General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pay more for cycling shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-10 1:18 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Pay more for cycling shoes?
Is it worth it to buy the more expensive tri shoes? When I started I got the cheapest pair of shoes I could in my size. They work and I can ride in them :D. They are not tri specific and they get soaking wet and can hold the water for a few days. Would I have this problem in a cheaper pair of tri specific cycling shoes? Are carbon soles worth it?

2015-02-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Subject: RE: Pay more for cycling shoes?

To me, comfort is the biggest factor in a bike shoe.  If the shoe isn't comfortable, it's going to play a huge factor in how much you enjoy riding.  A shoe doesn't have to be expensive to be comfortable.

That said, I did invest in a pair of Sidi road shoes.  I ride a lot...so it is an investment for me.  They are expensive, but also very well made.  I expect them to last close to twice as long, if not longer, than some of my other shoes I've had in the past.  So in a way, it's not really spending more...just more of an up front cost.

Shoes and a saddle are two things I would not be stingy about if you plan to ride a lot.

2015-02-10 3:27 PM

, Wisconsin
Tri specific shoes generally are much quicker to put on. They usually just have one velcro flap. Probably saves a minute or so in transition over regular road shoes. I have a pair of Shimano Tri shoes and a pair of Shimano road shoes that I do the vast majority of my bike training in. If you do tri regularly and only have one pair of shoes, I'd go with the Tri shoes.
2015-02-10 4:51 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by MikeD1

Tri specific shoes generally are much quicker to put on. They usually just have one velcro flap. Probably saves a minute or so in transition over regular road shoes. I have a pair of Shimano Tri shoes and a pair of Shimano road shoes that I do the vast majority of my bike training in. If you do tri regularly and only have one pair of shoes, I'd go with the Tri shoes.

Whoa...a minute or so? Unless they are super tight and laced, you'll not save anywhere near that much time. I have 3 strap Sidi road shoes (only bother with the top 2 straps) and in sprint du's, my transitions are both under a minute each. I'll mess around with flying mounts/dismounts this year and if they work for me...might get a pair of tri shoes to ease that entry.
2015-02-10 5:38 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have a pair of Louis Garneau Tri Speed shoes.

They dry really quick and have decent drainage in the bottom of them so they don't hold water inside of them. They also came with 2 different inner soles, one for summer and one for winter. I only use the summer ones because my feet get too warm with the winter ones in (but our winters aren't really cold).

The best thing about them was that they were considerably cheaper than the road shoes that I had. They cost me about $150 (Australian) from my local tri store. Knowing how much less things cost in America you could probably pick something like them up for less then $100. They are over 2 years old now and still look like new I don't expect to need to buy another pair for a considerable time.
2015-02-10 7:37 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Tri shoes won't save a minute, but it may very well save 30sec. It's quite difficult to do a flying mount with road shoes (not easy to get into), but it's quite easy to do with tri shoes. Same thing does when dismount... leaving your shoes on the bike will save quite a bit of time

2015-02-10 9:07 PM
in reply to: audiojan

It's worth it, better quality build, lighter shoe. Also worth mentioning, its absolutely worth paying up for bibs and a quality light helmet as well.
2015-02-11 1:50 AM

I think your should get triathlon specific shoes for better result. Apart from shoes you can also see top cycling gear online.

2015-02-11 8:14 AM

Tri specific or road shoes is a matter of personal preference. However I do agree that finding a quality pair of shoes is worth the cost. It does not mean that the more expensive shoe is always better but having a well fit, quality pair of cycling shoes is invaluable.
2015-02-11 8:34 AM

Master
Northern IL

I haven't really used tri shoes hardly at all. Just have a cheap pair of mountain bike shoes and a pair of (maybe) mid level road shoes. Think they were ~$170 retail? The mountain shoes can take a couple days to dry out if really soaked. The road shoes have always been fine the next day. I never had problems with the mtn bike shoes that others have (like hot spots), so harder to say if the carbon of the road shoes helped there. The shoes have to be a match for your foot. No amount of other wizardry will help if that is not addressed well. There are things about the more expensive shoes that might help to fit, but it's not a guarantee, so make sure to try them on and pay attention to the fit. I was particular about it and it paid off. The road shoes I bought in 2008 and still use them to this day. They've seen more use than average as I ride more than just a couple thousand miles a year. They've only just recently begun to show signs of wear beyond being broken in.

2015-02-11 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How much you pay is up to you.  Tri-specific shoes usually have only one strap that closes towards the instep (so when it's unstrapped, it's toward the outside of your foot and not likely to get caught in the chain).  They also have different lining construction because we jam wet, bare, feet into them.  

My first pair of road shoes have two straps, but still work quite well for triathlons.  They were inexpensive and the sole has been reglued to the upper a couple times now.  I wear them sockless when I race.  

My second pair of road shoes have three straps, one of which is a ratcheting mechanism.  I've worn these for two ironman races.  They're not nearly as comfortable without socks, but in long races, I'll dry off and put socks on in T1.  They weren't very expensive either, but an upgrade from the first pair.  

I just got my third pair of road shoes, Sidi with carbon soles.  I haven't tried them on the bike yet.  When I was trying on shoes, I tried on the tri-specific model and it wasn't nearly as comfortable for my foot even though the soles were identical.  (The uppers were quite different.)  

Can you remove the insoles?  If so, that should speed up drying.  My bike shoes live in the car, along with my bike, all summer long.  I know the heat isn't ideal for either, but it is inconvenient to go home after work to get my gear for a ride.  

2015-02-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Living in Vancouver, riding in the rain is inevitable and there are some days where my shoes get completely soaked. I've invested in this shoe dryer and it's changed my life. Shoes are dry after 1 cycle. Gloves too. I hate putting my winter gloves in the dryer because the inner liners eventually give out.

When travelling or between races or something when the shoe dryer isn't available, I shove newspaper in my shoes. It helps them dry out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pay more for cycling shoes? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running shoe vs road cycling shoe size

Started by agarose2000
Views: 7031 Posts: 6

2011-03-15 9:37 PM tri808

How does your cycling shoe size compare to your running shoe size

Started by Jason N
Views: 17153 Posts: 17

2010-08-16 1:08 PM jeng

Do You Train in Triathlon Shoes or Stictly Cycling Shoes

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1859 Posts: 12

2009-05-20 9:18 AM mmrocker13

Question regarding transistion with cycling shoes

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1062 Posts: 6

2004-03-20 12:11 AM Pro_rider

Cycling Shoes, Racing Bikes

Started by geriberri
Views: 1807 Posts: 8

2003-08-15 1:40 PM jonest58
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.