General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin splint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-10 10:31 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Shin splint
I have one shin splint that will not go away, i streatch, ice and have not run for a week now. Any help please all this "non-running" is killing me.

2015-02-11 9:20 AM
in reply to: slides

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Shin splint
When I began to run with frequency I had bad shin splints.
I don't know how long you've been running, but you do build up to volume and it can go away; HOWEVER:

1) Form and technique have A LOT to do with it. Length of stride (an overstride will cause the foot to heel strike way forward past center of gravity, thus creating breaking forces that have severe consequences.)

2) In addition to #1, not landing under center of gravity with proper shin angles will cause excessive stress to the tibia(and tibialis)

3) Excessive heel-striking, vs. more midfoot striking will also cause severe shin stress.

4) Have your gait analyzed by a qualified orthopedist, sometimes people can benefit from the use of custom orthotics; especially if there is a structural issue.

5) Discuss type of running shoe with ortho. There are motion control shoes, neutral, performance flats etc. Can't just grab any old shoe on sale.

While working on #1-5, ice ice ice, and rest rest rest. Natural anti-inflammatories can help, but those points cover a lot.
2015-02-11 9:59 PM
in reply to: #5092201

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
My intensity has increased from basically 1 mile to 4 over the corse of 2 weeks. I'll get my form analyzed and go from then, cheaper then seeing the foot doctor, thanks
2015-02-12 7:52 AM

In my experience, it takes about 2 weeks of no running for it to go away. Which sucks, cause it really doesn't seem like a serious injury, but it can turn into one. The points on form are all very good. If I start feeling a bit of shin pain I'll either slow down and/or focus or shortening my stride. Both of which usually work. I feel like too much intensity too soon is the usual cause though.
2015-02-13 2:16 PM

User image

compression sleeves helped me a lot when I first started running and getting constant shin splints. I'm sure I was doing to much too soon. Since I have dialed in my run training a little better, I no longer wear the compression sleeves.
2015-02-20 6:08 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Originally posted by aalbury

compression sleeves helped me a lot when I first started running and getting constant shin splints. I'm sure I was doing to much too soon. Since I have dialed in my run training a little better, I no longer wear the compression sleeves.

x2 on the compression socks. I have suffered with bad shin splints on and off for years but wearing compression socks and stretching my calves before a run pretty much stops them.

2015-03-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
I've been dealing with shin splints this year, which was never a problem in all the years I've been active.

I tried switching to lower drop running shoes and noticed the shin pain...likely from tight calves.

We recently moved to an area where there are a lot of hills! I experienced a few days of bad shin splints following a short run. I a contributing factor was changing from running on mostly flat ground to suddenly a lot of hills.

CEP socks/sleeves work great for me. I've also been attending Deep Tissue Massage which has been helping tremendously.

Shin Splints are frustrating, and not to be messed with. My friend ended up in a walking boot because she ignored hers and kept training through the pain. Take it easy out there! And good luck at your next race

Edited by RunnyBunny 2015-03-12 1:44 PM
2015-04-02 9:31 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Cypress, Texas
Best way to get rid of shin splints is get rid of the imbalance in the muscles by doing toe raises. (There's plenty of articles and Youtube videos on that topic out there, just google "shin splints toe raises")

While you are still healing roll the front of your leg with either "The Stick" or a foam roller.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin splint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is shin tightness when running shin splints?

Started by Fechter99
Views: 14665 Posts: 11

2008-09-08 12:48 PM Fechter99

Shin Splints Pages: 1 2

Started by uberbeginner
Views: 3581 Posts: 34

2005-03-16 4:48 PM andyc

Shin Splints/Stress Fracture

Started by srstephen
Views: 1545 Posts: 5

2005-01-16 8:24 PM sty

Shin Splints

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1232 Posts: 6

2004-11-08 4:24 PM twinstrimom

Shin Splints II

Started by rrog
Views: 1921 Posts: 10

2004-08-05 3:52 PM sparky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a sharp pain in my leg. I feel this throughout daily activities and while sitting at my desk as well. It has been ongoing, progressively worse, and much much more intense the past few weeks.

date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : August 24, 2009
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.

date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
Shin splints occur in up to 13.1% of all runners. Sixty-percent of those presented with this complaint have errors in training.