General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Wheels with Valve extenders- don't stay pumped up... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-02 12:42 PM

Subject: New Wheels with Valve extenders- don't stay pumped up...
Hey Guys,

I got a used set of Planet X tri spoke carbon wheels with Zipp Tangente tires on them... the little bit that I've been able to get out between snow just for a tiny ride, I love them! The only thing, they do not stay inflated after a day or so. The guy I got them from said that it is simply the nature of when you use valve extenders, that the tires just don't hold the air as well and eventually will deflate, so I would just need to pump them up the morning before a race (or before any ride for that matter). I have been doing some research of my own, and I feel like he probably just didn't use teflon tape when he was installing the valve extenders, because it doesn't seem to make sense to me that the tires wouldn't stay inflated.

Is there any truth to what he said? That it is simply the nature of valve extenders that they will slowly lose air? If not, is there a way to remove the extenders and add teflon tape (if he didn't) without having to fully take off the tubulars and get them reglued and everything? Thanks for your help everyone!

2015-02-02 1:07 PM
in reply to: Hmk1115

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: New Wheels with Valve extenders- don't stay pumped up...
Hi,

Tubulars all have Latex tubes sewn up inside them, so they will naturally lose air pressure considerably quicker than a butyl tube would. It's possible the Valve extender is contributing (most people just screw the extender on the end and leave the valve core itself in the open position as opposed to removing the core and screwing it into the top of the extender) but most latex tubes will lose enough air that they will need to be inflated before every ride.

Also no, you'll need to remove and re-glue the tires to get to the valve.
2015-02-04 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
You've probably seen the article I linked in below. It tells you everything you could ever want to know about valve extenders.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Valve_Extender_How-To_3007.html

Are you dealing with a removable core style extender? If not, the "seals" really don't matter because the extender only sees pressure when you're pumping the tire. It doesn't hold any pressure when you're riding.

If you have a removable core relocated to the end of your extender, you should be able to remove it and reseal it without removing the tire, but I wouldn't recommend removing the extender from the tire stem itself to reseal that joint unless you're prepared to remove the entire tire.

However, I second the above comments about latex. I ride latex clincher tubes pretty regularly, and my tire pressure will drop substantially overnight. This is all about the tube material and very likely has nothing to do with the extenders.
2015-02-06 7:05 AM
in reply to: #5089762

User image

Expert
Not all tubulars have latex inner tubes.

Yes, you will need to remove the tire or at least a good sized section of it to dissemble the valve and apply Teflon tape. While there put some electrical tape around the valve so it does not chatter against the inside of the wheel.

2015-02-07 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
There is some confusion here.
Ok, you have tubular tires on these wheels. But you're not sure if they have latex tubes. So let's narrow this down:

If your tires do have latex tubes inside, then, yes, you will need to top them off with air every day that you ride (even if there are no leaks from valve stems or other places). But if they have the more common butyl tubes inside, then you do not have to inflate them very regularly (i.e., no more or less than typical bike tubes/tires).

Valve extenders:
If you have the more common 'tube' type valve extenders (these are essentially hollow tubes that just screw on to your valves, like those sold by zipp and many others), then teflon tape won't really affect your leaking issue.

Yes, you still should use teflon tape on these type of extenders (we use these type of extenders and use teflon tape on all of them). If you fail to use teflon tape on them, then during inflation they will indeed leak from the extender/valve gap *while* you're pumping. You still might be able to fill them (it will take you a lot longer), but they won't leak *after* you're finished with the inflation process.

However, if you have less common 'removable core' type valve extenders (these are extenders that require you to remove the valve from your tube), then teflon tape will absolutely affect your leaking issue. If fail to seal these with teflon tape, there will be a leak between the extender/valve gap all of the time. Your tires will not hold air for any duration.

(A bit off topic, for this reason, the hollow valve extenders are more fail safe. If they fail, yes, you'll have some trouble during filling, but otherwise the tubes will still hold air. But if removable core valve extenders fail, you will lose air immediately, you won't even be able to ride.)

Hope that helps,
Greg @ dsw

2015-02-07 6:01 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by magic

Not all tubulars have latex inner tubes.

Yes, you will need to remove the tire or at least a good sized section of it to dissemble the valve and apply Teflon tape. While there put some electrical tape around the valve so it does not chatter against the inside of the wheel.

ok... all the good tubulars

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Wheels with Valve extenders- don't stay pumped up... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Valve extenders

Started by RomanP
Views: 2191 Posts: 8

2012-07-27 11:13 AM cxk9758

Z8 808 Valve Extenders

Started by pseudoyams
Views: 654 Posts: 2

2008-06-02 3:21 PM enginerd

valve extender

Started by baggyman
Views: 1019 Posts: 10