General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Full tri race schedule advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-06 10:53 AM

User image

Subject: Full tri race schedule advice needed
I am planning on doing my first full in September. I pretty well have my training set up, but I am trying to schedule events leading up to September. So far I have an Oly in June and a few sprints sprinkled in as bricks to practice transitions and to get a solid workout. A friend suggested a half one month before the full, but I wanted to see what experienced people suggest. Is a half one month out too much or is that a good idea? I would like to get registration done in the next few days, so hopefully someone can help me out.

2015-02-06 11:17 AM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Full tri race schedule advice needed

Have you done a HIM before?

You should be at or near peak volume a month out and be getting ready for the taper.  IMHO, as long as you treat it as a long training day and not an all out type of race day you should be fine. 

2015-02-06 11:26 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Many training plans have a half iron scheduled for more like 6-8 weeks out from the big day, as volume is typically much higher than 70.3 volume on peak training weekends (3-4 weeks prior). 

2015-02-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: #5091178

User image

I have done halfs, I just worry that 4 weeks is a little close. There is a good somewhat local event about a month to the day from my scheduled full. Definitely looking to complete it as a long training brick, working on relaxing the pace to stretch for the long race.
2015-02-06 2:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

What's the rationale for doing that HIM? It's certainly been done, but having one anywhere in the last couple months is less than optimal for the full. None of the legs are long enough to be of the benefit usually desired at this point in training, but having all three together makes for a sizable training load to recover from.

2015-02-06 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Follow your training plan. You should have plenty of bricks and long workouts without having to do a HIM.

Why add the cost of a HIM to your budget?

You will be fine.

2015-02-09 1:01 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yups recommend HIM 6-8 weeks out, 4 weeks would be too close for me. An IM is too big a deal to risk messing it up, especially a first IM. Take it conservative for a first and then think about it for a 2nd one.
2015-02-09 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Since you said you've done a half before here is what I would recommend:

1) Find a good HIM that mimics the conditions of your Full in Sept that is 6-8 weeks out.
2) I have my more experienced athletes also do a Sprint about 3 weeks out as a 'blow out' race
3) Try and find a Half Marathon in the March/April time-frame
4) Do sprints & Olympics throughout your season.

The Whys:

1) Doing a HIM 6-8 weeks out allows you to test your fitness and more importantly see how your nutrition plan is coming along. This gives you enough time to still fine tune your training if something isn't where it needs to be. 4 weeks out you don't have enough time to change anything. It also gives you a solid lead-in for your peak weeks

2) A sprint a few weeks out lets you blow off some steam and get you ready for taper. You have tons of endurance, so the effort will be less than negligible but tons of mental benefit.

3) Doing a Half marathon early season lets you focus on your run early on and once again see what you're working with as the real season comes along. And for the love of all that's holy, don't think you have to do a marathon before the IM.

4) This just keeps things fun and lets you practice the ins and outs of what you're doing on course.

Hope that helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Full tri race schedule advice needed Rss Feed