General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WHY? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-28 9:58 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: WHY?
One person mentioned they get as excited about getting up and running as their dog does. I have to admit this is not me. There have been times in the middle of a run or a bike where I get the runner's high and I think, "I love doing this." But for the most part this is not the case. When my alarm goes off in the morning, I am rarely ever excited to get up and go run, bike, swim. However, I am always glad that I did get up and workout once its over. There have been a few times when I was training for IM when the night before a long ride I would actually get kind of excited about it.(seems crazy) When I get on my trainer and start a ride, I can't wait till its over. Same for swim. I rarely enjoy the actual training, but I love that I train. And I always feel great that I did it. I have never, except for IM, had "fun" during a race. I hear people say sometimes, "that is a fun race." During most races I ask myself, "why do I do this. This sucks!" But after the race, I love it! I love the aftermath. The discussing the race with everyone, what went well, what could I do better. Does anyone else feel this way about it? Or would you say I'm the oddball and should give it up if I don't enjoy every minute of it? There are times when I look forward to a bike ride or a run, but usually once I get going, I'm just looking forward to the end. Some people do races and have no intention of trying to get faster. They just enjoy racing. I only enjoy racing because of the anticipation of a better performance than last time. If I didn't do better, I didn't have fun. If I had my fastest day yet, than I had the time of my life. So please give me a psychiatric evaluation. Am I on my own here? I was thinking this morning while out running, "I know why I don't lay my head back down on the pillow." Because I have never regretted getting up and getting the workout done. But I almost always regret that I didn't.

2015-01-28 10:11 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Because I have never regretted getting up and getting the workout done. But I almost always regret that I didn't.

There's a quote I heard before and I'm too lazy to look it up, so I'm going to paraphrase; "If the hangover came before you drank, then being a drunk would be a virtue."

So you get the good feeling only after earning it through the suffering, nothing wrong with that.

Regarding feeling like crap during races. I am like that when I go too hard. Instead of trusting my training and withdrawing from the "bank account" that I've created through training, I'm pushing so hard that I'm going on credit, if that makes sense. I always had miserable races because of it. Now I spend more time building up the bank, then have a level, planned race and let the chips fall where they may. I could probably push the suicide pace and pick up some time, but then it's a miserable experience. I enjoy racing a lot more now. If I'm not satisfied with my time, then it means more training, not killing myself on the next race. It was an epiphany for me, and I look forward to races now instead of dreading them.
2015-01-28 11:09 AM

User image

Since training is almost all of what we do, if you hate training, then it's basically become a second job! And if you don't win your races, it's like a job where you don't get paid! That sucks.

If you won't be satisfied or feel your efforts were worthwhile if you don't win your races, and winning your races is not realistic most of the time (I'm just posing a hypothetical), then it's no wonder you are not enjoying yourself most of the time. Even if it's not in the front of your mind, you're probably thinking, "what's the point in getting up? - no matter what I do, I'm not going to win my races anyway."

If you set process goals or more attainable outcome goals -- then you can probably regain that "fire" for triathlon training, because you will see it as being the means to the end you desire.

If you stick with the "all or none" type mindset, then you might consider getting into a sport where your chances of consistent success (i.e., winning) are greater, whatever that sport is.

Hope this helps.
2015-01-28 11:16 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by popsracer

...because it makes me a hero to my son..

This. Greatest day ever was when I crossed IMFL with my kids watching at the finish line. For a brief, fleeting moment, they thought I was cool again.
2015-01-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

If you will forgive my using a quote, here is one that does it for me:

"During your pains and efforts and belabored breaths, remember the pains and belabored breaths of the dying who, at this very second, fight for every last second of life. Then suddenly, the real reason for the race gives you strength."
– Unknown

Good luck in your training and in your races.
2015-01-28 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by PsyTri Since training is almost all of what we do, if you hate training, then it's basically become a second job! And if you don't win your races, it's like a job where you don't get paid! That sucks. If you won't be satisfied or feel your efforts were worthwhile if you don't win your races, and winning your races is not realistic most of the time (I'm just posing a hypothetical), then it's no wonder you are not enjoying yourself most of the time. Even if it's not in the front of your mind, you're probably thinking, "what's the point in getting up? - no matter what I do, I'm not going to win my races anyway." If you set process goals or more attainable outcome goals -- then you can probably regain that "fire" for triathlon training, because you will see it as being the means to the end you desire. If you stick with the "all or none" type mindset, then you might consider getting into a sport where your chances of consistent success (i.e., winning) are greater, whatever that sport is. Hope this helps.

I've always said that if you don't enjoy the process, ultimately you will quit.

