the Tour of Sufferlandria was much more comfortable and I felt as if I had more power to the pedals as well. Much better now... time to fine tune! i'll post another video after a few adjustments tonight.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Advise Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3306 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

tri bike fit compared to road bike fit

Started by runspingirl
Views: 4732 Posts: 11

2011-02-18 3:38 PM JeffY

Tri bike fit vs Road bike fit

Started by DJones107
Views: 1467 Posts: 6

2010-10-05 7:46 AM DJones107

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3340 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

Advise on wetsuit fit?

Started by runlong4
Views: 443 Posts: 5

2006-06-09 1:28 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team