General Discussion Triathlon Talk » suggestion- gadget for swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-11 11:25 PM

User image

Subject: suggestion- gadget for swimming
Hello BT,

It's time to retire my waterproof watch. Could you recommend a watch that I could use to keep track of time and laps (don't know if distance is necessary, this is for pool use)? Preferably something where I can see the numbers / or has light cause sometimes my goggles get foggy and I couldn't see the numbers.

Thanks

Edited by Phebes 2015-02-11 11:26 PM

2015-02-12 5:24 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: suggestion- gadget for swimming

Garmin SWIM or the 910 or 920 if you also need a multisport watch.

2015-02-12 6:13 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Garmin SWIM or the 910 or 920 if you also need a multisport watch.

I agree w/ him, but would also like to add that suunto ambit 2s or the newer 3. I have that and its pretty accurate for counting my laps.

I would also like to add if you rub shampoo in your goggles, and then rinse it out before you start you won't fog up nearly as much. I've heard that baby shampoo is the best probably because it doesn't sting, but I just use what I have and it is fine if you rinse them well enough. If you take them off too much it becomes less effective, but when I leave them on the whole time I've had no fog for over 1 hour.
2015-02-12 7:37 AM

If you are not looking for a GPS a $30 Timex Ironman will do what you need. At the pool I just use the pace clock. It doesn't keep track of laps but I can keep track in my head.

They also make pace watches. http://swimswam.com/swimming-startup-introduces-pacewatch-a-pace-cl... this one claims to be really slim

Swim outlet has a bunch of watches. I have sort of been interested in the the one that goes on your finger it seems easier to record laps. So can be set to record laps automatically.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/swimming-watches-c14082/
2015-02-12 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I happen to have a Swimovate Poolmate that I'll part with for $40, does a superb job of counting laps and time. The only thing it doesn't do is allow you to get data *out* - it doesn't sync to anything -but if you never want to miss a lap count again, it's solid. Actually a little more solid at lap counting than Garmin or Suunto in my experience (I've used both). PM me if you're interested.
2015-02-12 7:53 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Theres a big 'ol clock on the wall, and its free!

2015-02-12 8:04 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

, North Carolina
My Timex Ironman has worked for me for a long time. I have dark tinted goggles and it can be hard to see at times. But, when I swim with clear goggles I don't have any problems with seeing it.

I don't count every lap I just count 100's. I rarely miss a hitting the lap button.

It is also a HR monitor. Has been a great watch.
2015-02-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I would like to remind everyone that not every pool has a nice pace clock. At my pool there is a slightly-bigger-than-what's-in-your-kitchen analog clock, on the wall past the deep end -- making viewing it with my near-sightedness an impossibility -- usually set to the wrong time.

Anyway, as a result, I've gone through many swimming clocks:

I started with what is essentially a mini-stopwatch that slips over your finger; you mark off laps by hitting the one large button with your thumb. It worked perfectly well for my needs and I only upgraded because I lost it.
I believe this is the model I had, listed at $30 on swimoutlet.com, and you can go a bit cheaper or more expensive with what you want: http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sportcount-combo-lap-counter-and-timer-...

After I lost that, I bought a used Swimovate, which I liked well enough. I loved not having to hit the buttons after every lap and I loved analyzing my data afterward. I also liked just wearing it as a watch. However, after about a year I needed to change the battery, and I didn't get the casing sealed all the way shut afterward. Water got in, and that was about the end of that. Also, I believe they are a British company, which made finding a manual and any kind of support online a bit tricky.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/swimovate-poolmate-swimming-computer-18...

Now I am using the Garmin Swim, and I love this more than the other two. I use a Garmin Forerunner to run and bike, so the buttons and settings were intuitive to me. You can change the screen to show what you want (I prefer current set distance) and so that it's a reverse display (white numbers on a black background) when you're paused, like for drills, so you know just by looking if you are timing yourself or not. You can also set it so it goes to sleep when it's not moving, making the battery last a lot longer, or not, so you can wear it as a wristwatch. Yes, this is going to be higher on the $$$ scale.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/garmin-swim-42924/

Never mind, they hyperlinked properly after I posted. =)

Edited by Miles around Midtown 2015-02-12 8:30 AM
2015-02-12 9:09 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

At my pool there is a slightly-bigger-than-what's-in-your-kitchen analog clock, on the wall past the deep end -- making viewing it with my near-sightedness an impossibility -- usually set to the wrong time.

I am a -7.25 in one eye and -7.50 in the other. I would not swim if it wasn't for corrective goggles. I wear -7 in both eyes and see just fine in the pool. The goggles themselves give some magnification underwater but even out of water they are fine. If you eyes are really different get two pairs and make one. The sporti are less than $8 well worth it. I have both the pro II and the S2 I like the S2 better but that is personal opinion.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/prescription-swim-goggles-c9623%5C#cat=96...
2015-02-12 10:52 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by Lupy

Originally posted by GMAN 19030
I would also like to add if you rub shampoo in your goggles, and then rinse it out before you start you won't fog up nearly as much. I've heard that baby shampoo is the best probably because it doesn't sting, but I just use what I have and it is fine if you rinse them well enough. If you take them off too much it becomes less effective, but when I leave them on the whole time I've had no fog for over 1 hour.

About a year ago, I bought a small travel size spray bottle and a travel size baby shampoo. I added a very small amount of baby shampoo (maybe about 2 TBS) and the rest water. I spray the inside of each lens just prior to swimming and it works great. Even swimming 2-3 times a week, I bet I've used less than half the bottle.
2015-02-12 11:55 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I have the garmin swim. Like it, use it all the time. If you swim in a group setting, still use the pace clock but it's great for keep track of time/distance, etc.  Can set up as many features as you like or not. 