2015-01-29 9:13 AM

User image

Originally posted by mchadcota2

One person mentioned they get as excited about getting up and running as their dog does. I have to admit this is not me. There have been times in the middle of a run or a bike where I get the runner's high and I think, "I love doing this." But for the most part this is not the case. When my alarm goes off in the morning, I am rarely ever excited to get up and go run, bike, swim. However, I am always glad that I did get up and workout once its over. There have been a few times when I was training for IM when the night before a long ride I would actually get kind of excited about it.(seems crazy) When I get on my trainer and start a ride, I can't wait till its over. Same for swim. I rarely enjoy the actual training, but I love that I train. And I always feel great that I did it. I have never, except for IM, had "fun" during a race. I hear people say sometimes, "that is a fun race." During most races I ask myself, "why do I do this. This sucks!" But after the race, I love it! I love the aftermath. The discussing the race with everyone, what went well, what could I do better. Does anyone else feel this way about it? Or would you say I'm the oddball and should give it up if I don't enjoy every minute of it? There are times when I look forward to a bike ride or a run, but usually once I get going, I'm just looking forward to the end. Some people do races and have no intention of trying to get faster. They just enjoy racing. I only enjoy racing because of the anticipation of a better performance than last time. If I didn't do better, I didn't have fun. If I had my fastest day yet, than I had the time of my life. So please give me a psychiatric evaluation. Am I on my own here? I was thinking this morning while out running, "I know why I don't lay my head back down on the pillow." Because I have never regretted getting up and getting the workout done. But I almost always regret that I didn't.

Came close to putting my head back on my pillow several times while getting ready for early road ride this morning. Tired. Cold outside. Then I reminded myself of this post. I reminded myself of how that ride fits into my overall plan and what its specific perpose is. I also reminded myself that I would have no time to make it up. I even had second thoughts the first few miles, until something clicked and I got to work! Glad I did.
2015-01-30 11:35 AM

I really like the photo of the young son hugging his father.

I just started doing this last year with my first sprint tri.

Did it with my 21 year old son. We had a blast training and at the race. Of course I only saw him prior to the swim and when he passed me on the bike. He provided me some encourgaging words "Better get moving old man" when he passed me.

He was at the finish line to cheer me on.

I do not have any issues waking up early, this morning at 4:30 and going for my swim before work. I have three races set for this year, June late July and early September. Plus i have a few running races scheduled.

I am doing it for various reasons, fitness, health, control my weight. spending time with my son. He is away at college now but I will send him a text of my recent workout or run. He will send me back his latest run distance and time.

Plus I really like the group of people who I have met and have trained with.

Like others have stated a good group of people with all sorts of backgrounds and experiences.
2015-01-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

That intense physical experience of training and racing is when I feel most alive. It's that simple. It's also the one thing in my life that's really MINE.

This 100x!!!!
2015-01-30 7:47 PM
in reply to: #5087771

It is occasionally hard to get out of bed , and I had a similar thought while trudging through a Sufferfest video at 5am last week. Why am I doing this. After a couple of intense intervals and some serious leg burning the rush of whatever that kind of pain releases in my brain kicked in and I literally smiled. Oh, right, that's why I do it. I like racing, but enjoy training as much or possibly more.
2015-01-31 10:19 AM
in reply to: Willohs

nashville, Tennessee
I know alot of people liked the post with the father and the son. And I understand. I wish I could feel this way too. But I do not feel like a hero to my son. I have 6 children under the age of 7. My oldest boy is 7 years old and he enjoys going to my races and I'm sure he thinks its cool. But I know that I'm not doing anything to be a hero to him. Simply because I don't have a great story. It would be different if I used to be extremely overweight or had some debilitating disease that I had to overcome to accomplish this. But this is not the case. I simply choose to take up a hobby that takes up alot of time that I could be spending doing something beneficial for them. This only benefits me. And maybe that's ok. I kinda think it is. I think everyone should have some type of hobby that keeps them sane and happy. Maybe I'm setting a good example for them about hard work and determination, I don't know. I think I have these thoughts because of how my Dad was. He had no hobbies. His approach was everything should be about your children. A Dad shouldn't do anything except work and focus on children. He would not be happy with my triathlon hobby. Sorry I know this has kind of turned into a psychological discussion. Now my justification for what I do. I think every Father should strike a balance. When you have children, I don't think you should give up your own life and lose track of who you are. Because when they're gone, what will you do? A lot of men I know LOVE hunting. They spend alot of time and money preparing for hunting season and then are gone alot of weekends during hunting season. Triathlon is my hunting. If I can train and enjoy triathlon and my family is happy and not complaining, then I'd say we're ok

2015-01-31 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by mchadcota2 I know alot of people liked the post with the father and the son. And I understand. I wish I could feel this way too. But I do not feel like a hero to my son. I have 6 children under the age of 7. My oldest boy is 7 years old and he enjoys going to my races and I'm sure he thinks its cool. But I know that I'm not doing anything to be a hero to him. Simply because I don't have a great story. It would be different if I used to be extremely overweight or had some debilitating disease that I had to overcome to accomplish this. But this is not the case. I simply choose to take up a hobby that takes up alot of time that I could be spending doing something beneficial for them. This only benefits me. And maybe that's ok. I kinda think it is. I think everyone should have some type of hobby that keeps them sane and happy. Maybe I'm setting a good example for them about hard work and determination, I don't know. I think I have these thoughts because of how my Dad was. He had no hobbies. His approach was everything should be about your children. A Dad shouldn't do anything except work and focus on children. He would not be happy with my triathlon hobby. Sorry I know this has kind of turned into a psychological discussion. Now my justification for what I do. I think every Father should strike a balance. When you have children, I don't think you should give up your own life and lose track of who you are. Because when they're gone, what will you do? A lot of men I know LOVE hunting. They spend alot of time and money preparing for hunting season and then are gone alot of weekends during hunting season. Triathlon is my hunting. If I can train and enjoy triathlon and my family is happy and not complaining, then I'd say we're ok

I've been reading along with this thread since it first was posted and now feel like it's time to reply given this last post.

