General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I use flat pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-01 8:03 PM

User image

Subject: Can I use flat pedals?
I made the transition to clipless pedals a year ago and have hated every moment of it. I've fallen over multiple times during emergency stops and maneuvers. It is a pain to get clipped in. Transitioning from the bike to the run is a bigger pain because I have to switch shoes.

This week on my club ride, I stopped and threw on my running shoes halfway through, thus using my clipless pedals like they were flat pedals. I instantly felt faster, more confident and had way more fun.

Is it really that bad to ride with flat pedals?

2015-02-01 9:42 PM
in reply to: haitwun

User image

, Illinois
Subject: RE: Can I use flat pedals?
Most people are going to tell you yes there's an advantage, but there are some reputable studies that have been conducted that say no. For you, I think it's irrelevant. Being more relaxed and feeling more confident is going to be a bigger advantage.
2015-02-01 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Is it "that bad"?

Nope.

If you're uncomfortable on them, constantly bailing on them, uncomfortable, any benefits are going to be wiped out AND your experience is going to be worse.

Also, I've seen people DEMOLISH others on the bike using flats.

Do what's comfortable for you
2015-02-02 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

As mentioned there have been some studies done (one very recently) that suggest no difference in power transfer between being clipped in or not.

The discussion should really be centered on intended distance and support for the feet.  Over a short distance there's probably not much of an issue but over a longer distance you would want the stiffness and support that a cycling shoe would offer over something like a running shoe.  Take your running shoe and bend it.  It bends and flexes quite easily.  Now try that with a cycling shoe.  They don't bend.  There's a reason for that.

2015-02-02 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If it's bad to use platform pedals instead of clipless pedals/shoes, then 50 million kids are just doing it all wrong...

The biggest concern with regular shoes and platform pedals is to make sure your shoe laces aren't dangling where they can get wrapped around the pedal spindle.  When that happens, you won't be able to pedal and you won't be able to get your foot off the pedal and it's usually a surprise so you'll likely find yourself on the ground.  

If you aren't comfortable with clipless pedals/shoes, ride the platforms.  You'll give up a little efficiency.  

I've seen far more catastrophes from people using clipless pedals than platforms.  In triathlons, the mount/dismount line is the most likely place for someone to fall over trying to clip in/out.  

2015-02-02 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

KEEP those shoe laces tucked in!

2015-02-02 8:24 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Exton, PA
use elastic laces to avoid shoe lace problems!
2015-02-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mike761

use elastic laces to avoid shoe lace problems!

I exclusively use speed laces now, even on work shoes!
2015-02-02 11:42 AM

User image

Everyone falls when learning clipless. It is really up to you if you want to go back to platforms, but considering you have already made the investment, I would give it more of a chance. Keep practicing in an empty parking lot until unclipping and clipping back in becomes second nature.
2015-02-02 11:46 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
I switched to flat pedals on my Mtn bike last season while learning more technical stuff. I do have sticky rubber shoes and pedals with nubs- but I really don't see a big difference in my power that way.

I think if you're more comfortable go for it. Maybe do some research on pedals and shoes though- there are way better pedals than the flat plastic ones with reflectors that came with your bike.
2015-02-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Gman makes the best point. True, it has not been proven it creates more power, but the stiff sole will definitely transfer the power better, plus, what if you maybe want to get out of the saddle and still have a secure and efficient pedal stroke? Clipless will be much better. We've all had growing pains with the clipless pedals. If you have a trainer, then just try them out there for the first few sessions, or practice clipping in/out. If you're having trouble clicking on because of the position of the pedal, then maybe look for double sided entry pedals such as speedplays or some of the Shimano SPD's (mountainbike/cross cleats usually).

2015-02-02 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Is it really that bad to ride with flat pedals?

It's not.
But, at some point in the future, give yourself more time to learn to ride clipless pedals. There is a learning curve, but its worth it.

What brand of pedals were you using with clipless? For another intermediate step, you could try a shimano SPD pedal and shoe combo. Very very easy to engage and escape. And yet another option with flat pedals, if you're gonna do any events or solid miles, are these (even without the velcro straps):
http://pyroplatforms.com/Page2.html

(fyi, no connection between us and this company, they just have a pretty cool product.)

2015-02-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Sensei
Sin City

If using something that makes you uncomfortable and tense and might even keep you off the bike, then it's not "bad" to get rid of it.

However, there is a reason that any pro cyclist or triathlete, or even cycling enthusiast use clip less.  Yes, the learning curve can be scary (and even painful) but after 20 years of using them, I can't even fathom going without.  ESPECIALLY when mountain biking when the rough terrain can actually have your feet slipping off platforms.

I would suggest do what's comfortable if you must, but I would really work on getting over the clip-less fear.

2015-02-02 3:47 PM

User image

If it makes you happy and you enjoy your bike more then I say go for it! I had a terrible time learning to clip in and out and then I heard about Time iclic pedals. They were my saviors because I was just like you and had fallen so many times with the SPD pedals I was ready to just go back to flat pedals! They might help you or you might just be happy on your flat pedals - unless you are doing this triathlon thing for a living I would just do what feels best!!!

