General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Wellington, NZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-03 6:37 PM

Subject: Hi from Wellington, NZ
Hi all!

I'm George, and from Wellington, New Zealand.

I'd been a runner in the past, but upped the distances too quickly, and damaged my knees. It's given me a good appreciation of how to look after my body, and when to push forward and when to pull back.

Happily, I discovered the low impact sport of swimming several years ago, which gave me great joy. Although I've had to cut back the kms in the past when I overswam (~15km/wk) I got a road bike with aero bars about a month ago, and while I thought I'd be slow, it turns out I really like pushing myself and cadence riding. Building pace right now.

I put my money down for an Olympic distance in March (Scorching Triathlon), and my biggest concern has been my running - whether I'd be able to get to a comfortable 10kms without my knees hating me. I hadn't run more than 2km in the last 5 years. It's been a huge relief to realise that cycling is excellent cross-training and gives my legs the stability they need to avoid excessive pronation. Currently doing 6km at 5:40 pace quite comfortably.

Anyhow, the plan is for this March tri, and then a 70.3 in Nov. I figure that gives me a really good amount of time to build a strong base, and either do full distance several months after that, or be very comfortable in half races after that.

2015-02-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: georgedarroch

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Hi from Wellington, NZ

Wow. Welcome to BT!

I'm glad that your development for your Oly is going well. Just be careful. If you've had over-use injuries in the past you are more prone to have them again. I also recommend looking in to some strenth training as well. That and stretching/rolling can be the difference between continuing to improve and being sidelined.

Lots of good info here on BT an if you don't see answers to your questions then ask away.

2015-02-09 6:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here!

Great advice. I should also say that I'm doing a lot of yoga, which seems to help with both injury prevention and recovery. A lot of stretching, and a fair amount of controlled strength work.
2015-02-09 6:32 PM
in reply to: georgedarroch

Master
, California

Also check out the BT Mentor Groups and you can get more direct feedback from a group that works together over the season.  You can lurk in a few of them for awhile until you see which one suits you.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Wellington, NZ Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

hi from nz

Started by Elliot Power
Views: 608 Posts: 2

2010-06-15 11:07 PM rach5928

Hi from NZ

Started by JP-NZ
Views: 588 Posts: 3

2009-07-08 3:45 PM JP-NZ

hi hi hi

Started by woohoo83
Views: 1287 Posts: 3

2008-09-10 1:15 AM mchally

Hi there from NZ

Started by steveim2008
Views: 1073 Posts: 6

2008-06-03 7:25 PM Gerrard

Hi, Hi, Hi, really new to triathlon.........

Started by newadventures
Views: 1242 Posts: 14

2006-05-23 9:17 PM mroylance
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 9, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.