I've said for years on this board that life is a set of choices and balances.  One can choose to spend 4 hours on a Saturday on a bike ride with friends, or a solo training ride, or a round of golf with your spouse, or taking your kids to the park, or cleaning the house, or go into work to try for that promotion, or do homework for that master's degree, or any of a million other ways to spend your time.  The same applies to money.

What's important is how those things add up over time.  If you consistently make choices that exclude your family, then your family will suffer. Examples abound.  You could spend every Saturday on the 4 hour bike ride, and never take the kids anywhere.  Or spend $500 on new bike stuff rather than saving for Disneyland trip for the family.  Or you can hide from your responsibilities as a parent and spouse by immersing yourself in your training, leaving the other parent to do all the work.

We all have our own motivations behind why we make different choices. That's the psychology part.  People post on boards with their life situations, looking for validation or agreement or simple input or "I'm struggling, please tell me how you survive this". We can sit in judgment and agree or disagree with someone else's motivations and choices, or we can offer up our own situations and encouragement.

So to bring it down to earth, OP, you put yourself in a tough life situation. Six kids, with the oldest under 7?  Tough situation for anyone.  You know they just need more time when they get older, right?  There will be homework, and play dates, and soccer, dance, T-ball, etc? Three places to be on Saturday, and four on Sunday?

My children are now 20, 21, 24, and 32.  When I started with endurance sports in the 2002 my youngest was 7 years old, and the oldest had already moved out of the house. So I had three kids at home.  By the time I did my first IM in 2006, I had a treadmill and trainer at home and did much of my training in the garage on those, to save time. Over the past ten years, basically all family vacations have been to an IM as a destination race.  Cabo, Cozumel, Lake Placid, Arizona, Coeur d'Alene, Canada.  I can honestly say I achieved exactly what the OP says - training and enjoying triathlon, and my family is happy and not complaining.

I agree that all work and no play make Dad an unhappy person. I can't care on what my father would have thought, he was from a different generation with a different approach to life. I don't want to be a man who points to his children as his only accomplishment in life. They're great kids, and they deserve a lot of credit for that and my wife and I a little. Beyond my kids, I'm a ten time IM finisher. I do well at work. I am and have been a good husband and father, without losing myself being either. Mistakes have been made and corrected. I'm breaking my arm patting myself on the back here, but seriously I rock. :-)

So Mchadcota2 (really, put your first name in your profile!), good luck to you.  You can achieve it. You have to look in the mirror, like I can, and be ok with how you live your life. That should be what ultimately guides the choices you make. Keep things in balance. Be proud of your own non-children accomplishments. You deserve your own slice of time if you want.  Your spouse does too, you know, if she wants it.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-01-31 1:04 PM
2015-02-01 4:39 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

nashville, Tennessee
Great post! Ten time ironman finisher. Wow! Sounds like you've done a pretty good job with your family. I appreciate your input so thanks for taking the time.
2015-02-01 11:24 PM

User image

I used to go to the gym everyday, but it got old quickly. I lost motivation and I got fat and got sickly.

Tri is three different sports and I could do it outdoors! So far, I haven't been bored.

I have a 5 year old daughter , I'm almost 50 yrs and want to stay healthy for my daughter.

I lost my Dad 4 months ago, and tri training is one of the things that keeps me "sane."
2015-02-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Because it beats sitting on your arse all day and I can't do the things I used to do when I was younger with 2 stable knees (football (soccer to you), karate, handball ( european)). That's the best sport I have found that I can do and which does not bore me to death as it's 3 sports, really
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WHY? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Disscusion: Why or Why not a Tri/Road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by LPJmom
Views: 4210 Posts: 36

2012-11-16 4:37 PM metafizx

Why oh Why do RD allow non racers in transition? Pages: 1 2

Started by guppie58
Views: 3414 Posts: 30

2011-07-18 2:23 PM bzgl40

Garmin... why oh why must your charge be empty?!

Started by IdealMuse
Views: 1371 Posts: 18

2010-04-18 10:34 AM Duanerice

why oh why......

Started by wee scotty
Views: 1450 Posts: 14

2009-09-23 7:37 PM Johners

Why Oh Why do we tri? Ramblings from a tri wannabe

Started by steven
Views: 1153 Posts: 10

2004-04-29 10:26 PM NOGILLS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 2
What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".