Georgia Ultrarunning & Trailrunning Society
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 21s
Overall Rank = 16/450
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/48
Pre-race routine:

Todd and Molly decided to make a weekend out of the race, so they went up on Friday afternoon to camp out at the Redtop Campground. JT was traveling on Saturday, so I decided to go up and join Todd and Molly for a nice easy recovery ride from the Sosebe Bicycle Park. The weather was great, albeit a bit windy. I kept it at a legit recovery effort around the 35 mile loop with Molly. After the ride we grabbed lunch, and headed back to the campground to take the dogs for a walk. We walked the trails for about an hour, then headed for packet pickup. From there I travelled back south to Atlanta, grabbed dinner, and then off to the Airport around 9:30pm to pick up Jennifer. Slept well, and woke up at 5am ready to go. Ate a quick, light breakfast (a couple of eggs, banana, and two grape pop-tarts - yum!). Wes came over right on time, and we were on the road headed back up to Redtop just as planned: 6am on the nose.

We were the second folks into the parking lot, and we gathered up our stuff and walked down the trail about 800 meters to the campsite where Todd, Molly, and Zach were already awake and knocking around the camper. We hung out there for a bit then headed back to the car, stretching out well on the way. It was about 28 degrees, so we all packed into the car to stay warm for the last few minutes before donning our racing shoes and heading out for the final warm up.

Event warmup:

Piled out of the car about 20 minutes before the race start, and did some easy jogging down the trail for about 10 minutes or so. I picked up the pace and finished up with a few strides on the way back to the car one last time. I quickly stripped down out of my pants and pullover to just my shorts, tech tee, arm warmers and light gloves.
Run
  • 1h 26m 21s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Chatted with Podium teammates for a couple of minutes before the gun went off, then lined up right on the front.

The first 3.5 miles are flat and fast, but I took it fairly conservatively, throttling back my effort to maintain a nice, steady endurance effort. Sam (my coach) eased up beside me for a minute and said, "You know, we never really talked about your plan for this race. Do you have one?" I laughed and told him that it was the same as last year, and he said that sounded like a good idea. Then I suggested to him that he might want to hustle on up the trail as the race might be getting away from him, he said "oh, yeah - you're right!" and of he went like a jack rabbit. The trail was nice and wide at this point, so the initial sort-out happened quickly and we had lots of room to run. Wes eased up on my shoulder and ran right with me step-for-step on the lower loop, and we chatted a bit. "Well, this will be just GREAT if we keep it up," I thought, since I knew there would be no way I would win a footrace with him at the end of the race. At about mile 3.6, the course veers off the trail through the woods, crosses a small stream, and then finally begins to turn upwards away from the flats along the lake edge.

I took the first up very easy, but as soon as the trail plunged downward I pulled out the stops and smoked the descent. I think it kinda surprised Wes, and I got a nice little gap on him and put a couple of other folks between us to boot. I took the next up easy as well (I knew it was a long one) and Wes worked his way back up to me just as we crested the top. I told myself he had just made a mistake, and I hammered the next descent while he was recovering from the effort up the climb, and this time the gap stuck. At this point I counted 26 or so other racers up the trail in front of me, and I started working in earnest to pick them off on the descents, while holding my place in between. I knew an aid station was coming up at about the 5.5 mile mark (just before we started the hardest part of the race) so I downed a gel and grabbing a cup of water on the run. And then the work REALLY began on the next ascent, where I saw my teammate Mike just up the trail. He is a good runner, but it took me a lot longer last year to catch him on this course, so I took that as a good sign and let the effort creep up juuuuust a little more. I caught him in a twisty, rolly bit, we exchanged brief "pleasantries," and then hit the base of the long climb where I had previously decided to open it up for the last 4 miles to the finish. after cresting the top I managed to reel in a handful of folks through the last bit of the upper loop, and as we broke through the clearing by the lodge I could see a small pack of guys running together, including Rob, which was a little surprising, as I am usually nowhere close to him on the run. I slowly worked my way up to to them, but thought to myself that I REALLY wasn't sure I wanted to catch them as it seemed they were settled in for sprint to the finish. I knew there were two more good climbs before the finish though and I eased up behind the guy that would eventually win the grand masters category. He pulled me up to the pack, and on the second-to-last climb the group just kind of splintered apart with me and Rob moving through with one other fella on his heels. At that point my left calf started to twinge just a bit, and I could feel my achilles tightening up as well. I of course just ignored it.