I got the swim because my 310XT is still just fine and for $160 could have swim metrics for indoor swimming vs buying the 910 or now 920. 

2015-02-12 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

I started with what is essentially a mini-stopwatch that slips over your finger; you mark off laps by hitting the one large button with your thumb. It worked perfectly well for my needs and I only upgraded because I lost it.
I believe this is the model I had, listed at $30 on swimoutlet.com, and you can go a bit cheaper or more expensive with what you want: http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sportcount-combo-lap-counter-and-timer-...

this is what I have as well, I really like it as it is simple and you can click off the lap without breaking form or slowing down.
2015-02-12 1:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown I would like to remind everyone that not every pool has a nice pace clock. At my pool there is a slightly-bigger-than-what's-in-your-kitchen analog clock, on the wall past the deep end -- making viewing it with my near-sightedness an impossibility -- usually set to the wrong time.

In that case, a $10 casio sport watch that is set to the correct time.  

Of course you can buy a 910/920 for all of it's features, then you may as well use it in the pool as well if there isn't a pace clock.  No point in buying a 910/920 and a casio sport watch...but buying a really expensive watch just because there isn't a clock on the wall is a bit overkill.  But to each their own.

2015-02-12 1:29 PM

Has anyone used this? It is a swimming metronome
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-tempo-trainer-pro-33518/

This FINIS™ pacing device uses beeps to help you set your stroke rate. Convenience and portability combine in the Tempo Trainer Pro to keep you in sync.
Features

3 different modes:
Mode 1: Single beep in strokes per sec (0.02 seconds to 99.99 seconds).
Mode 2: Triple beep in strokes per sec (1 second to 9:59 minutes).
Mode 3: Single beep in strokes per minute.
2015-02-13 1:09 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Love love LOVE my garmin swim!!!

( I MIGHT be getting a fenix 2 soon, if so the garmin swim might be up for sale )

I am planning on getting the finis tempo trainer pretty darn quick here too!
2015-02-13 4:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

fisherman76: PM sent re:watch

Edited by djmtrier 2015-02-13 4:51 AM

2015-02-13 6:25 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Lupy

Or spit in them rub the spit around and rinse them out works the same and you can do it when you get in the pool. Over 25 years I have found this works as well or better than anything else.

With regards to a watch I have a Timex Ironman too. Works great easy to read and has a light if you really need it.
2015-02-13 2:55 PM

User image

Pro

really all depends on how much you wanna' spend and what features you'd like.

I'd highly recommend something that automatically counts laps for you, versus just a timex ironman watch.  It just makes lap swimming that much more pleasurable, as there's one less thing to worry about.

The Finis and Poolmate are acceptable, functional swim watches that will do the basis.  I have the Poolmate.  Works fine.

The Garmin swim is a step up for not much more, and will upload your workouts to garmin connect- if you'd like to track it that way.  Likely the best of the 'swim dedicated' watches.

Above that are the 'trisport and multisport' watches, of which there are starting to be quite a lot of choices.  TomTom, Suunto Ambits, Garmin 910/920/Fenixes, Polar all make some nice devices, depending on which features you'd like (such as OWS Distance tracking?).  DCRainmaker.com is the place to research.

I'd add that the feature that I like the most about my Ambit 2 for swimming, is that I can pair it with a Mio Link which I wear on my wrist next to the watch, and I can get HR during my swim. I can see it coming off the walls to help me manage my pace for long sets, and have an independent metric of how hard I'm pushing myself on the shorter ones.  

2015-02-14 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Sidney Porter If you are not looking for a GPS a $30 Timex Ironman will do what you need. At the pool I just use the pace clock. It doesn't keep track of laps but I can keep track in my head. They also make pace watches. http://swimswam.com/swimming-startup-introduces-pacewatch-a-pace-cl... this one claims to be really slim Swim outlet has a bunch of watches. I have sort of been interested in the the one that goes on your finger it seems easier to record laps. So can be set to record laps automatically. http://www.swimoutlet.com/swimming-watches-c14082/

I've used a timex ironman watch for years however mine has a 30 lap limit.  I time my rest between sets too so 30 laps isn't enough.

I recently ordered the Sportcount 200 chrono finger lap counter so if Amazon ever gets around to shipping it, soon I'll be able to report back on how well I like it.  The model I bought has max time, avg lap time and fastest lap...The reviews were all quite favorable with the only negative being the lap button "feel."

2015-02-14 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Has anyone used this? It is a swimming metronome
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-tempo-trainer-pro-33518/

This FINIS™ pacing device uses beeps to help you set your stroke rate. Convenience and portability combine in the Tempo Trainer Pro to keep you in sync.
Features

3 different modes:
Mode 1: Single beep in strokes per sec (0.02 seconds to 99.99 seconds).
Mode 2: Triple beep in strokes per sec (1 second to 9:59 minutes).
Mode 3: Single beep in strokes per minute.

Best $45 I have spent on swimming in years.
2015-02-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Most swimmers just stick their tongue in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » suggestion- gadget for swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Goggle suggestions?

Started by Gunky
Views: 1540 Posts: 25

2008-10-13 3:33 PM zomvito

Winter swimming gadget thingy...

Started by SnMan
Views: 876 Posts: 6

2007-10-12 2:12 PM JAW_IV

Open Water Swim Suggestions

Started by Jbacon
Views: 741 Posts: 3

2007-08-24 3:09 PM famelec

Swim paddles suggestion/recommendation?

Started by kenail
Views: 1753 Posts: 6

2006-10-23 10:02 PM KathyG

Lap swim counter suggestions

Started by JBrashear
Views: 826 Posts: 5

2006-07-16 9:03 PM Focker out!
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.