General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM Training Plan comments/tips needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-03 1:16 PM

User image

New user

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Half IM Training Plan comments/tips needed
Hi all,

Just signed up for my first HIM distance happening in 5 months.
I have done sprint tris in the past and will do my first olympic distance in May.
I am looking for the opinion of more experience triathletes on whether my goal is achievable with my below training plan - my goal being to finish around 6.5hr.

Since early December, my training has been as below:

Monday AM - Swim 30min - Drills
Monday PM - Bike 1hr - Speed drills

Tuesday AM - Swim 30min - 20min swim with 10min drills in the middle
Tuesday PM - Run 5miles - Hills and speed work

Wednesday AM - Swim 45min to 1hr - Usually at a 1:45 pace so approximately a 1.6 to 2 mile swim
Wednesday PM - Core & leg workout 1 hour

Thursday AM - Swim 30min - Drills
Thursday PM - Bike 1.5hrs - Avg 18mph

Friday AM - Swim 45min - Steady swim at 1:40 pace
Friday PM - Run 6 miles

Saturday REST - ahhh

Sunday - Brick - Ride 2hrs + run 8 miles

There are always small variations to the schedule but the above is a good idea of what I've been putting in my training.
I've realized that in the next month or so I should start focusing on volume/time rather than speed. Right now when I train, I have a distance in mind and try to get to it as fast as I can. It's been working fine as my speed and strength have gone up, but I need to build more endurance and increase my volume.
This is all based on what I have found doing research online, in books, talking to people, but most importantly what I feel my body can take.

I know I can finish a half distance. But can I finish it in 6hr30min? that's another question.

Any tip, comment, advice, or bit of info will be much appreciated!!!

Enzo

2015-02-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: EnzoA

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Half IM Training Plan comments/tips needed

Originally posted by EnzoA Hi all, Just signed up for my first HIM distance happening in 5 months. I have done sprint tris in the past and will do my first olympic distance in May. I am looking for the opinion of more experience triathletes on whether my goal is achievable with my below training plan - my goal being to finish around 6.5hr. Since early December, my training has been as below: Monday AM - Swim 30min - Drills Monday PM - Bike 1hr - Speed drills Tuesday AM - Swim 30min - 20min swim with 10min drills in the middle Tuesday PM - Run 5miles - Hills and speed work Wednesday AM - Swim 45min to 1hr - Usually at a 1:45 pace so approximately a 1.6 to 2 mile swim Wednesday PM - Core & leg workout 1 hour Thursday AM - Swim 30min - Drills Thursday PM - Bike 1.5hrs - Avg 18mph Friday AM - Swim 45min - Steady swim at 1:40 pace Friday PM - Run 6 miles Saturday REST - ahhh Sunday - Brick - Ride 2hrs + run 8 miles There are always small variations to the schedule but the above is a good idea of what I've been putting in my training. I've realized that in the next month or so I should start focusing on volume/time rather than speed. Right now when I train, I have a distance in mind and try to get to it as fast as I can. It's been working fine as my speed and strength have gone up, but I need to build more endurance and increase my volume. This is all based on what I have found doing research online, in books, talking to people, but most importantly what I feel my body can take. I know I can finish a half distance. But can I finish it in 6hr30min? that's another question. Any tip, comment, advice, or bit of info will be much appreciated!!! Enzo

what pace is your run?  i would get rid of the brick workout. pesonally i lose the "brick" feeling after 5-10 minutes.  are you doing that because you can only fit the long ride and long run on the same day?  i would separate the long run and long ride.

2015-02-03 1:57 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

New user

7' to 7'30" pace is usually what I run.

I do the long ride and long run together mostly to get my body used to it... I've done 12m runs on an empty stomach just to simulate what could happen on race day if I couldn't hold anything down...

I can separate the long ride and long run but thought it'd be good to combine them and get used to it... Wrong I guess?!
2015-02-03 2:18 PM

User image

The purpose of training isn't always to simulate race conditions.  There are some aspects that touch on it, but in general, the purpose of your training is to simply build up fitness.  Doing your long ride and long run on the same day, every week, is not the greatest way to accomplish that because you are putting so much training load into one day that it will require you to rest before that day, and recover after it.  Thus, you actually end up training less overall as you put your body in a constant state of rest and recovery...rather than just training consistently and spreading your training load more evenly.

One thing most beginners don't realize is that your fitness gains is a result of ALL of your training.  Not just the really long stuff.  Those 30 minute runs, 60 minute rides, 45 minute swims...they all count, and you should not be sacrificing shorter workouts just to make your longer workouts longer.  Running 5 hours per week is running 5 hours per week.  Doing three 30 minute runs and one 3.5 hour run is not *better* than just running five times for one hour.

It seems like you have a solid base of fitness looking at your training swim and run paces, so 6.5 hours sounds pretty reasonable based on that limited information.  I would suggest separating your long run and long ride.  You can still have a rest day if you want, but maybe instead of a total rest day, just do an optional 30 minute easy run so you can get in a 4th run per week.

