General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-09 5:09 PM

Centennial, Colorado
Subject: Training Plan Questions
I had a couple questions concerning my training for this season. I am planning on the following (All here in Colorado):

Olympic triathlon on June 7 (Crescent Moon Tri)
Sprint triathlon on July 26 (Evergreen Tri)
Half Ironman September 13 (Harvest Moon Half)

I have completed one sprint triathlon last summer and I just completed my first half marathon. I am not looking to podium but I would like to be a middle of the pack participant. However for the half iron I will be happy just to finish. I was planning on starting a 16 week olympic plan prior to the oly and then start a modified half iron plan after the oly (13 weeks out from the half ironman. I will have a couple 5ks and one short bike race mixed in over the coarse of the summer.

Should I try and maintain my half marathon fitness through the olympic training? Do I need to do anything special for the sprint or will the oly training and part of the half training have me covered? Is 13 weeks enough to finish the half ironman with some sort of smile on my face?

Thanks for any help.

2015-02-09 8:33 PM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

Grass Valley, California
Subject: RE: Training Plan Questions
Hi Joseph!
Seems that you have already a plan... good. Your Olympic Distance is a good goal to reach and I am sure if you follow your training plan you will totally get there. The time between the OD and the Half Ironman Distance is good too.

First you should concentrate all your energy to train for the Olympic Distance. Following a training plan will help to reach your goal.
I would personally not put much weight on the Sprint you are planning do do. Just see it as a hard training race with good transition training in it....

It seems that you are very entusiastic about this sport. GREAT !!! Me too... but here is something to think about. Sprint is good for start, Olympic is more to work on (weekly training scheulde - 6 -10h) and Half Ironman is double the training of OD....
I wanted do do a Long Course after colmlpleted 2 OD last year. One of my much more experienced club members made me thinking...
He said: I am sure you could finish.... but think about how. Half Ironman Distance will be ''maybe'' this year on my plate. Will decide later in the year after my second scheudeled OD if i am ready to sign up, or should wait for next year. I know its hard, but be hornest to yourself.....

Anyway, If you really have to do your Long Distance this year.... go for it.

Again, it is good that you have already entered the tri spot with a sprint.... congratulations. Next step is Olympic Distance. Train for it hard and follow the plan you chose. It will bring you there....

Take the Sprint after as a training. Don't train extra for the sprint... you should be on a level you can make it. And please, dont put much weight on it......

Next stop Long Course (Half Ironman Distance).... Listen to your body, and follow the training plan. If everything feels good: Do it! If not , wait! It's that simple.

To your question if you should keep up your running for the half marathon distance... Congartulations for your first Half Marathon!!! Thats great

Maintain your capability to do that distance and maybe do a little bit more distance as in the training plan for the OD. Just not to loose it, but be careful. When the plan says do a 6 mile rum... you maybe do a 8 mile. You will figure out! Just dont train for the Half Marathon Distance Run and the Olympic at the same time.... Look what the plan says and do a little bit more.

Hope I could help you and wish you all the luck you need.
Keep free from injuries.

Cheers,

Chris
2015-02-10 8:46 AM
in reply to: christianhund

User image

, North Carolina
Training plans aren't set in stone. I would definitely modify the run portion to reflect your current fitness level. If you just completed it, make sure you give your self some time to recover from that race before you get back on the road hard again. The swim jump from 1.5 to 1.9 won't be the biggest challenge. The challenge is going to be going from 40k to 90k in the bike.

2015-02-10 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Your schedule is very doable.

+1 to not worrying too much about sprint race training. Focus on the Olympic and you can bridge up to the 70.3 with the time you have.
++1 with regard to the bike. IMO, the longer bike ride is the biggest challenge going from Oly to 70.3.

It isn't bad advice to consider whether you want to make that jump to 70.3 this season. I took 3 seasons to get to 70.3 and while I could have done it sooner, I'm glad I did it slowly. Everyone's experience is different though.

I haven't done the first two races you mention (though I think they're both done by Without Limits, which is a great outfit). I volunteered at their Summer Open last May and got a $100 entry into Harvest Moon (a great deal for a 70.3).

Harvest Moon 2014 was a great race. My bike training was interrupted a bit during the summer and the last part of the bike course has some climbing that can sap your energy if you aren't careful. The run is usually my strongest discipline but for me it was a total slog. For the record, I did not have a smile on my face at the end! Here's a link to my RR if you're interested:

http://trited.blogspot.com/2014/09/harvest-moon-triathlon-race-repo...

Good luck and enjoy your races!
2015-02-23 8:43 AM

Centennial, Colorado
Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 week in to the 16 week olympic training plan and cycling in the gym for an hour is mind numbing. I am thinking about trying a spin class. I also set up a bike trainer in the basment and maybe that will be better. Hopefully we will return to our mild winter here in Colorado and I can get outside (although I love and we need the snow).

I swam my first mile the other day. I have been experimenting with the pull buoy and it has been helping as my form is terrible. I am going to look into the masters class at my gym.

I have been running over the amount in my training plan to try and maintain some of my half marathon fittness. I'll back off if this starts to affect me negativley.

2015-02-24 12:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

This is definitely doable!

I only started last year and ended up doing 70.3 6 months after I started training, somewhat by accident because I live in a country with very few tri races so there wasn't much to chose from.

Regarding the run fitness. Not sure what your plan tells you, but instead of long distance running which you somewhat already master, you could mix it up with interval runs. They also contribute greatly to your HM fitness and pace, but also do very good for your shorter run pace.
1-4km of L4 runs with a couple of minutes recovery runs in between, maybe mixed with some L3 runs, will do you wonders for pace as well as maintain you for HM. 1 hour will be sufficient.

For swim, look up total immersion swimming in youtube. Great insights on how to improve your form there.
I went from not being able to swim more than 70m, to doing 2km in a month. Then improving my pace in a year from 2.45/100m to now 2.10/100m over 2km just by trying to focus on the details that they share.
Obviously I am not a podium guy, but my swim is actually now my strongest if compared to the average times in my races.
That said, if you can go to a class that is obviously by far the better choice!

Edited by knuta99 2015-02-24 12:34 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1/2 Ironman training plan question...

Started by Christ
Views: 2141 Posts: 4

2005-02-28 9:09 AM sherrick

Training plan question..

Started by waskelton
Views: 1118 Posts: 10

2005-02-24 11:23 AM AdventureBear

Training Plan Question

Started by atree
Views: 922 Posts: 4

2005-01-24 1:03 PM atree

Training plan question

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1240 Posts: 8

2005-01-10 10:29 AM JohnnyKay

1/2 Ironman training plan question

Started by dgunthert
Views: 1057 Posts: 4

2005-01-01 11:01 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : June 4, 2006
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.