On the last long descent Rob and his shadow got around one last guy putting him between us on the last winding ascent, which bought them a little more space. On the climb the guy heard me coming and he was kind enough to make space and flick me around, so I was able to keep it close without expending too much extra energy passing. In the final rollers before the finish Rob began pulling away from his chaser, and I was doing everything I could to reel him in. I somehow got shoulder-to-shoulder with the other guy, but just shattered myself doing so: I was flat-out blown with about 150 meters to go. I thought "well this sucks, I am going to get smoked at the finish line. Again." but the dude glanced toward me and said "well, go GET him!" and he pulled his chute. It was the last little bit of energy I needed to get across the line just 3 seconds behind Rob.

What would you do differently?:

I *think* I could have gone out at the start a little faster, but who knows how much I would have had left at the end if I had? These early season races are so hard to know how to pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, and made a bee-line for the massage tent where Robin worked on me and helped me stretch out well. Wes came across the line about a minute-and-a-half back, just as I had feared earlier in the race. Very glad I got a gap early, as I don't think I would have been able to get away from him late in the race. We grabbed a bowl of chili and a big hunk of cornbread and a chocolate chip cookie, and cheered as the rest of our friends and teammates came across the line.

Four days later my calf and achilles is still just a little sore, well beyond the time for general race soreness to be done. I didn't want to do anything stupid this close to the start of race season, so I took a precautionary visit to the doctor today, and the prognosis is good: A tweaked soleus (underneath the interior gastrocnemius) with some scarring to boot, an injury seen most frequently in tennis players, and caused by repeated twisting under load. After a nice round of ART that just about left me in tears, I left with some stretching to do and MORE corrective/activation exercises. Dr. Cho seems to think that my right glute gave up on me near the twisty end of the race, and that subsequently through way too much load on my calf muscles on that side.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was 6 minute PR over last year (and I thought I had raced to my potential then) so I am very happy with this effort.

Event comments:

One of the shorter events put on by the Georgia Ultra-Running and Trail Running Society (GUTS) this is one of my favorite trail races in the region - but you just have to be on your game to get registered as it sells out in less than 10 minutes every year. The course has a little bit of everything: from wide, flat, fast sections, to twisty, climby, single track parts. Lots of volunteers, great aid stations, and super post-race food. Awards only go 10 deep for overall finishers, plus a first place for masters and grandmasters. I kinda like that, although not sure if I could ever sneak in to the top 10. I would need to run a 7:05 pace (25 seconds per mile faster) and at this point that would be a fairly heavy lift without dropping everything else and just focusing on the run.

Last updated: 2015-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:21 | 11.5 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/48
Overall: 16/450
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-02-12 4:39 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: Red Top Rumble

Thanks for reading!

Edited by TankBoy 2015-02-12 4:42 PM

2015-02-12 5:09 PM
in reply to: #5092998

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Red Top Rumble

That's awesome Rusty!  I have no idea what it's like to do a run race with tactics in mind, I just run and see what happens.  

2015-02-13 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

As always, LOVE reading your race reports!  Great race out there, Rusty....and it actually sounds like it was kinda fun

2015-02-13 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by TankBoy

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for writing. Your reports are always chock full of info. I am (as always) impressed. Much like Arend, I love the race strategy that you do during your events.  Great race!

BTW, it even more impressive that you could be munching down a bowl of chili after that type of effort.  Get that calf worked out. Your season looks like it is starting off well.

2015-02-13 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Nice Report. Hey I'm the guy in the first pic in the grey short sleeve without gloves and you were probably the one that I said around mile 7, hey I think I'm seeing double because of the 2 black Podium MS shirts.... Fun race, I enjoy the trails at Red Top. This is definitely a challenge to pace, the lulling you into a false sense of security with the net downhill for the first 3 miles on the wide forest service road. My third race there in the past 4 years, always a good time.
2015-02-15 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Rusty, great race report as always.There's always something to learn from reading them. Your approach to the hills on the course paid off. (I have to admit I was hoping for some pics of the downhill/windmill arms.)  Congrats on the PR.  

