Other Resources The Political Joe » Brian Williams Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-04 10:33 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Brian Williams

So NBC News anchor Brian Williams admits that he made up the story of being in a helicopter that was hit by an RPG during his coverage of the Iraq war.  And.....he does it by saying that he was in a chopper that was behind the one that got hit and he saw the damage when they landed and over the years he must have become confused and thought he was on the helicopter that was hit.  The best he can do is cover an outright lie with another one.......because we have been eating up these types of lies for as long as he, and people like him, have been in charge of "reporting" the news.  For them, it's all a lie.....and all about viewership.

I have had extensive experience dealing with the news media......there is nothing they won't say, no lie they won't tell, no source they won't misquote, if they think it will help their story.  From my experience, this is nothing but a bright, in your face,  glaring example of what we consider "news" on a daily basis.  Watch and learn.

Despicable.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-02-04 10:39 PM

2015-02-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Brian Williams

Wow, I just saw this.  Despicable.  I'm sorry but I don't by the whole 'foggy memory' story.  A shining example of what is wrong with the media today.  To me this is a disservice to the members of our military who were actually there, in the real danger.

2015-02-05 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

"Misremembering" has been around for a while.

Mark Kirk did it on a Naval Officer of the Year award that he really didn't get.

And don't forget Hillary Clinton getting shot at.

Or Reagan and the penalty he supposedly committed in a football game and then told the refs about which lost them the game.  All because of his honesty.  Thing is, that didn't happen either.

2015-02-05 10:27 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Talking about this on the radio and accounts are coming in that he was an hour behind that he did not even see it. I can see how over 12 years trying to make the story more dramatic the story ends up changing, but this is not even close.
2015-02-05 11:13 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 Talking about this on the radio and accounts are coming in that he was an hour behind that he did not even see it. I can see how over 12 years trying to make the story more dramatic the story ends up changing, but this is not even close.

Yeah, I had read that last night.

I'm sorry.....as far as I'm concerned news "reporters" are no different than a sleazy used car salesman.....truth means nothing, get the sale.  While I agree with the idea of misremembering as some of Crowny's examples illustrate.....it is different to me when you are "reporting".  I also know I'm extremely biased toward the media because of the constant lack of truthfulness and accuracy I have seen.

2015-02-05 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by chirunner134 Talking about this on the radio and accounts are coming in that he was an hour behind that he did not even see it. I can see how over 12 years trying to make the story more dramatic the story ends up changing, but this is not even close.

Yeah, I had read that last night.

I'm sorry.....as far as I'm concerned news "reporters" are no different than a sleazy used car salesman.....truth means nothing, get the sale.  While I agree with the idea of misremembering as some of Crowny's examples illustrate.....it is different to me when you are "reporting".  I also know I'm extremely biased toward the media because of the constant lack of truthfulness and accuracy I have seen.

Agree with LB on this part.  I, sadly, expect politicians and regular folks to lie to my face.  The entire concept of being a reporter is to simply report the story, not make it more interesting or sensational or even exist for that matter.

2015-02-06 2:45 AM
in reply to: Sous

I find it hard to believe anyone could get the facts foggy. In 1985 we dropped a hot bird (SAM1) on the deck when unloading and cracked the nose open. that has been 30 years and I can recall every detail on that. Exactly where I was, what I was doing, all people involved...everything. Now how can anyone be confused about being shot at with a RPG

(bird on deck.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bird on deck.jpg (96KB - 8 downloads)
2015-02-06 6:50 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Puppetmaster I find it hard to believe anyone could get the facts foggy. In 1985 we dropped a hot bird (SAM1) on the deck when unloading and cracked the nose open. that has been 30 years and I can recall every detail on that. Exactly where I was, what I was doing, all people involved...everything. Now how can anyone be confused about being shot at with a RPG

I bet that was crazy......did you hold your ears?

2015-02-06 8:54 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Boy, he's had a tough couple of weeks. First, his daughter's controversial scene in "Girls" and now this.
2015-02-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Ya know, as AGITATING as this story is (esp. when you have family & friends in the military putting their lives on the line) - the one solace I get from it is that there's still a high confidence that the truth finally comes out in most any a scenario. I use examples like Williams (& Lance, and politicians caught, and cheaters in other sports, etc etc) as a constant teaching point in my Health Classes - > "Do with the truth as you wish kids, distort it, manipulate it to suit your personal desires, but in the end, the truth WON'T change and it will come out."
2015-02-07 7:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer Ya know, as AGITATING as this story is (esp. when you have family & friends in the military putting their lives on the line) - the one solace I get from it is that there's still a high confidence that the truth finally comes out in most any a scenario. I use examples like Williams (& Lance, and politicians caught, and cheaters in other sports, etc etc) as a constant teaching point in my Health Classes - > "Do with the truth as you wish kids, distort it, manipulate it to suit your personal desires, but in the end, the truth WON'T change and it will come out."

