Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Flying to pick up a puppy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-01 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Flying to pick up a puppy

So I'm hoping that some of you will be able to give me some tips on flying home with a new puppy.  My wife and child have fallen in love with some puppies and we are going to fly to Nashville next week to pick them up and fly home.  They will be 10 weeks and about 10 lbs each.  (Yes we are getting two sisters.)  I've never flown with dogs before so any insight will be helpful.  They will be flying in the cabin with us in soft carriers.  I'm a little worried about potty issues as they will be couped up for 2.5-3 hours.

Looking forward to having dogs again as we lost both our Bloodhounds last year (13.5 and 10.5 yo).  

Any insights.  Assume this will be more difficult than flying with my bike.

Thanks,

2015-02-01 4:26 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Flying to pick up a puppy

You know what......it will be what it is.  I've never flown with a dog in the cabin.  I have flown a dog twice when I was doing field trials and both times they went in the cargo hold....no problems.  Your pups will either poop and pee in their cage or they won't.  They'll either yelp and raise hell or they won't.....but it'll be over pretty quick and life will go on.

If it were me I'd not mess with them.  I'd put them in a crate and keep them there......deal with whatever happens once you land. 

Lucky family.....I LOVE having a new pup around.  Good luck!

2015-02-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
NJ

I've flown dogs cargo and below deck (all labs and too big to travel on board) and carried cats with me in the cabin. It's been a while, but here's what I remember. I'm assuming you've worked through the ticketing details with the airline. Many airports have designated "potty" areas for dogs. Find out where it is before you arrive. Not all personnel will know where it's located. You will have to check in with the agent at the counter first for inspection of health certificates. Double check the paperwork before going to the airport - I had one trip where the vet wrote the wrong year (it was just after the new year) and that threw everyone for a loop.  Going through security can be interesting. Some TSA agents will want you take the animal out of the carrier. That's not a great idea for a cat, puppy should be ok but have the collar already on the dog and leash handy. You don't want a loose animal.  I left the cats in the carrier and put through carry on baggage X-ray - seriously doubt it had any impact on their health and was much safer than trying to take them out.   Once you're on the plane and settled, don't take the dog out of the carrier...no matter what. Agree with LB, what will be will be.  They may cry, whine, pee or poop but that's no different than a toddler. Timing fluids/food before you travel will help, but bring along extra food in case of long delays. You will prob want to line the bottom of the carrier with pee pads and bring lots of wipes and baggies.  Good luck! 

2015-02-01 9:55 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master

My SO has flown three dogs in cabin over the years; two from England, and one from the Czech Republic (We are in Vancouver, Canada and their longest leg was from Amsterdam home).  The Staffies were 10 weeks old at the time, and both peed in their carriers.  The Pumi was 16 weeks old and was perfect as far as potty'ing, no accidents at all.  Get some blue paper pee pads for in the carrier and change out when needed.  Make sure they have a chance to poop before boarding, but even if they don't they are unlikely to do so during the flight.  As for barking/whining--most people have earphones in nowadays, but you could always bring along a stash of those cheapie foam ear plugs to hand out (and some apology chocolate or candy).  Likely will not be an issue though.  Congrats on the new family members!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Flying to pick up a puppy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My new puppy (pics)

Started by Global
Views: 630 Posts: 4

2006-01-04 11:05 AM Global

Puppy thoughts Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2040 Posts: 51

2005-11-10 10:24 PM norakraemer

My new puppy (almost)

Started by Zilla
Views: 1233 Posts: 17

2005-04-07 3:06 AM Zilla

Our new puppy!

Started by I_tri
Views: 1098 Posts: 10

2005-03-28 5:16 PM Whizzer

Cutest Puppy EVER!

Started by kimj81
Views: 977 Posts: 9

2005-03-16 1:44 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.