General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit in a treated lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-30 9:58 AM

Subject: Wetsuit in a treated lake
So I'm going to my inlaws this weekend and they live on a decent sized lake. The lake is treated regularly. I contacted the company that treats it and the lady I spoke with wasn't able to give me a breakdown of "chemicals" they use. In fact she kind of made it seem like it wasn't chemicals. I do know they stock the lake with fish and they make it fit for people to swim in the lake. The presence of fish would seem to suggest there isn't any chlorine. I'd like to swim in it this weekend with my wetsuit. I called Xterra and the lady there said that other than chlorine she can't think of anything that I should be avoiding to keep the suit in good order.

GIven this set of facts and unknowns would you all be comfortable taking your wetsuit into that lake?

2015-01-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Subject: RE: Wetsuit in a treated lake
If fish swim in the lake there probably aren't chemicals caustic enough to bother the suit.

Rinse it down good after the swims like you would anyway and call it good.
2015-01-30 10:32 AM

User image

I would be okay with it.  Just rinse the suit well after your swim if you're worried. 

2015-01-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

My guess is they are adding a phosphorus inhibitor to control algal growth.  They could be adding a chemical like aluminum sulfate or copper sulfate (does the lake have a nice blue color? It could look natural, but be very vivid

Regardless most of these compounds are targeting the nutrients that are present in the lake.  I would imagine your wetsuit is going to be fine.  As suggested I would wash it down with freshwater after the swim, which is just good practice anyways.

Do you have a name of the company?  Or the chemical?  I am a chemist and would be happy to help out more.

2015-01-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Justin86

My guess is they are adding a phosphorus inhibitor to control algal growth.  They could be adding a chemical like aluminum sulfate or copper sulfate (does the lake have a nice blue color? It could look natural, but be very vivid

Regardless most of these compounds are targeting the nutrients that are present in the lake.  I would imagine your wetsuit is going to be fine.  As suggested I would wash it down with freshwater after the swim, which is just good practice anyways.

Do you have a name of the company?  Or the chemical?  I am a chemist and would be happy to help out more.

I was thinking either phosphorus treatment or metal salt addition as well. I can't think of any reason why anyone would ever chlorinate a lake.
2015-01-30 1:06 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar

I was thinking either phosphorus treatment or metal salt addition as well. I can't think of any reason why anyone would ever chlorinate a lake.

In case any triathletes pee in it

2015-01-30 1:23 PM

The lake does have a vivid blue color. The name of the company is Aquagenix, they're located in Pompano Beach, FL.
http://www.aquagenixaquatics.com/
The lady I spoke to on the phone is an office manager and not really the one coming up with the compounds to treat so her answers weren't specific enough for me to tell you what they're putting in. But from looking at the website and knowing that they aerate the lake and stock it with fish it seems unlikely there is anything harmful to the suit. I know people swim in it. That isn't my concern. I just dont want to ruin the neoprene and the seams.

Thanks, and thanks to all for their input.
2015-01-30 1:24 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by 3mar

In case any triathletes pee in it

Well poop maybe...chlorine won't do much for pee...well, not even the poo itself, but the pathogens in the poo (which I wouldn't put past triathletes)

The ammonia from pee is typically treated in a biological reactor that converts it to nitrate which can then be removed via an anoxic treatment system that biologically converts the NO3 to N2 which is released as a gas.
2015-01-30 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Meh.....at worlds last year in Edmonton they drained the lake, lined it, and refilled it with a TON of chlorine added.  I can't see any damage to the wetsuit from it....and I haven't heard of any problems.  You're not going to hurt your wetsuit from one swim, no matter what's in there. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-01-30 1:32 PM
2015-01-30 2:40 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
The lake where IMAZ is held is a man made lake that is treated when ever there will be human contact (tris, swim events) and they test constantly for levels of ecoli and other nasties.
Not sure what they treat it with, but I think if they allow swimming or human contact, your wetsuit should be fine.

As others have said, just rinse the suit well after and it should be ok.
2015-01-30 6:39 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Richland, Washington

Xterra recommends not to swim with your suit in chorine... but if you have too to try it out its ok  

Normally we do not recommend the use of our wetsuits in chlorinated pools, however, if extenuating circumstances offer no alterative (i.e. winter weather), then one brief swim is permitted under the 2 year warranty. To avoid chlorine damage to your wetsuit, we suggest that you limit your time in the pool to around 5 minutes and rinse the suit thoroughly with fresh water immediately afterwards.

If fish and people swim in it you are probably ok. 

2015-02-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Gatornate

The lake does have a vivid blue color. The name of the company is Aquagenix, they're located in Pompano Beach, FL. http://www.aquagenixaquatics.com/The lady I spoke to on the phone is an office manager and not really the one coming up with the compounds to treat so her answers weren't specific enough for me to tell you what they're putting in. But from looking at the website and knowing that they aerate the lake and stock it with fish it seems unlikely there is anything harmful to the suit. I know people swim in it. That isn't my concern. I just dont want to ruin the neoprene and the seams. Thanks, and thanks to all for their input.

I would definitely say they are treating it with copper sulfate, you should be fine!  Neoprene should have no interaction with copper sulfate. 

Edited by Justin86 2015-02-01 8:46 AM
2015-02-01 9:00 AM

User image

Richland, Washington

The Neoprene has no issue with chorine, its the glues used that will deteriorate. At least thats what the Xterra site lists as an issue. 

2015-02-02 7:25 AM

Do you even need a wet suit in south FL? This time of year I would think their weather is high 70's low 80's during the day and mid to low 60's at night. Water temps should be mid to low 70's?
2015-02-02 9:00 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Do you even need a wet suit in south FL? This time of year I would think their weather is high 70's low 80's during the day and mid to low 60's at night. Water temps should be mid to low 70's?

Technically no, but I just bought the suit and I wanted to test it. Also I don't live down there I was just visiting. I live a couple hours north of them. Our overnight lows in my neck of the woods have been in the low forties for the past couple of weeks. Do you need a wetsuit in Florida? For the most part no but early and late season races will have water temps that make them legal and therefore people use them.

Swim was great by the way.
2015-02-02 9:06 AM

User image

Pro

The first races we go to in Florida are 3/7 and 3/15......both have been wetsuit legal in the past....and it's an ITU cutoff so 68 degrees.

2015-02-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Sidney Porter Do you even need a wet suit in south FL? This time of year I would think their weather is high 70's low 80's during the day and mid to low 60's at night. Water temps should be mid to low 70's?

Water temp is 68F at Siesta Beach today.  The main reason I own a wetsuit is to be able to OWS year 'round. 

Really only need it in FL for races in April/May or late Oct/Nov, depending on the weather.

Mark 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit in a treated lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Great Treat

Started by whole
Views: 793 Posts: 1

2009-02-24 9:27 PM whole

Trick or Treat....!!!

Started by velorider62
Views: 679 Posts: 3

2008-10-31 4:32 PM xcrunner2010

Do you treat yourself after a race? Pages: 1 2

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 1939 Posts: 35

2008-08-18 3:05 PM CAMalone

Treating a race as training.

Started by nhmorgan
Views: 556 Posts: 2

2007-10-03 2:17 PM briderdt

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1879 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.