Your lesson to your kids is a great one......but this is reality as I've seen it:

What you actually know of is almost always just the tip of the iceberg.  Case in point is Brian Williams and an untruthful news media, or Lance Armstrong and doping....they are just high profile cases that usually point to an entire system that is corrupt to some degree.  How many baseball players do you think actually used steroids during the "Barry Bonds et al" baseball era?  I promise the ones you don't know about, and will never know about. is much larger than the ones you have heard of or got caught.

I still think that goodness and fairness is ahead of lying and cheating.......but thinking that everyone on the bad team eventually gets caught is wishful thinking.  The majority of them don't get caught.

I teach my kids the way you teach your classes......but only to try and ensure the good team stays ahead.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-02-07 7:04 PM

2015-02-08 11:55 AM

User image

The NY Times photoshopped pics from the Middle East to show more damage than there actually was.
Another paper (might have been the Times again) had a whole embedded reporter story series about battles where it was found the reporter was never outside of the US.

Hillary apparently was ducking sniper fire in Bosnia when I was there and none of us knew what the hell she was talking about and then everyone else found out she was full of garbage.

It's the way of modern news. Make up whatever the hell you want and sooner or later people believe it.

Joseph Goebbels made it into an art form. Today's media is just repeating those lessons about the big lie.

2015-02-09 10:18 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
Highland, Michigan
2015-02-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: MIKEWOODS

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by MIKEWOODS Here is a whole list of Brian Williams memes: http://www.businessinsider.com/brian-williams-misremembers-memes-20...

That's pretty funny. I've been reading about Scott's polar expedition and came across this photo. I'm thinking that Brian Williams must have been on that voyage too...

(800px-Lawrence_Oates_photo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
800px-Lawrence_Oates_photo.jpg (82KB - 10 downloads)
2015-02-10 9:27 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Originally posted by TJHammer Ya know, as AGITATING as this story is (esp. when you have family & friends in the military putting their lives on the line) - the one solace I get from it is that there's still a high confidence that the truth finally comes out in most any a scenario. I use examples like Williams (& Lance, and politicians caught, and cheaters in other sports, etc etc) as a constant teaching point in my Health Classes - > "Do with the truth as you wish kids, distort it, manipulate it to suit your personal desires, but in the end, the truth WON'T change and it will come out."

Your lesson to your kids is a great one......but this is reality as I've seen it:

What you actually know of is almost always just the tip of the iceberg.  Case in point is Brian Williams and an untruthful news media, or Lance Armstrong and doping....they are just high profile cases that usually point to an entire system that is corrupt to some degree.  How many baseball players do you think actually used steroids during the "Barry Bonds et al" baseball era?  I promise the ones you don't know about, and will never know about. is much larger than the ones you have heard of or got caught.

I still think that goodness and fairness is ahead of lying and cheating.......but thinking that everyone on the bad team eventually gets caught is wishful thinking.  The majority of them don't get caught.

I teach my kids the way you teach your classes......but only to try and ensure the good team stays ahead.

An unfortunate point you make (sighs)
2015-02-10 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

It's interesting, though, that people are quick to write off an entire sport as being dirty, even when only a small percentage of athletes in that sport have been caught cheating. But even though we hear case after case of news outlets and reporters exaggerating or changing facts, or outright making stuff up, most people still tend to assume that what they hear on the news is accurate.

2015-02-10 6:40 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Most people (especially uninformed or uneducated) subscribe to news as a narrative without realizing it no? I'm old enough now to remember watching the news on one station, only to turn to another to hear the news being reported the same way. I woke up one day when I started realizing it sounded differently depending on who was "reporting" it.

And speaking of entire sport being written off as dirty. I spent years in bodybuilding and competed multiple times in what was (at the time) the most natural of sponsors/organizations (A.N.B.C.) At a ripe age of 17, I was on stage beside guys I KNEW were juiced, but had "passed the test." As a teen I was confronted with an inside reality that cheaters will always sneak by, some will get caught, etc. etc. That organization busted a lot of people though, and it was apparent in the resulting size of the competitors. As a result, the attention, sponsors, event sizes, etc., all decreased and the organization folded. That's what they got for doing they hardest to keep the sport natural.