2015-02-18 5:30 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

That's awesome Rusty! I have no idea what it's like to do a run race with tactics in mind, I just run and see what happens.

Ah, to be young again!

Originally posted by ligersandtions

As always, LOVE reading your race reports! Great race out there, Rusty....and it actually sounds like it was kinda fun

Thanks Nicole - this race is always a blast. We have a ton of trail races around here and another of my favorites is this weekend, but I have to do a team 10k instead. Not that excited about it - would lots rather be running in the dirt!

Originally posted by cdban66

Thanks for writing. Your reports are always chock full of info. I am (as always) impressed. Much like Arend, I love the race strategy that you do during your events. Great race!

BTW, it even more impressive that you could be munching down a bowl of chili after that type of effort. Get that calf worked out. Your season looks like it is starting off well.

What can I say - I run for food!. Last year they had a fresh, hot pretzel truck at the finish line - I think the Race Director may have lost money on that one as the truck was not back this year. Those things were awesome!

Originally posted by Mc Q Nice Report. Hey I'm the guy in the first pic in the grey short sleeve without gloves and you were probably the one that I said around mile 7, hey I think I'm seeing double because of the 2 black Podium MS shirts.... Fun race, I enjoy the trails at Red Top. This is definitely a challenge to pace, the lulling you into a false sense of security with the net downhill for the first 3 miles on the wide forest service road. My third race there in the past 4 years, always a good time.

Hey Darrell - I know we have met before - I didn't know that was you, but I remember your words distinctly! - I had too much tunnel vision trying to run down Mike to recognize you. I think the first part of the race is what makes it so great: if you don't take it easy there you can absolutely shell yourself int he middle part. Hope to see you at the local races this season?

Originally posted by kcarroll

Rusty, great race report as always.There's always something to learn from reading them. Your approach to the hills on the course paid off. (I have to admit I was hoping for some pics of the downhill/windmill arms.)  Congrats on the PR.  

Ha-Ha Kim, after that discussion about the windmilling in the group I was hoping for the same when I searched through the race pictures! They had a drone that was filming parts of the race and there is a good video of the lead runners coming down the first steep hill and I thought, "Ah, this is going to be great!" but it cuts away just before I came on screen. Mc Q up above is probably on it though - he was off the front at the beginning of the race.

2015-02-23 9:37 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Seattle
Great race Rusty! What was the terrain like? Single track or mostly service road? What were the elevation gains and losses like?
2015-02-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Asalzwed Great race Rusty! What was the terrain like? Single track or mostly service road? What were the elevation gains and losses like?

Hey Adrienne - thanks. it was a little over 1500' of vertical (supposedly, but who really knows). the first 3.5 miles is fairly flat, and kinda wide: not quite a road bed, but not single track either. It provides a really great sort-out at the beginning of the race. it smooth and mostly covered in pine needles - so a really good surface on which to run. From there on out begins the regular up and down, mostly single track, with a few short sections that go off-trail in order to transition from one loop to another. None of the ascents are very long (the biggest traverses a little over 200 vertical feet) and each is followed by a similar descent. The trails are always in great shape - I have run here a lot and even when it is poring rain the trails stay nice and solid. Can't say that about most trails around these parts.

2015-02-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job Rusty. Always enjoy your race reports. Nice PR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Top Rumble Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Red Top Rumble 11.5 Mile Trail Race

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 2037 Posts: 4

2010-02-08 8:19 PM thecaptin

Started by cadence.king
Views: 1327 Posts: 2

2010-02-07 2:43 PM tri_d00d

Started by atl_runner
Views: 1491 Posts: 3

2009-02-13 11:33 AM alltom1

Started by jonathan22
Views: 1447 Posts: 4

2009-02-10 10:58 AM Sluggo312

Started by cornelius300
Views: 1917 Posts: 5

2009-02-21 4:26 AM brown_dog_us
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?