Patti
2015-02-02 3:47 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you're having a hard time getting in and out, perhaps they need to be adjusted so that you can clip in and out easier / with less force.
2015-02-03 1:37 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

What kind of clipless pedals do you have? Some types (like SPD) are harder to use than others (Speedplay, say) and some people find it hard to ever get comfortable using them.

Flat pedals give up so much over clipless.  I have flat pedals on my tandem, and at every moderate or more bump my feet flop around.  I have to pedal carefully to keep my feet properly positioned. I couldn't imagine doing standing climbs with flat pedals.

2015-02-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brucemorgan

What kind of clipless pedals do you have? Some types (like SPD) are harder to use than others (Speedplay, say) and some people find it hard to ever get comfortable using them.

Flat pedals give up so much over clipless.  I have flat pedals on my tandem, and at every moderate or more bump my feet flop around.  I have to pedal carefully to keep my feet properly positioned. I couldn't imagine doing standing climbs with flat pedals.

When I went to test-ride a mtb with flats on it, I almost did just that as soon as I hit a bit of a climb as I was so used to being clipped in! :p
2015-02-04 4:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2015-02-04 8:24 PM
in reply to: #5089533

, North Carolina
If you've put a year in and still hate it going back to flats might not be a bad choice.

However, if it is still that bad it might be an equipment problem. Post up what you're using.
2015-02-04 11:07 PM
in reply to: #5090657

Iowa City, Iowa
I have cages on my pedals. My bike came with shimano spd Pedals but I have not invested in a pair of cycling shoes yet. Even in these I have accidentally fallen over when coming to a stop but I have to admit in my first sprint triathlon last year it was a swift T2 since I already had my running shoes on. I will probably keep this setup for the next two years (unless I find a cheap used pair of shoes in good condition) or likely wait until I get my new bike in 2017. As others have voiced, do what feels comfortable for your riding.
2015-02-05 7:38 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by ChemNerd23
I will probably keep this setup for the next two years (unless I find a cheap used pair of shoes in good condition) or likely wait until I get my new bike in 2017. As others have voiced, do what feels comfortable for your riding.

Fyi, if it helps, you can find lots of cheap used cycling shoes in good condition on ebay.

2015-02-05 9:02 AM

Elite

I completely understand that sick feeling of being locked to a bike while it is tipping over.  It really make you want to ditch the clipless pedals.  But, the clipless are really more efficient and safer for some kinds of riding situations.

I rode flat pedals or pedals with cages for about 40 years before clipless pedals were invented.  I got into some really bad pedaling habits.  I tend to put some weight on the back pedal that works against my downstroke.  The weight is needed to keep the foot in contact with the pedal for flats.  On clipless pedals you can totally take the weight off and hence gain efficiency.  If you have access to a trainer, try this exercise.  Pedal along as normal at first, then try lightening up your feet especially on the upstroke and keep pedaling the same cadence.  It feels so much easier.  This is why it is worth it to learn to use clips for efficiency. And it is better not to get the bad habits ever started.  My poor pedaling technique is a big reason why I am still a back of the back of the pack cyclist.

There is another safety reason for using clipless pedals.  You many never had hit a bump hard enough or fast enough to knock your feet off the flat pedals.  Believe me it is quite possible if you don't see a speed bump in a parking lot in near dark.  The outcome is really not pretty.  Clipless pedals (or straps) keep your feet on the pedals and at least give you a chance to save the crash and the skin.  

I don't know how you went about learning to use clipless pedals but I practiced stopping and unclipping a lot before heading out for a ride.  i went around the block in the neighbor, unclipping and putting a foot down at each corner, first one foot then the other.  I practiced going fast then braking hard to a stop and unclipping too.   I practiced turning the wheel just a bit toward the unclipped foot to ensure that I come to rest on the unclipped side.  Sticking the unclipped leg out a bit helps too if things start going the wrong way.

If you have done the practicing and still don't like them, go with the flats.  I know a few others who tried them and just could not get comfortable.  They will tell you it is not a terrible thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I use flat pedals? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Most Efficient Way of Pedaling - Flat Pedals Win

Started by C_Hassard
Views: 1555 Posts: 9

2014-11-04 10:09 AM JohnnyKay

new "used" bike, what pedals?

Started by slaird
Views: 1320 Posts: 12

2011-11-25 1:27 PM aquagirl

Flat pedals for short races

Started by pipsyboy
Views: 3004 Posts: 21

2011-05-05 1:51 PM Dave Luscan

How long to get used to clipless pedals?

Started by TheEdge
Views: 4989 Posts: 21

2010-06-16 10:25 PM thedallasceliac

How long to get used to clipless pedals?

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1176 Posts: 20

2006-05-07 8:32 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 1
Efficiency and energy conservation are key to faster cycling

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 0
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.