Other Resources The Political Joe » Mandatory Bicycle (Adult) Helmet Law in CA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-15 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Mandatory Bicycle (Adult) Helmet Law in CA

Yes, it's in the works.  I'm hoping this one goes down in flames.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/government-and-politics/20150215/legislation-would-make-bicycle-helmets-mandatory-for-adults

If the law somehow goes through (anything is possible in CA), I have to wonder what's next?  Mandatory safety harness when taking the stairs?

2015-02-17 9:52 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Mandatory Bicycle (Adult) Helmet Law in CA
Originally posted by SevenZulu

http://www.dailybulletin.com/government-and-politics/20150215/legislation-would-make-bicycle-helmets-mandatory-for-adults

If the law somehow goes through (anything is possible in CA), I have to wonder what's next?  Mandatory safety harness when taking the stairs?

In general, I believe in a person's inalienable right to do stupid things, as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. Not sure why this is necessary, other than as another means to generate revenue.

2015-02-17 8:28 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

In general, I believe in a person's inalienable right to do stupid things, as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. Not sure why this is necessary, other than as another means to generate revenue.

At first glance I'm with ya guys...but...I'd like to see an economist's take on the issue.
How many lives will it save though?
How much MONEY will it save?
How effective will the law be at getting more people to do the right thing (which is to wear a helmet)?
I have to think there are a whole lot of under or uninsured folks out there. When they inevitably make a mistake (we all do, we're human), who's footing the bill? Traumatic brain injury rehab aint cheap. Neurosurgery aint cheap.
I wish it was as black and white as "Freedom vs. Nanny-State," but it probably isn't.

2015-02-18 2:31 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

At first glance I'm with ya guys...but...I'd like to see an economist's take on the issue.
How effective will the law be at getting more people to do the right thing (which is to wear a helmet)?
I have to think there are a whole lot of under or uninsured folks out there. When they inevitably make a mistake (we all do, we're human), who's footing the bill? Traumatic brain injury rehab aint cheap. Neurosurgery aint cheap.
I wish it was as black and white as "Freedom vs. Nanny-State," but it probably isn't.

I struggle against my knee-jerk-bleeding-heart-liberal tendencies on this one. It will probably save lives. It will probably save money too, though whose money it will save is open to debate.

I struggle with the question of, to what degree is it appropriate to mandate safe behavior if the unsafe behavior doesn't, ostensibly, infringe on the rest of us in any way other than financially. IOW, second hand smoke is harmful to non-smokers, so I'm ok with curtailing smoking. Drunk driving can potentially kill non-drunk-drivers, so make that illegal, fine. But if we mandate helmets, shouldn't we also outlaw unhealthy food, for example?

2015-02-18 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

the motivation behind this law probably boils down to insurance liability.

2015-02-18 4:39 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

The quote below comes from the sponsoring Senator's press release.  It doesn't mention insurance or other costs as a motivation - seems as though she knows whats best for everyone.

“Any responsible bicycle rider should wear a helmet,” said Liu, Chair of the Senate Education Committee. “This law will help protect more people and make sure all riders benefit from the head protection that a helmet provides.” - See more at:http://sd25.senate.ca.gov/news/2015-02-11-new-bill-requires-all-bicycle-riders-wear-helmets#sthash.0I6WDXZ2.dpuf

- any responsible person should not smoke cigarettes,...this law will help protect more people...

- any responsible person should not drink alcohol,...this law will help protect more people...

- any responsible person should not eat fast food,...this law will help protect more people...

- any responsible person should not drink sugary drinks,...this law will help protect more people...

2015-02-18 8:00 PM

User image

Elite

I struggle against my knee-jerk-bleeding-heart-liberal tendencies on this one. It will probably save lives. It will probably save money too, though whose money it will save is open to debate.

I struggle with the question of, to what degree is it appropriate to mandate safe behavior if the unsafe behavior doesn't, ostensibly, infringe on the rest of us in any way other than financially. IOW, second hand smoke is harmful to non-smokers, so I'm ok with curtailing smoking. Drunk driving can potentially kill non-drunk-drivers, so make that illegal, fine. But if we mandate helmets, shouldn't we also outlaw unhealthy food, for example?

Yes, yes we should. Soilent green for all!!!

Yeah, and this is why it's such a difficult issue. We do all end up footing the bill for people behaving irresponsibly. We'd all agree smoking is absolutely horrible and has no redeeming value...unless you're a tobacco farmer or work for the tobacco industry I guess. How do they sleep at night?
Anywhoo, alcohol's a little different because there are documented benefits in moderation.
Also, unhealthy food's a tough one. The French take in lots of rich foods and have lower heart disease rates...so that's not all food.

No easy answers darn it!

2015-02-18 8:35 PM

User image

Pro

All I know is that any responsible person would wear a jacket tonight...........geez, it's COLD!! 

2015-02-18 9:56 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by Left Brain

All I know is that any responsible person would wear a jacket tonight...........geez, it's COLD!! 

