General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back wheel for a trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-27 10:02 AM

Park Ridge
Subject: Back wheel for a trainer
I just put a trainer tire on my bike so I can kind of get after bike fitness on my fluid trainer. I want to use the trainer even when the weather gets nice, but I don't want to keep swapping the regular tire for the trainer tire. I have been thinking about buying a used rear wheel and cassette to use on the trainer, is this a doable plan are there used wheels out there? Also, I have to be particular about the extra cassette I get, right? Any ideas as to the cost of this plan? Thanks.

2015-01-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Back wheel for a trainer

I just use the same tire on the road an the trainer. No swapping. No second wheel. 

If you search the classifieds or craigslist, you may find a cheap-ish wheel. your cassettes on both wheels should be similar (same high gear, same low gear, same # of gears) to minimize the need to adjust your derailleur. 

2015-01-27 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I bought a used wheel with cassette for $45 on craigslist. The guy said he tried to true it for road use, but couldn't get it perfect. Works fine on the trainer though. Cassette had the same number of gears, but slightly different ratio than my Tri bike, no big deal.
2015-01-27 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Oooops, double post. >.<

Edited by kloofyroland 2015-01-27 11:00 AM
2015-01-27 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
If your planned training schedule has you using the bike trainer during the weekdays and outdoor rides on the weekends, I recommend you keep what you have and swap out the trainer tire before your outdoor rides to save money. This way you get good consistent practice removing tires when you get a flat out on the road.

Edited by kloofyroland 2015-01-27 10:59 AM
2015-01-27 11:05 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Originally posted by kloofyroland If your planned training schedule has you using the bike trainer during the weekdays and outdoor rides on the weekends, I recommend you keep what you have and swap out the trainer tire before your outdoor rides to save money. This way you get good consistent practice removing tires when you get a flat out on the road.

Piggy backing on the advise above.  Look for a used wheel that can't be ridden outdoors but will work on trainer.  Use the time while searching to get better at swapping out tires.  I've been doing that for about a year now and it's gotten to PITA status but I've gotten much more confident changing tires.  Now I just have to find a used wheel.

2015-01-27 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by kloofyroland If your planned training schedule has you using the bike trainer during the weekdays and outdoor rides on the weekends, I recommend you keep what you have and swap out the trainer tire before your outdoor rides to save money. This way you get good consistent practice removing tires when you get a flat out on the road.

^ Ditto, you will get real good a swapping tires & have confidence when it comes to fixing flats.

I've done it all.  I started out swapping the trainer tire but on my then OEM wheels, Easton Vista SL, it was a real PITA to swap the tires (GP4000s), hated it.  I then bought a set of Felt TTR2 wheels for cheap used those for outdoors/racing and the Easton for the trainer and swapped the cassette (bought tools cheap on Nashbar), took about a minute. Last year I sold my old bike with the Easton wheels and was back to the TTR wheelset. A friend was selling all her bike stuff and I bought her trainer wheel and the cassette, had to adjust the derailleur a bit each time I swapped the wheels. I sold the trainer wheel and am back to the TTR wheel for both.  I found that changing the tires on the TTR wheel was a lot easier than the with the Easton, I can put on the GP4000s tire with my bare hands on a good day. 

Edited by Donto 2015-01-27 11:17 AM
2015-01-27 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Just grab a used wheel off CL or maybe even post a WTB ad here. Or better yet, head to your LBS and see if they have anything laying around. The wheel does not need to be completely true or good for use on the road. 

I have an old wheel with the trainer specific tire on it, it is a junk wheel, won't go or stay round but you can't tell any difference on the trainer, it even works on rollers. I went to the LBS and got a used cassette for $15 that someone had replaced, again didn't need to be perfect just needed to work. 

I have a wheel sitting in my office right now that won't hold true and thus is basically useless other than for trainers, I am sure your LBS has something similar sitting around in the back. 

2015-01-27 11:25 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The front wheel of my original wheelset was shot, so I bought a new set of wheel for the bike. I now use the original rear wheel with a trainer tire and the original wheel mounted in a block of wood(no tire). When I go outside I just swap wheels real quick and go.

Before this I just used regular tires on the trainer, they wear out faster than normal but if you adjust your trainer properly they do ok.

If you buy a an old wheel for the bike make sure the cassette has the same number of gears, and make sure it's not wore out.
2015-01-27 1:50 PM

User image

Ask around on craigslist or facebook.  If you know enough cyclists, someone will have an extra rear wheel they aren't using.  Heck...I have 3 of them due to trashing the front wheels of various sets.  If you didn't live over 3k miles away from me, I'd give one to you just to clear space in my garage.

