General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another PF Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-02 7:45 AM

User image

Harare
Subject: Another PF Thread
Hi all,

Was hoping for some wisdom from all of you who have been battling plantar fasciitis. A bit of background: I always have considered myself a runner before a triathlete. Last year my A race was Two Oceans Ultra (56km), which I trained for and finished relatively injury free, although I had an early diagnosis of patellar tendonopathy (4 months before the race). After Two Oceans I decided to focus my off season on transitioning to minimalist shoes, after reading Born to Run and lots of other things that convinced me my knee problems were related to my heel strike. I did everything according to the book, very slow transition, rotating shoes, some drills for my form, etc. I felt good running, but once I got up above 7 or 8 kms I started to have calf pain, and eventually had a minor strain that kept me from running for a month. Feeling frustrated, I switched back to my bulky pronation control shoes, and did just a couple of short 5-7km runs.

Then I started having foot pain. Nothing major, and not the horror stories I've read about PF, but I got checked out by the sports doctor anyway. He said I had some very minor plantar fasciitis, and I needed to take at least 3 weeks off of running. He prescribed me an NSAID to take at night, and told me to get some neutral shoes. His opinion was that I had changed my stride with my minimalist shoes, but that my calves weren't strong/flexible enough to do much distance in minimalist shoes. But when I switched back to pronation control shoes my feet didn't like them with my new stride, thus the injury. (He's a long-course triathlete, for what it's worth)

I took almost a full month off running, and am now easing back into my routine with neutral shoes. But after running only 20 miles in all of January, nothing more than 7km at once, I've got mild foot pain again. I can definitely run through this discomfort, but I don't want it to degenerate. It's incredibly frustrating, going from 40-50 km / week to less than 10 and still feeling tentative about over-training. How have you all dealt with this? My A race this year is Savageman 70, and while I've got plenty of time to rest and still build up running volume, eventually I am going to need to increase time on the road. Any advice?

2015-02-02 11:43 AM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Another PF Thread
Daniel I feel your frustration. Ii went from a drop 12 shoe to a drop 8 to finally drop 4 and I love them too. I feel so clunky in a drop 12 now that I have gone to a drop 4. I also used a fairly aggressive training plan, for an old person, for the marathon, lots of hill repeats and speed work. I had to drop out of a 50K race in December and a marathon next week due to PF.

My orthopedic dr told me to stretch my calves a minimum of 5 X per day doing basic calf stretches and hold each stretch for at least 1 minute. Also freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot out. The Dr also gave me a boot to sleep in and it helps when I first wake up but not the rest of the day. I tried the strassberg sock and it didn't work for me as my toes wanted to curl in, instead of staying flexed up. My wife loved the marble pickups and I do them but it is not a big thing for me.

NOW I'm finally getting a little relief. believe it or not I read an article about having a tight butt could cause PF, well my wife has the Brazilian Butt lift exercise program. I have "tried" to do it a few times and it is SO hard but now I'm finally getting a little relief. Do a lot of walking lunges,and back lunges, and side lunges, do leg kickbacks and all that stuff. I'm still working on it but those are just a few things to try. By the way, I ran my marathon in Nov and haven't run since due to a stress fracture. The dr said it was probably from my calves and tendon being so tight.
karl
2015-02-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

Subject: RE: Another PF Thread
My story is similar. I tried switching from stability shoes to Kinvaras and a more fore-foot strike. Ended up with PF. I continued to run (which doesn't help) for about 5 months. Basically tried everything that you can think of to fix it. What ended up getting rid of it was Shockwave therapy and 4 months of no running. I'm now back into my stability shoes running pain free with a minor heel strike. As bulky as the stability shoes may feel, it's better than dealing with PF. The best advice I can give is to stop doing whatever caused it, and rest it until it's better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another PF Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yet another PF thread.....?

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1049 Posts: 4

2008-03-07 6:20 AM skijour

Does PF ever go away?

Started by pamelaO
Views: 2514 Posts: 21

2008-02-25 3:07 PM aggiecatcher

PF treatment