General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long does it take to train fro 1/2 IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-01 11:45 PM

Subject: How long does it take to train fro 1/2 IM
Hello there. I am new to this community and am getting very inspired by reading everyone's posts. How long does it take for a beginner to train for a half Iron Man? I am a runner ( a bit out of shape now but can still do 8 miles out of practice and used to run 50+ miles a week a few years back) but have not swam for 25 years (water polo in college) and do not bike. I would like to sign up for a half IM for something to train for and prefer longer runs so think I'd prefer longer swims, rides also. I have been looking over the training plans but am not sure which one to pick.I saw there were some 1/2 IM in late summer in California and wondered if that is too soon. I do have full time job, young kids, etc so time is relevant.

2015-02-02 3:33 AM
in reply to: dvsalk

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: How long does it take to train fro 1/2 IM
my first thought is to suggest focusing on a shorter tri to get back into swim and get some bike confidence. Your HIM idea is aggressive with no biking background and you need to re-vamp your swim. HIM's are definitely stepping into the realm of serious endurance, and you need to have a realistic path to achieving this goal. Mistakes are not well tolerated at this level.

typically a beginner will need about 5-6 months to be well prepared for a HIM. This will vary with the learning curve for the bike and getting back to where you can swim decently.

I would suggest finding someone to help you get into cycling. Perhaps a coach would be in order but in lieu of that, a tri training group might be something to look into.

if you are really serious about jumping into a HIM, I'd put some money into someone who can help guide you and help you grow and follow a plan.

2015-02-02 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
There are a couple of layers to an answer to that question. The general answer is yes, you can get ready for a HIM in 6 months. But a couple of other strong considerations.

First, you are going to be very at risk for injury so take it SLOWLY. A friend and I were talking yesterday that when someone tells us they are training for a marathon or long course tri with little or no background we can pretty much schedule the next conversation when they are going to be telling us about their knee, hip, whatever.

Second, perhaps think more about the training and progress than wanting to get to a HIM. I've been doing this pretty seriously for about 5 years and I have yet to do a full IM. Partially due to time considerations but more because I have the rest of my life for that and I am enjoying really dialing in the Oly and half length right now. I'll get around to the full at some point. (I realize this is a unique viewpoint in the tri community but I don't really mind).
2015-02-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #5089568

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses. I will definitely take the advice to start with something shorter. I was thinking that I don't feel as drawn to the actual HIM race as I am to logging the hours to get there. But I am definitely one of those people who hurts this and that from inconsistency around running so I'd likely do the same here xs three. Thanks for the guidance.
2015-02-02 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I went from doing a 5km race with some mountain biking experience and no swimming to a Half Iron man in 1 year. I started with an Olympic plan over the winter then rolled into a HIM plan through the spring. I had a family issue over the summer that really took all of the wind out of my sails and did the HIM at the end of the summer. I wasnt the fastest, it wasnt the easiest but I did it.
2015-02-02 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did a HIM with 4 months of training (5:36 time) with no experience.  Weekly hours started around 8 and peaked at 12.  I did one sprint tri the year before.

2015-02-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5089685

User image

It is definitely possible to do a HIM with 6 months of training. The key, in my humble opinion, is consistency with your training. I followed Matt Fitzgerald's Super Simple Half-Ironman plan (Google it and you will find it....and, it's free) and it prepared me to "finish" the race....which I did.

I also used his plan for my 1st full last year. They are very easy to follow and are manageable from an hours perspective.

I have two boys, 5 & 2.5, so I understand the family commitments. I don't think a coach is completely necessary if you just want to "finish." If you want top 10% of your age group (or top 10% overall) I think a coach is almost necessary.

Good luck.
2015-02-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Im on a 20 week plan but have a background in biking. Swimming and running are taking some time to get use too but im just logging the hours and not pushing too hard yet.
2015-02-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Katy, Texas
I did my first half IM after 8 months of training and finished in 4:59.

I had a background similar to yours, I was a runner (averaging between 25-40 miles/week depending on what I was training for). I had absolutely zero experience on the bike and was an OK swimmer in high school but hadn't been in the pool for 18 years. IMHO, coming in with a running background is your best bet at completing a longer course tri sooner, simply because it takes the longest for your body to get acclimated to running due to the impact. Swimming and biking, being low, to no impact allow a noob like you or I a bit more ease of entry. After 8 months my swimming is now my strongest sport, but the bike is still lagging way behind.

I would highly, highly recommend doing some shorter races along the way, just to get used to the rhythm and logistics. I did one international distance tri (which down in this area is right between a sprint and an oly) and two olympics before my half.
2015-02-03 10:03 AM

One more thing about this: If I am going to do a sprint or two to get introduced to transitions and all of that, should i still be following the half marathon training plan or just follow the sprint plan, do it, then train for HIM? There is a sprint in april or may I could easily do I think but I am wondering if I should commit to a HIM now or wait until Sprint is under my belt. Thanks so much for all the great replies!
2015-02-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by GAUG3

I did a HIM with 4 months of training (5:36 time) with no experience.  Weekly hours started around 8 and peaked at 12.  I did one sprint tri the year before.