2015-01-27 2:20 PM

I purchased mine from a bike co-op. I think I paid $20 for it including cassette. It looked new

2015-01-27 2:46 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Am I the only one who has never used a different tire for my trainer? I have been using a trainer for 4 years and do 95% of my riding on the trainer. I have never once felt like I needed to change out my back wheel. I use the same wheels and tires on the road and on trainer. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Edited by mchadcota2 2015-01-27 2:47 PM
2015-01-27 5:39 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I have a trainer tire mounted on a junk wheel (3 broken spokes in two weeks - now retired to training duty). I like a close-ratio cassette (12-25) so I can dial in the power in small increments.
2015-01-27 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Am I the only one who has never used a different tire for my trainer? I have been using a trainer for 4 years and do 95% of my riding on the trainer. I have never once felt like I needed to change out my back wheel. I use the same wheels and tires on the road and on trainer. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

I mean you can, but you will wear out that tire really quickly.  If you're using an expensive tire it seems wasteful.

2015-01-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Richland, Washington
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I just use the same tire on the road an the trainer. No swapping. No second wheel. 

If you search the classifieds or craigslist, you may find a cheap-ish wheel. your cassettes on both wheels should be similar (same high gear, same low gear, same # of gears) to minimize the need to adjust your derailleur. 

^ This. I train the whole winter indoors. No trainer tire, no spare rim. Just ride with your rim and tire.
2015-01-28 8:01 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Am I the only one who has never used a different tire for my trainer? I have been using a trainer for 4 years and do 95% of my riding on the trainer. I have never once felt like I needed to change out my back wheel. I use the same wheels and tires on the road and on trainer. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

I did that for years, it wears out the tire a little faster but not nearly as bad as most people say. If you adjust the trainer correctly and have the right air pressure, I never really had issues.

If I had to guess I would say I probably wore out the tire in about 2500 miles vs about 3000 if it was not on the trainer.

2015-01-28 8:19 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

No trainer tire for me either.  During the winter when there is no chance I will be riding outside I use an old tire that I would never use outside due to it's condition.  When the weather starts to improve and I might do some inside and some out, I put on a regular training tire.  Expensive race tires go on for races only.

One other thing to consider if you are going to change tires back and forth is that it's great practice!  Do it enough then it will be no big deal when it happens to you in a race and you can change it quickly.

2015-01-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

That's an incredibly bad idea.  The trainer eats away at the tire tread and squares off the tire in the center.  A square shaped tire doesn't handle or perform well.  It can be dangerous for a variety of reasons.

I have been using a Wahoo KICKR for the last two years and it's direct mount so you don't use your rear wheel at all.  I used a KK Road Machine for years before the KICKR.  I always used an old wheel plus a trainer specific tire.  One of those orange or yellow Continental trainer tires last forever.  Just swapped out the wheel whenever I went outdoors.  It's a one or two minute long process.

I would never, ever use a race or outdoor training tire on the trainer.

2015-01-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Gotta agree direct drive is way better. Riding the Elite Turbo Muin this winter has been great. A switch to a crank based PM might be in the cards soon.
2015-01-28 10:18 AM

User image

I used to do that until I bought better tires. Then I started using old tires on trainer.
2015-01-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

That's an incredibly bad idea.  The trainer eats away at the tire tread and squares off the tire in the center.  A square shaped tire doesn't handle or perform well.  It can be dangerous for a variety of reasons.

I have been using a Wahoo KICKR for the last two years and it's direct mount so you don't use your rear wheel at all.  I used a KK Road Machine for years before the KICKR.  I always used an old wheel plus a trainer specific tire.  One of those orange or yellow Continental trainer tires last forever.  Just swapped out the wheel whenever I went outdoors.  It's a one or two minute long process.

I would never, ever use a race or outdoor training tire on the trainer.

I have been planning to throw down some money for the wahoo kickr. Tell me you love it and that it was well worth the money.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back wheel for a trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

back-to-back-to-back bricks

Started by strawdog18
Views: 1206 Posts: 7

2012-05-10 9:00 PM Neek-neek

Back to Back to Back Weekend Races?

Started by Bunsbert Montcroff
Views: 1128 Posts: 9

2012-01-23 1:41 PM jjupiter100

Spare back wheel for the trainer?

Started by NewbieTri100
Views: 1525 Posts: 15

2011-08-16 8:41 AM mgalanter

Back to Back to Back races

Started by btlovin
Views: 2028 Posts: 14

2011-01-17 8:50 PM stevestenzel

Taking the back skewer off for the trainer?? Pages: 1 2

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 1772 Posts: 31

2007-09-13 11:02 AM JWU42
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.