You can still do bricks if you want, but as already mentioned, you don't have to run that much after you ride unless you are time crunched.  A 15-25 minute run after you ride is plenty as far as getting used to the feeling.  As far as longer bricks to dial in your pacing, I personally don't do more than a 3 hour ride and a 45 minute run.  And I maybe do that 2-3x total in training for a HIM.

Just my 2 cents though...

2015-02-03 2:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user

I hear your reasoning and had read similar advice in other threads.
Will definitely correct the long run and ride and re-adjust all of that.
Thanks a lot.
2015-02-03 3:00 PM

Originally posted by EnzoA

Hi all,

Just signed up for my first HIM distance happening in 5 months.
I have done sprint tris in the past and will do my first olympic distance in May.

You and I are in the same place in life right now regarding triathlon so I'm interested to see what kind of response you get. I'm preparing for two Olympic distance races (March and April) with a HIM in September. Last year for the sprints I used one of the free plans on BT but I ratched up the hours just because I felt like it. I started out with the 20 week Oly plan and about a month in I made up my own plan using Triathlete Training Bible as my guide. I had planned on using it for the HIM in the fall but I've also looked at the BT plan as well as the Fitzgerald Super Simple Plan.

So I'm new too so don't take this as advice, rather just another new guy's read on things. Based on what you are describing your volume seems to prove that you can complete the race now. Of all the plans that I listed above for my consideration I would say your volume crushes them (at least when you are comparing to the base periods).

But you're not concerned with completing the race, you want to hit a certain time. That's where fitness comes into play and as one of the other posters mentioned, you may be able to achieve greater fitness with a different approach. I'll stop there but that poster's comment is in line with my understanding to the approach. If I were in your shoes I'd probably approach it that way. You also seem to be swimming a heck of a lot. If you're crunched for time maybe eliminate one of those swims and move your runs around to fill that spot

2015-02-03 3:57 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

New user

Yes, it sounds like we're on the same boat you and I.

I started reading the Triathlete Training Bible as well and am getting lots of good info in there.

I also based my training plan on one of the free plans on BT.

Yeah I am definitely going to look into a different approach and take your (and the other guys') advice.

As far as the swimming goes, I work for a swim machine manufacturer so I get to swim at work every morning. Too many people don't have access to pools so having this privilege and not taking full advantage would make me a spoiled brat. Also, if I get my a** chewed on the swim, my boss will kill me ahah.

Thanks for you inputs and good luck on your 2 Olym and the HIM!
2015-02-03 8:40 PM

Thanks! Same to you
2015-02-04 3:52 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
my basic thoughts on your current plan is it's a bit too much for a HIM 5 months out.

I'd dump the 8 miles brick idea. That's either going to hurt you or just burn you out.
I feel the best brick is a long ride with a 20 - 30 min run max. Anymore than that on the on run is unnecessary.

You are swimming a lot (5 days). Hopefully you don't get sick of it, but I'd cut back 1 session on that.

Remember you want to grow your endurance in the span of the 5 months (unless you have other races you aren't mentioning).
Sometimes less is more, especially in the early training phase.

It's easy to get burned out as you get closer to the race date, if you have been powering workouts for over 5-6 months.

I know the sense of feeling like you need to push the fitness level, but it's easy to over-do the whole process and just fizzle.
2015-02-04 4:25 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

^^^ Agree with the "Fizzle" warning. The Half is certainly doable. Just mind your body. Sometimes we don't listen to it, and then either get hurt, or just grow anxious with the training. Remember to enjoy the journey!

2015-02-04 9:22 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

New user

Thanks!

Yes I'm definitely going to separate my long ride and run now.

My 5 swims don't bother me at all, i've been doing it religiously for 6 months now. I work for a company that lets me use our swimming pools year-round. Plus we have swim challenges at work that I use in my training. So even if I weren't swimming to train, I'd still be in the pool.

I'm going to adjust my plan and go from there.

Thanks a lot for your input!

2015-02-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: evad

User image

New user

Thanks!

Yeah, I was competing at national level in a combat sport in my youth and listening to my body was definitely key in my training. It still is. I stick to my training plan as religiously as possible but if I feel something is wrong somewhere, I stop and address the issue. I won't get back in the pool, on the bike, or running until all systems are go.
Thanks for your input
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM Training Plan comments/tips needed Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need IM Training Plan Advice

Started by PanicTour
Views: 2482 Posts: 12

2013-09-24 1:07 PM PanicTour

BT Advanced IM training plan - comments

Started by LazyRiver
Views: 1060 Posts: 3

2013-05-16 2:30 PM axteraa

Run training plan needed for an IM

Started by GDTRFB
Views: 1015 Posts: 5

2012-11-27 9:44 PM tzcoaching

Half IM Training Plan For Olympic Races?

Started by supa-powa
Views: 727 Posts: 7

2009-09-30 3:51 PM supa-powa

Comments on my not-so-scientific training plan?

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 1149 Posts: 6

2005-10-23 11:50 PM MrCjolsen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : January 9, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
comments : 0
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : October 30, 2005
author : Coach AJ
This program should be used for an athlete who has competed in some Sprint and Olympic Distances Races, is looking to move up the Half Ironman Distance.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.