I am in the same boat. 1 Olympic tri and I will do another right before the HIM. It really depends on age, how much preparation you put in on a weekly basis and how strong you currently are.. I think with what I read it would probably be best to shoot for a sprint/olympic distance first and move your way up. Course/time of year also matters.. If you can wear a wetsuit and the course is "fast" it would be helpful but I wouldn't rush into anything .

Originally posted by dvsalk

One more thing about this: If I am going to do a sprint or two to get introduced to transitions and all of that, should i still be following the half marathon training plan or just follow the sprint plan, do it, then train for HIM? There is a sprint in april or may I could easily do I think but I am wondering if I should commit to a HIM now or wait until Sprint is under my belt. Thanks so much for all the great replies!

I would follow the HIM training if you feel that your body is strong enough to, just dont push too hard and break down/give up.

Edited by lyttleviet 2015-02-03 11:18 AM

2015-02-03 11:39 AM

With your water polo and running background, you will be more than adequately prepared with 4 months of serious training. 

6 months for a more reasonable and gradual schedule, but you have all the skills you need already - you just need the experience with bumping up the volume in training. 

2015-02-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas

What is your goal? To finish, or will you be shooting to kill it? Like others have said, with a strong running background it shouldn't be too hard considering you used to be a good swimmer, you can get that back pretty quickly with a few months in pool. Not to sound snooty, but 70.3 miles really isn't that hard if you train right AND the goal is to complete the race before cutoff time FOR someone who has some endurance racing/training background. Starting from scratch, sure it can be extremely difficult, but you used to run a lot, so that isn't you. Now if you want to get in the XX% of the field then once again, a whole different story. So what's the end game for HIM number 1?

It will take time and a good talk with the spouse and figuring out when to train can help problems down the road. Make the plans and goals realistic to how much time you can devote to training while still being a great father and husband.

Edited by toodamnbroke 2015-02-03 11:44 AM
2015-02-03 12:14 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Originally posted by toodamnbroke

What is your goal? To finish, or will you be shooting to kill it? Like others have said, with a strong running background it shouldn't be too hard considering you used to be a good swimmer, you can get that back pretty quickly with a few months in pool. Not to sound snooty, but 70.3 miles really isn't that hard if you train right AND the goal is to complete the race before cutoff time FOR someone who has some endurance racing/training background. Starting from scratch, sure it can be extremely difficult, but you used to run a lot, so that isn't you. Now if you want to get in the XX% of the field then once again, a whole different story. So what's the end game for HIM number 1?

It will take time and a good talk with the spouse and figuring out when to train can help problems down the road. Make the plans and goals realistic to how much time you can devote to training while still being a great father and husband.

Great advice here! Nice to see another Houstonian
2015-02-04 9:35 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

My goal is definitely just to finish my first half Ironman. This is all new to me. I actually just borrowed a friends bike so I could try to go on a bike ride before I start shopping. I do not have any gear bicycle clothing wet suit etc. I have received some very strong advice in this form already. I am super grateful. I feel like you all have saved me many many many hours of research. Thank you so much.
2015-02-05 8:02 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas

My goal is definitely just to finish my first half Ironman. This is all new to me. I actually just borrowed a friends bike so I could try to go on a bike ride before I start shopping. I do not have any gear bicycle clothing wet suit etc. I have received some very strong advice in this form already. I am super grateful. I feel like you all have saved me many many many hours of research. Thank you so much.

You also might want to start thinking about a budget for all the crap. So from a running background you know little things start to add up... shoes, fuel, water bottles etc.... Just multiply it with 2 more sports, cycling being the most expensive. Could be another convo to have with the wife depending how your family handles the money. It doesn't have to WAY out of control, but it can...... just be aware. The bike is an important purchase, or atleast it was to me. I had what a thought was a SUPER expensive mountain bike before I started tri ($400) and an old 1990ish steel road bike that I barely road. I did my first sprint on the road bike and I KNEW I was hooked. So I started looking at TRI only bikes because I knew that's what I wanted. You can ride road bikes, and other bikes too, you can get used bikes, and new bikes and ride friends bikes, but I say after you start riding, and maybe get a race under your belt, then start seriously thinking about how far you want to go in the sport. Then get the best bike for your budget to get you there so you aren't wasting money on this cheaper bike, then get another bike, then another.... There are hundred's to thousands of threads on all the boards about this bike and that, this type and that..... get ready for lots of reading.

With all this said, the best thing is just to get out there and start having fun and see where it goes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long does it take to train fro 1/2 IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM training (weekend long ride/run)

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 2513 Posts: 15

2014-04-13 2:25 AM tlancer23

Long Runs w\ IM Training

Started by GAUG3
Views: 2490 Posts: 21

2013-10-12 1:32 AM Baowolf

No long runs for IM training?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1269 Posts: 10