Oh,...and speaking of Scott's expedition, I finally got around to reading "Endurance" - about Shackleton's Antarctic Voyage. Riveting read! Inspiring.

Edited by TJHammer 2015-02-10 6:41 PM
2015-02-11 9:09 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Brooklyn, New York
2015-02-12 8:04 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer Right on time guys: http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/12308988/little-league-strips...

Man, I'm not sure about punishing those kids.  I don't care what they do to the adults in that fiasco......but why drag the kids through it?

2015-02-12 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by TJHammer Right on time guys: http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/12308988/little-league-strips...

Man, I'm not sure about punishing those kids.  I don't care what they do to the adults in that fiasco......but why drag the kids through it?

It is the same way in the NCAA!  How many times can a coach break the rules, get caught, the school gets sanctions and the coach leaves to go to another school without any type of penalty on the coach? (Yeah, I am look at you Coach Cal) We do not seem to punish the right people a lot of the times, many could make an argument for the Penn State penalty being to rough on the players...

I think penalties should follow the coaches around, and very few times does this happen.

2015-02-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

It is the same way in the NCAA!  How many times can a coach break the rules, get caught, the school gets sanctions and the coach leaves to go to another school without any type of penalty on the coach? (Yeah, I am look at you Coach Cal) We do not seem to punish the right people a lot of the times, many could make an argument for the Penn State penalty being to rough on the players...

I think penalties should follow the coaches around, and very few times does this happen.

Yeah, it seems crazy that the coaches get recycled like they do.  Still, at 18-22 years old I would think the players have at least an idea of the rule breaking by the coaches.....so there would be some complicity there.  These kids are 13 years old........I think they just want to play ball.

2015-02-12 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
This is not the first team to DQed and not the last. Being from Chicago Area (soon Chicago itself) I seen how much those kids mean to this city. Watched the games and even met one of the player's dad at a clients site. This is heartbreaking to see. I still hate to say it but rules are rule. I know in my little league days it was always a players dad that coached the team. Usually when the player grew up the coach left.

Why not break a rule if it helps your child without and consequences? Not like the coach in that situation would either since its not his livelihood either.

Don't forget it helps those who lost who followed the rules too.

Edited by chirunner134 2015-02-12 10:58 AM
2015-02-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
So Brian Williams was suspended 6 months without pay. Thoughts?

I can't decide. On the one hand, he's supposed to be a journalist, and what greater crime is there for a journalist but to lie about a story? On the other hand, while what he did was reprehensible and appalling, no one was hurt or slandered or adversely affected in any tangible way by what he did.
2015-02-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I can't decide. On the one hand, he's supposed to be a journalist, and what greater crime is there for a journalist but to lie about a story? On the other hand, while what he did was reprehensible and appalling, no one was hurt or slandered or adversely affected in any tangible way by what he did.

It depends on how one interprets the word "hurt." Nowadays, news reporters don't simply report facts about what happened (if they even do that at all anymore as it is) - but they also form a narrative that is designed to shape and form public opinion. To do this as part of your own agenda as a "news reporter" while ACTUALLY reporting the truth is bad as it is; to do so while perpetuating LIES takes it to another level.
Now, mind you, there are STILL NBC employees in the news industry reporting total BS amidst their personal narrative. They're still employed by NBC, so a "suspension" seems about right for them, because, well, for PR purposes they 'had to do something' no?
2015-02-12 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

It depends on how one interprets the word "hurt." Nowadays, news reporters don't simply report facts about what happened (if they even do that at all anymore as it is) - but they also form a narrative that is designed to shape and form public opinion. To do this as part of your own agenda as a "news reporter" while ACTUALLY reporting the truth is bad as it is; to do so while perpetuating LIES takes it to another level.
Now, mind you, there are STILL NBC employees in the news industry reporting total BS amidst their personal narrative. They're still employed by NBC, so a "suspension" seems about right for them, because, well, for PR purposes they 'had to do something' no?

I guess. I'll admit that I haven't followed every detail of the story that closely, but from what I understand, he lied about his own helicopter coming under fire when in fact it was a different chopper that he hadn't been in. I don't get how that shapes public opinion about anything but Williams himself. I used "hurt" in a pretty broad sense. No one was fired, or jailed or even unfairly maligned by what he said. No classified intelligence about troop positions or movement was revealed to the enemy. What he did was stupid and selfish and dirgraceful from a journalistic pov, but I don't think one can say that anyone was "hurt" by what he did.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Brian Williams Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.