General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Orlando Florida road routes search Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-30 5:03 PM

Subject: Orlando Florida road routes search
Ok, I have the opportunity to spend next week in Orlando with nothing to do but ride the bike. I'll have a car, a bike and time. Will be good to get back on after a 6 month hiatus.

But what I need to know is are there routes that are friendly and how risky is riding. I don't know the area so it's all new with traffic. I want to ride safely.

Any suggestions on routes? 30 mile to 50 mile loops are the most I will need. Looking for a locals input.

Thanks all.

2015-01-30 5:29 PM
in reply to: crazyrabbit

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Orlando Florida road routes search

Originally posted by crazyrabbit Ok, I have the opportunity to spend next week in Orlando with nothing to do but ride the bike. I'll have a car, a bike and time. Will be good to get back on after a 6 month hiatus. But what I need to know is are there routes that are friendly and how risky is riding. I don't know the area so it's all new with traffic. I want to ride safely. Any suggestions on routes? 30 mile to 50 mile loops are the most I will need. Looking for a locals input. Thanks all.

I Don't know Orlando that well but there is a trail called the Van Fleet trail in Polk City not too far from Orlando that is a bike trail closed to motorized traffic that is 30+ miles long depending on where you pick it up.  If you goggle van fleet trail FL you can probably find it.  pancake flat  Lots of turtles and frequently alligators on t.  Lots of people ride in the San Antonio FL area too.  LOTS of cyclists out there on sunday mornings.  Look up Carrolwood bike store and I think they have some routes you can download

2015-01-30 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I dont really care for the VanFleet. Too flat, and some woooden bridge type crossings as well as no support at all once you are on the trail. Just my 2cents. If you are interested in some challenging courses you may want to consider coming out to the Clermont area - about 20 miles northeast. You will not be alone, and you will probably get passed by several local pros on the roads out here. You can start either from the NTC or from waterfront park. Most weekends there will be plenty of groups doing the same that will welcome your participation. Sundays at noon you might even find an open water lake swim. Courses can be found at the local RD's website http://greatfloridian.com/EVENTINFO/DOWNLOADS/tabid/961/Default.asp... Lots of courses of different lengths with hills, and more hills.

Hope that helps!
2015-01-30 11:33 PM
in reply to: #5088991

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Ditto exnavydoc. Some of the best terrain riding is in Clermont. I do the Clermont races & rides whenever I can for a nice change of pace being I'm from flat coastal FL. In the past I've added a few Clermont routes to the BT route manager.
2015-01-31 6:04 AM
in reply to: #5089073

User image

Look up the Orange blossom trail. I think that's what it's called its a paved rails to trails project that is very nice.

Clermont is better for cycling and so is Mount Dora if you can drive there. Clermont is literally 20 minutes west of Kissimmee on hwy 55.

You can use the National Training Center as your parking lot if you want to swim too.

You could touch base with a bike store in Clermont for groups. One is called Epic Cycles. Or looks for routes on Strava.

2015-02-03 8:26 PM
in reply to: #5089098

Thanks for the messages. Oddly enough as fast as this opportunity came up I was redirected to Vegas for the same time. Vegas is great for riding and I have a few routes picked out already.
Thanks again

2015-02-04 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Clermont
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Orlando Florida road routes search Rss Feed