General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Climbing & Weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-05 8:20 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Climbing & Weight
From another thread I posted, got me wondering: For some it's settled that even on climbs, aero wheels are still the better choice over the long haul despite the weight "penalty." For other it's also settled that lighter wheels are better to get you up the mountain. And then, the other, e.g., one of my bud whose not a great climber but good descender (picks up mad speed on the downhill), swear by heavier wheels to help them get down faster.

Wondering then, what BT'ers think about aero vs lightweight when climbing. For context, I'm thinking, say, climbing 1K feet over 2.5 miles.

2015-02-05 8:36 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Climbing & Weight

Need to look at the entire course, so is that what you gave?

2015-02-05 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If all you are doing is climbing, lighter wheels are better. If they are technical descents that require you to break often, lighter wheels are still probably better.  On 99% of triathlon courses this isn't the case, and that would mean that aero wheels are better.

2015-02-05 9:15 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I live in a hilly area and the light wheels definitely make a difference when climbing.

Light weight and aero is the perfect wheel, but you have to balance that based on where you ride and your budget.

As for the heavy wheels on the descent. It's kind of true, he will descend faster but he will get killed going up hill which is what you have to do in order to go down hill. If you look at both the up hill and the down hill you will gain more going up with light wheels than you will going down with heavy wheels.
2015-02-05 9:30 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

DC
Originally posted by mike761

I live in a hilly area and the light wheels definitely make a difference when climbing.

Light weight and aero is the perfect wheel, but you have to balance that based on where you ride and your budget.

As for the heavy wheels on the descent. It's kind of true, he will descend faster but he will get killed going up hill which is what you have to do in order to go down hill. If you look at both the up hill and the down hill you will gain more going up with light wheels than you will going down with heavy wheels.

Judging from your avatar location, I bet we have ridden the same hills. Thanks.
2015-02-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dmiller5

On 99% of triathlon courses this isn't the case, and that would mean that aero wheels are better. 

Especially here in North America.  I can't think of a single race (especially among the more well known national and regional brands) in which a "climbing" wheel would be an advantage over an aero wheel.

2015-02-05 10:05 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

On 99% of triathlon courses this isn't the case, and that would mean that aero wheels are better. 

Especially here in North America.  I can't think of a single race (especially among the more well known national and regional brands) in which a "climbing" wheel would be an advantage over an aero wheel.

Savageman

2015-02-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mike761 I live in a hilly area and the light wheels definitely make a difference when climbing. Light weight and aero is the perfect wheel, but you have to balance that based on where you ride and your budget. As for the heavy wheels on the descent. It's kind of true, he will descend faster but he will get killed going up hill which is what you have to do in order to go down hill. If you look at both the up hill and the down hill you will gain more going up with light wheels than you will going down with heavy wheels.

Of course light wheels make a difference when climbing. The question is what will make your total time faster. The answer is in a triathlon 99% of the time it is the more aero wheel. You get the aero beneftis going downhill, and recover the potential energy due to the wheel weight when you are going back down the hill.

2015-02-05 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Savageman

depends...

If your only goal was to make it up the wall (or savage mtn) then yeah, lightweight wheels would be helpful. As an overall profile though, aero wheels would still save you more time (even if you had to walk up the wall) since there's still a bigger portion of the course that is rollers/downhill.
2015-02-05 10:16 AM

User image

DC

Originally posted by mike761 I live in a hilly area and the light wheels definitely make a difference when climbing. Light weight and aero is the perfect wheel, but you have to balance that based on where you ride and your budget. As for the heavy wheels on the descent. It's kind of true, he will descend faster but he will get killed going up hill which is what you have to do in order to go down hill. If you look at both the up hill and the down hill you will gain more going up with light wheels than you will going down with heavy wheels.

Of course light wheels make a difference when climbing. The question is what will make your total time faster. The answer is in a triathlon 99% of the time it is the more aero wheel. You get the aero beneftis going downhill, and recover the potential energy due to the wheel weight when you are going back down the hill.

Agree 100%. I reckon I failed to set the context of non-race group roadie rides, e.g., 15+% graded hills.
2015-02-05 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Porfirio

Agree 100%. I reckon I failed to set the context of non-race group roadie rides, e.g., 15+% graded hills.

Oh, then obviously not aero wheels. In the group aero doesn't matter much.  And I wouldn't waste my nice wheels in a group ride anyhow.

2015-02-05 10:29 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I was just referring to climbing in general, not really in the context of tri's.

Yes in triathlon the aero always trumps the weight of the wheel.
2015-02-07 2:54 PM

From another thread I posted, got me wondering: For some it's settled that even on climbs, aero wheels are still the better choice over the long haul despite the weight "penalty." For other it's also settled that lighter wheels are better to get you up the mountain. And then, the other, e.g., one of my bud whose not a great climber but good descender (picks up mad speed on the downhill), swear by heavier wheels to help them get down faster.

Wondering then, what BT'ers think about aero vs lightweight when climbing. For context, I'm thinking, say, climbing 1K feet over 2.5 miles.

Pro cycling has your answer. On mountain stages, none of them are running deep dishes.

2015-02-08 3:17 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by ziggie204

Pro cycling has your answer. On mountain stages, none of them are running deep dishes.

Pros don't always do what is best. Either they don't know it, don't want it or are contractually obligated not to do it. In other words: the 'pro way' is neither a necessary nor sufficient gauge for what is best.

To the OP, take a read on this article: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/03/flo-cycling-aero-vs-weight-f...
It is computed and under the quasi-control of a wheel company, so keep that in mind.
2015-02-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Aerodynamics matter much less to the pro cycling race due to drafting.  Exception being TT stages.

2015-02-08 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I'm not buying that heavier wheels are faster on descents. Acceleration due to gravity is a constant. During high speed descents is when I would expect aero wheels to be most important.

2015-02-08 9:55 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

DC

To the OP, take a read on this article: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/03/flo-cycling-aero-vs-weight-f...
It is computed and under the quasi-control of a wheel company, so keep that in mind.

Thanks, man. I did see this. This is actually what prompted me to post the thread.

I'm going to sell my "lighter" boxed wheels afterall & stick to the Flo 30's as my EVERYthing wheel.
2015-02-08 10:17 AM
in reply to: donw

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by donw I'm not buying that heavier wheels are faster on descents. Acceleration due to gravity is a constant. During high speed descents is when I would expect aero wheels to be most important.

In a vacuum, yes, but we're not riding in a vacuum.

Heavier isn't necessarily going to be faster even if it may trend that way. It's still going to depend on the forces pulling vs the forces resisting, just like anywhere else riding the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Climbing & Weight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

weight loss and hill climbing ( cycling )

Started by cmyers72
Views: 5903 Posts: 25

2014-10-14 9:23 PM Stuartap

Run First then Lift weights vs Lift Weights first then run

Started by fireplug30
Views: 2631 Posts: 15

2011-09-30 8:24 AM xine2kgts

Weights or no weights? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by KirkD
Views: 6366 Posts: 124

2011-08-26 11:40 AM mikericci

Bike weight vs Total weight (rider/bike/gear)

Started by Garceau
Views: 2013 Posts: 9

2010-03-28 1:57 PM TriMyBest

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2594 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.