General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The FLU! How long to rest? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-04 9:53 AM

User image

Subject: The FLU! How long to rest?
so.... I had the flu. Shivering. Sweating. Miserable. Flu. Saturday was the peak. I started feeling decent on Monday. Took off Friday - Tuesday completely. I am still not anywhere near 100% but I am ready to get back on my training schedule even if it is somewhat modified.

Do y'all think I am crazy? My mother tells me to REST. Of course. My husband says "go. To. The. Gym." bcause I am like a mental case trapped at home.

Maybe just hit it but not go hard? Confession: I am typing from my phone on the stationary bike at the gym. Barely pedaling. But I had to GET OUT!

How long do you take to recover from illness? I run through colds and the like but this flu had me WEAK.

2015-02-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: Kellyann76

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The FLU! How long to rest?

I had something similar over New Years - just looked back at my logs to see what I did. I was out SOLID for 6 days. Decided to ride the trainer super easy on the 7th day but noted I was still coughing pretty bad. While I was back at work, I didn't work out on days 8, 9, 10 or 11. Just too wiped out and I was still coughing. Days 12, 13 and 14 I was on the trainer and only coughing mildly. Day 15 I ran and felt back to normal.

2015-02-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hahaha, in the same boat but a cold that knocked me and the DH out. I am still coughing. Had the ugly cough on the way into work - but i couldn't deal with being home anymore. I haven't done any workouts (weather is partly to blame) but walking is great. Feels great to walk and seems to keep the cough at bay. 

2015-02-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had the flu over Christmas and was out of training for 10 days. Slowly eased back in. If you feel like you're on the upswing, you could certainly try an easy bike or swim, and then back off if you feel ill again. I'd give it a full week and then try, but that's just me. Sometimes you can set yourself back more if you get back at it too quickly.
2015-02-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jarvy01Sometimes you can set yourself back more if you get back at it too quickly.

So true.  For this reason, I started checking my resting HR (when I wake up).  If it's higher (8+) than normal, I know I'm about to be attacked before I even feel anything.  It's usually a 2 day warning.  After I feel fine from the sickness, I let the HR settle before going back to hard workouts.

2015-02-04 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
When that happens I just play it by feel - when I feel like I can do something, I go out and try to be light with it. If that first day goes well then I will up it from there, but if not then it's not the end of the world to shut it down for a few days.

2015-02-04 4:19 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Take some time off!! I have had to master the art of taking time off because I have had severe asthma my whole life and every tiny little cold I catch turns into bronchitis or pneumonia (like now). But the flu demands some respect. I know most people have no complications, but as the queen of complications, my advice is to avoid them at all cost! A full week to 10 days off won't kill your training, and may even prevent having to take off more time on the back end! Hope you feel better!
2015-02-05 7:43 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GAUG3

Originally posted by jarvy01Sometimes you can set yourself back more if you get back at it too quickly.

So true.  For this reason, I started checking my resting HR (when I wake up).  If it's higher (8+) than normal, I know I'm about to be attacked before I even feel anything.  It's usually a 2 day warning.  After I feel fine from the sickness, I let the HR settle before going back to hard workouts.

This is good advice.

I can tell if I'm getting sick by my resting HR. If it's 10 beats higher than normal, I know something is up. Sure enough, 24-48 hours later I've come down with something.
2015-02-05 8:08 AM

Master
Northern IL

I wait until I'm better, however long that takes. Training through sickness has never seemed to help anything. Haven't had to get all my energy back as I need to be active for that, but at least need the issues to go away.

Going to the gym risks getting other people sick. Maybe go for a nice walk outside if the need to get out of the house is too strong, but that's about it.

2015-02-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: #5090415

User image

Thank you!!! More rest seems to be the consensus. I will take off a few more days. I needed to hear it from other junkies to believe it!!
2015-02-07 2:07 PM
in reply to: #5090773

User image

Ran a slow and easy 3.5 today. I'm going to live!!!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The FLU! How long to rest? Rss Feed