General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Checking in from SW Ohio Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-04 8:56 AM

User image

Subject: Checking in from SW Ohio
Hi!

Thought I would join this community as every time I search something about triathlon I get directed here anyways!

Here is my Triathlon Story for anybody who cares to read:

I have 2 sprint Tri's under my belt from last season (2014), because my decision to start triathlons was made too late last summer to get a whole season under my belt.

I have been an avid cyclist for the past 4 years & then I started running again last year. A gentleman that I frequently saw running at Wright Patterson, AFB (where I work) convinced me to add swimming to the mix & get into tri's. Now I am totally hooked!

I was a 'decent' high school cross-country runner. However, my main competitive sport in HS was swimming where I swam the 500yrd freestyle, to much success. I dropped swimming for the last 15 yrs as I didn't have much opportunity or desire to use it as a workout type. (other than the Navy PT test during my active duty time)

Well, after about 2 months in the pool before my first sprint Tri in August, I was excited and nervous for my first triathlon. Distances were 1000m/17.2mile/4mile --- my time overall was just over 2hrs placing me 3rd in my age group. This event was a huge learning experience and the recovery over the next few days was brutal --- my whole body was frozen with pain. However, in swimming I did wonderfully ... coming out of the water 3rd overall. Then, everybody started screaming past me on the hills during the bike portion. I was truly humbled by how much of a better cyclist I need to become. This was a surprise because I have been riding for years. I was then able to do well on the run and pass a few of those that smoked me on the bike. Figuring out how to train at your weaknesses without sacrificing your strengths is what this sport is all about.

I also have a real old, heavy steel road bike, that I won't be racing this year as a friend has loaned me a modern carbon road bike to train on until I can scrape together enough for a decent entry level Tri-specific Bike. My 2nd tri was on the old steel bike as well, but I was able to speed up 2mph by focusing on proper pedaling technique and being ready for the hills. I felt much better during recovery after the second Triathlon, and I went at a faster pace in each event.

My goals for this year:

(I have been doing a solid 5-10 hrs of training each week through-out the entire off season & built an ATP according to Joe Friel's book.)

1. Not sustain an injury (I got some major knee inflammation that lasted from oct-nov on a 5k running race. Where I stupidly ran way to hard & injured myself...though I did place, LOL)

2. 4-5 local Sprint Tris to improve my cycling speed.

3. One Olympic distance Tri

4. Complete a 70.3 (targeting this as my priority race in late June.)

Overall, I love the Tri-lifestyle. My body has never been in such good shape as it is now as far as cardio fitness & training. Thanks for reading this long-winded intro --- I look forward to any advice & learning from you guys!

2015-02-04 3:36 PM
in reply to: rugerviking

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Checking in from SW Ohio

Welcome to triathlon and welcome to BT.

Thank you for your service. My son is in the Navy.

sounds like you are off to a great start and I'm glad to hear you learned (the hard way) how to deal with injuries. Sounds like even though you were on an older heavy bike you still did well if you placed! You'll be smokin once you can race on the lighter bike.

Listen to your body, rest when it needs it and hopefully you'll keep the injuries at bay.

2015-02-05 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Welcome! I lived near Wright Patt about ten years ago, in Tipp City. My parents still live there and I'm very jealous of the awesome bike path that goes from Troy all the way south of Dayton!
2015-02-05 9:53 PM

User image

Grass Valley, California
hi!
Nice to have you here in the community. Nice how you got to the triathlon sport

I can totally feel how you want to do the half ironman distance.... I was the same after comleting two olympic distance races, but.... give yourself the time it needs. If you feel more than stronf in june and the olympic distance is not enough for you, than go for it.
Always think about: the first tri is for fun and past that it turns into sport, hehe

You wanna finish good and strong and not just finish

Think about that... even with your experience.... Olympic and Half Ironman are two different pair of shoes.

Anyway, wish you a great season with lots of fun training and races !!!

Cheers,

Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Checking in from SW Ohio Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FoggyGoggles Checking in (and checking it out!)

Started by FoggyGoggles
Views: 781 Posts: 3

2011-01-01 11:05 AM CoachH

Greetings from SW Missouri

Started by mgilliland
Views: 766 Posts: 7

2007-10-27 7:56 AM charge4brendan

Another newbie in SW Illinois

Started by samsdad
Views: 503 Posts: 3

2007-04-02 3:08 PM lil_turtle

Hi from sw Georgia - long

Started by DarrellC
Views: 676 Posts: 8

2006-05-10 4:55 PM Ron

Hello, from SW Missouri

Started by JMH85
Views: 613 Posts: 3

2005-04-12 10:47 AM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : August 31, 2004
comments : 0
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...