General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thermal Swim Cap recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-10 10:15 AM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Subject: Thermal Swim Cap recommendations
Gooood Morning.
All of the YMCA's in our area shut down leaving many of us pool less. Hubby and I would, therefore, like to get into open water earlier this year.
I was looking at thermal swim caps and would appreciate any recommendations or other advice on staying reasonably warm.

Thanks!

2015-02-10 12:16 PM
in reply to: lmihalcik

User image

Subject: RE: Thermal Swim Cap recommendations

Really just a matter of layering.  Can use a combo of a rubber and latex cap (what I do) or add a zoot neoprene hood.  I have one, but have never used it.  One recommended belt and suspenders way is a triple - latex, zoot cap, rubber cap.  

2015-02-10 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

What kind of water temps are you talking about?

The first month or so around here of open water swimming the water is bitterly cold.  Around 50.  I'm wearing neoprene hood, booties, and gloves.  As it warms up a bit, the booties are the first to go, than gloves, than hood.

I've used Orca and Blue Seventy hoods and prefer the BS but that is a matter of personal preference.  Your experience might be different.  I see that Xterra also now makes a hood.

Edited by popsracer 2015-02-10 12:41 PM
2015-02-10 1:05 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Thanks for the input. It's right around 60 right now. We both have sleeveless suits.
2015-02-10 4:36 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Might just want to try a combination of a latex and a silicone cap. 

Aside from that, any old neoprene cap will work.

2015-02-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Make sure to put in ear plugs as well. I find putting in the plugs and wearing 2 caps is usually all I need.

2015-02-12 4:25 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Thank you. I did not know about ear plugs, but that makes sense. We will try a couple of caps and some plugs.
2015-02-14 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by lmihalcik Thanks for the input. It's right around 60 right now. We both have sleeveless suits.

I would say 60 you should be good doubling up on regular swim caps... I've been in 48 degree water with one cap and it was too cold... Two I think would have been more doable...

I've done several races in late July/early August where the water didn't get to 60 so I'm sure we're more accustomed to the colder temps..

The other question is what amount of time do you expect to be in the water?  If you get cold easily and are planning a longer swim you're going about it the right way to get the proper gear...

This spring when I get back in the cold water I'll need to address my feet... They cramp quickly in the cold...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thermal Swim Cap recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

thermal top/suit for cold weather pool swims?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 2385 Posts: 7

2012-11-19 12:50 PM BikerGrrrl

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2316 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

Swim goggles & swim caps

Started by globetruck
Views: 2306 Posts: 10

2010-04-16 9:52 PM SDCali

Cold water swim - insulated swim cap?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 6232 Posts: 14

2009-06-03 7:58 PM Catwoman

Race Cap over Swim Cap

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1396 Posts: 12

2007-01-17 3:27 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!