General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Acetabular Labral Tear and extra fraying of the labrum in the left hip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-06 7:10 PM

Subject: Acetabular Labral Tear and extra fraying of the labrum in the left hip
Hello! Recently I have been diagnosed with an acetabular labral tear in my left hip with extra fraying. I am a 17 year old softball player and I have no idea what I did to cause this tear. I am very active as well. The next step recommended by my doctor was a cortisone injection right into the hip joint. Should I get that or should I just get the arthroscopy? I know that seems like an irrational Question but I am in a lot of pain, and have a few questions. Do cortisone injections actually work for this? If so, will the pain come back? Will I be able to play spftball this season (the season starts March 16th and I should be getting the injection in a week or two)? If I need the surgery, what is the recovery rate for a girl like me? Also, is this tear always caused by FAI? Thank you for any help!

Edited by cholmgren13 2015-02-06 7:23 PM

2015-02-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: cholmgren13

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Acetabular Labral Tear and extra fraying of the labrum in the left hip
My friend developed this issue from years of ice hockey and he's 40! I was so surprised to hear this happen at 17. Though I know a woman who had TWO shoulder labrum surgeries between ages 15-18 from years of tons of softball pitching. Are you a catcher?
Anyway, make sure you find a highly accomplished orthopedist. Make going under the knife a LAST RESORT. My 40 year old friend has been doing continued physical therapy, dropped some bodyweight and receives routine accupuncture and is yet to go under the knife, and remember , he's 40.

The girl who had the shoulder labrum surgeries: well, her first surgery was botched, and needed new developments in technique at the time (mid 90's) to fix that shoulder up. Her doc eventually became the head doc/ortho surgeon for the NY Giants and her procedure is now referenced in medical texts.
Make the knife the last resort
2015-02-23 12:42 PM

Subject: RE: Acetabular Labral Tear and extra fraying of the labrum in the left hip

the usual course here is PT/cortisone/conservative treatments before surgery. If you had the surgery forget softball this year, you'd be out 4-6 months easy.

I had the surgery in 2011 (I was 34), and frankly have never been the same. I have some complicating disc issues in my back, plus I'm also aging a bit, but I was so excited that this surgery was going to fit everything and I'd be back to racing. Now I have constant nerve pain, seen countless doctors, PTs, Chiro's and none can really fix it. You don't even want to know what's I've spent on it!

Every case is different, mine was obviously not the best outcome, but you really want surgery to be a last, last last resort. Plus you'd want a top surgeon (Bryan Kelly at HSS, for example).

I wish you all the best!

2015-02-24 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Hey! Sorry to hear about your hip. My bf had the same problem, tried to deal with it through physical therapy and rest for over 2 years, but it never got better. I don't think he ever got a cortisone shot. He eventually did get the surgery and it's been about two years now since he went under the knife. He waited as long as he could to do it and went to Dr. Bryan Kelly here in NYC at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Kelly is like, THE guy to do this. He's done a lot of these surgeries and keeps tabs on the results. But I think even Kelly warned him that you do not want to go messing around inside the hip if you can avoid it, it's super complicated and complex.

I don't know how difficult it would be for you to get to NYC for something like this, but I'd say try everything else before going into surgery. Like I said, the hip is better, but it was a pretty sizable recovery time. He improved dramatically over the first month or so, then it was a lot of PT and being careful for a time. Now he's able to do most things he did before (bike, run, play tennis, etc.) but basically was told to avoid ever doing squats or lunges again. There's still a chance you might mess something else up during surgery that can cause problems in the future -- though it seems to be ok with him for now. 

Here's a link to the doc and good luck to you -- I hope it gets better without surgery!

http://www.hss.edu/physicians_kelly-bryan.asp#.VOzXGiLF_js

2015-03-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Denver, CO

I've done the PT/cortisone/surgery drill twice (reinjured the same hip 6 mos. after the 1st surgery).  Luckily I had a super surgeon and a great PT.  I've been told that 80% people get 80% better.  I still have some weakness in that hip but as long as I increase my training gradually and keep doing core strengthening exercises and using a foam roller, I'm fine.  There have been times when I've overdone, and I just have to take a few days off to let it settle down.  It always does.  Any ongoing limitations probably depend on where the tear was.  I'm not supposed to do yoga and I can't run on a treadmill regularly.  Lunges and squats are fine for me and actually recommended as a way to increase flexor/glute/hamstring strength.

My partner had the same surgery.  He has no problems except for sitting for long periods of time and treadmill running.

I will tell you that I got a cortisone shot into the hip socket when we weren't sure that I'd actually torn the labrum again the 2nd time.  That was the single most painful procedure I've had in my life!!!  Unfortunately, I got 3 days of relief after 2 days of excruciating pain.  I requested an MRI shortly thereafter and had the surgery again.

Labral tears are usually from overuse but can also be because of genetic hip pathology.  In my case, I'm pretty sure that's what it was because there was scar tissue even though the injury was discovered about 3 mos. after I started having symptoms.  I had some bone malformation that may have contributed to the tear; my surgeon smoothed out the femur head to take care of that, and also took care of an impingement.  There's a 40% chance that I have the same issues on the other side but I'm not going to fuss with it as long as it doesn't bother me.

Maximum recovery is usually about a year but you can go back to easy biking (on a trainer) in a few weeks and be back to mostly full use in 4-6 mos.  I'd say if the discomfort is tolerable and doesn't keep you from doing what you want to do, don't do the surgery.  If, however, it's significantly affecting you, it might be good option.  One thing to keep in mind is that if there's a tear, it's going to wear abnormally, which may lead to needing a hip replacement down the road. 

Good luck!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Acetabular Labral Tear and extra fraying of the labrum in the left hip Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hip labrum tear

Started by DiveGal
Views: 1392 Posts: 3

2013-05-01 7:41 AM Socks

Torn acetabular labram in the hip

Started by bmacthescott
Views: 4054 Posts: 12

2011-10-19 11:51 AM Socks

torn hip labrum

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 4679 Posts: 7

2010-11-05 4:06 PM goobergirl98

Torn Hip labrum

Started by dragonfly253
Views: 1576 Posts: 3

2010-03-03 3:24 PM jdevito20

hip labral tear

Started by dbw27
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2009-03-25 8:09 AM dbw27
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a torn labrum in the right hip that I'm getting surgery for this Friday. Also the doctor is grinding some bone that caused it to tear. Do you have any good ideas on returning to training?

date : April 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The common conditions seen would be: a femoral neck stress fracture, a hip flexor tendonitis, or a hip joint cartilage problem such as a labral tear or arthritis of the hip joint.