General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some of the best laid plans... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-11 5:29 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Some of the best laid plans...

OK- maybe it wasn't a great plan, as it left me only 3 months between my A race marathon and my A race 50miler. 

Below is my weekly mileage for the past few months.  I'm comfortable that I've got a good base.  The dips and Nov and Dec were for a HM and Mary- so there's some extra 'speedwork' in there.  OP50, my ultra, is on March 7th.  3 weeks and 3 days from today.  

See that nice mileage peak last month?- that's where I overdid it.  Actually, two weeks in a row.  first a brutal 26mi trail run, and then a 32miler the following week.  I got cocky, as I haven't been injured in a year.  I didn't listen to my knee talking to me and came up hurting.  Had to take a few down weeks to let it heal/recover.  The good news is that my knees are doing OK right now.  Problem is- I feel great, because I'm not deep into the fatigue hole where I should be, ready for a taper.  Instead, I'm already 'tapered', yet still have 3+ weeks to go before race day.  

So, my plan is to ramp it back up as much as I can through the next two weekends (11 days).  With possibly a double header (two long 20+ mile trail runs, if I feel up to it), on the weekend two weeks prior to race day.  Then, do a two week taper, the first week of which is a ski trip, which may involve almost no running (although lots of moguls)

Or- am I just kidding myself.  Is there no time for adaptation at this point?  Should I just do 3 easy weeks until race day instead?

thoughts?  (yeah, I know- first rule... don't injure myself)

I know you can't cram for an ultra.  But I want to put myself into as good a fitness position as I can.

(training.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
training.JPG (45KB - 11 downloads)

2015-02-13 7:16 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Some of the best laid plans...
I vote for an easy 3 weeks.

Your fitness is solid and you have the base, you need some "easy time" to let your body heal (somewhat) and go into the races in its best possible shape given the compressed time frame.
2015-02-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: jkron

User image

Pro

Last week went well.  Whether it was the benefit of having some down weeks, or the RockTape on my knees- the knees are feeling good.  Put in 53 miles last week, with a 12mi MLR in the middle, speed/tempo work.  Took Saturday off, and did a great 23mi/4hr40 min trail run.  Felt great.  no significant pains or injuries.  (definitely tired at the end).  

I don't feel too fatigue loaded right now, with a little less than 3 weeks to go.  Normally this would be taper time.  I've got the opportunity to do a group 20mi run on the last part of the race course this Saturday, which I'm not going to miss.  I'll try to run it really easy.  My only question is, what do I do on Sunday, which is my last opportunity to throw in a good fatigue load, before I take a whole week off of running (due to a ski trip).  Not asking for advice- just sharing.  I'll see how I feel on Sunday morning, and if I'm willing to do all or part of a local group trail run that I've just been itching to do.  I could make it a 12miler, a 20miler or a 28 miler.  (all with lotsa' vert).  The 28er would just be stupid.  But if I feel good enough, I'll shoot for 20.  Or, I can always just turn around short and come back in any distance.

I'll keep ya' posted.  Just hope I don't rack myself up skiing.  

2015-03-03 4:58 PM

User image

Pro

t-14 days:  Did a 21 mile/4hr run on the race course.

t-13 days:  a 20 mile run with lotsa vert, 5hrs 20min, for a solid back to back weekend... Felt really good, except  half-way through, on top of Tanque Verde Peak 7Kft- I jumped over a log crossing the trail, and came down in a manzanita bush.  Jammed a dried stick into my shin.  a piece broke off in there.  had to run another 3 hours down the mountain, and went to urgent care where they needed to do minor surgery to get the other piece of stick out of my leg.  Hurt like hell for a day or so.  But, with some vitamin I, was able to ski every day last week.  (no running)

Did an easy 10miler on Sunday, and will do just a few easy little runs this week.  Stuck leg is still ugly, but runnable.  Weather is looking perfect on Saturday for my 2nd attempt at this 50 miler.  Last year it rained 2.5 inches with 30-40mph winds and I dropped out at 33mi with hypothermia.  

I'm going into it mostly trained, not everything I wanted, but with a comfortable pair of shoes and an uninjured body.  I guess that's the best I can hope for.   Race morning is 3-1/2 days away.  Will post race report afterwards.    Can't wait to do this!

2015-03-08 3:07 PM

User image

Pro

Success!  1st 50 miler in the bag.  All went... remarkably smoothly.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=529835

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some of the best laid plans... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

50K training plans? Pages: 1 2

Started by lisac957
Views: 14948 Posts: 27

2010-12-08 3:25 AM Chrizzzzz

planning on doin an ultra march 2011

Started by stretchdew
Views: 1825 Posts: 4

2010-06-20 10:15 AM tfischer

Training Plan for First Trail Marathon

Started by calimavs
Views: 4311 Posts: 2

2010-04-22 11:14 PM shmeeg

Training Plan Question

Started by jgrindle16
Views: 3163 Posts: 8

2010-04-01 7:38 AM jgrindle16

How far out to plan an ultra

Started by Gaarryy
Views: 1563 Posts: 4

2010-03-03 10:39 PM billgeist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : October 5, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.