Hey,look! It is going to be sunny tomorrow!

(Cold.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Cold.PNG (423KB - 14 downloads)
2015-02-18 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

At first glance I'm with ya guys...but...I'd like to see an economist's take on the issue. How many lives will it save though? How much MONEY will it save? How effective will the law be at getting more people to do the right thing (which is to wear a helmet)? I have to think there are a whole lot of under or uninsured folks out there. When they inevitably make a mistake (we all do, we're human), who's footing the bill? Traumatic brain injury rehab aint cheap. Neurosurgery aint cheap. I wish it was as black and white as "Freedom vs. Nanny-State," but it probably isn't.
I struggle against my knee-jerk-bleeding-heart-liberal tendencies on this one. It will probably save lives. It will probably save money too, though whose money it will save is open to debate. I struggle with the question of, to what degree is it appropriate to mandate safe behavior if the unsafe behavior doesn't, ostensibly, infringe on the rest of us in any way other than financially. IOW, second hand smoke is harmful to non-smokers, so I'm ok with curtailing smoking. Drunk driving can potentially kill non-drunk-drivers, so make that illegal, fine. But if we mandate helmets, shouldn't we also outlaw unhealthy food, for example?
Yes, yes we should. Soilent green for all!!! Yeah, and this is why it's such a difficult issue. We do all end up footing the bill for people behaving irresponsibly. We'd all agree smoking is absolutely horrible and has no redeeming value...unless you're a tobacco farmer or work for the tobacco industry I guess. How do they sleep at night? Anywhoo, alcohol's a little different because there are documented benefits in moderation. Also, unhealthy food's a tough one. The French take in lots of rich foods and have lower heart disease rates...so that's not all food. No easy answers darn it!

I have trouble with this one too.  I think it will save money and lives.  While people should have their choice in the matter also.  I personally think riding with out a helmet is selfish to the family.  In case of traumatic injury that could be lessened or even prevented with the use of a helmet.  But that's a different argument.

I see the food issue as a immediate vs long term gain.  While unhealthy food is not inherently dangerous (I have my girl scout cookies coming soon!  I know The 2 boxes will be gone in a few days!)  it is if you eat it by the semi load.  Now getting hit by that semi with out wearing a helmet is likely to end much worse, much quicker.  Simply put - it's easier to regulate.

2015-02-19 11:55 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Issue with food regulation is I do not think they really ever know how bad is bad? Things like Coke and Pepsi are clearly bad for you but things like cookies and cake are much more of a grey area. Bad for you but you can live off them for some time. Plus you do have to live a little in life.

I look at bike helmets kinda like seat belts. No real reason not to wear one.

Only reason I can see why you wouldn't wear one is because of rent a bike. It will prevent you from making a spur on the moment decision to rent one.

2015-02-19 12:05 PM

User image

As a Californian my .02 is they actually start enforcing laws relating to bicycling safety... like maybe the 3 foot rule?....  rather than passing inane new ones.  We loves our laws in liberal mommy state land

2015-02-20 7:51 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Justin86

At first glance I'm with ya guys...but...I'd like to see an economist's take on the issue. How many lives will it save though? How much MONEY will it save? How effective will the law be at getting more people to do the right thing (which is to wear a helmet)? I have to think there are a whole lot of under or uninsured folks out there. When they inevitably make a mistake (we all do, we're human), who's footing the bill? Traumatic brain injury rehab aint cheap. Neurosurgery aint cheap. I wish it was as black and white as "Freedom vs. Nanny-State," but it probably isn't.
I struggle against my knee-jerk-bleeding-heart-liberal tendencies on this one. It will probably save lives. It will probably save money too, though whose money it will save is open to debate. I struggle with the question of, to what degree is it appropriate to mandate safe behavior if the unsafe behavior doesn't, ostensibly, infringe on the rest of us in any way other than financially. IOW, second hand smoke is harmful to non-smokers, so I'm ok with curtailing smoking. Drunk driving can potentially kill non-drunk-drivers, so make that illegal, fine. But if we mandate helmets, shouldn't we also outlaw unhealthy food, for example?
Yes, yes we should. Soilent green for all!!! Yeah, and this is why it's such a difficult issue. We do all end up footing the bill for people behaving irresponsibly. We'd all agree smoking is absolutely horrible and has no redeeming value...unless you're a tobacco farmer or work for the tobacco industry I guess. How do they sleep at night? Anywhoo, alcohol's a little different because there are documented benefits in moderation. Also, unhealthy food's a tough one. The French take in lots of rich foods and have lower heart disease rates...so that's not all food. No easy answers darn it!

I have trouble with this one too.  I think it will save money and lives.  While people should have their choice in the matter also.  I personally think riding with out a helmet is selfish to the family.  In case of traumatic injury that could be lessened or even prevented with the use of a helmet.  But that's a different argument.

I see the food issue as a immediate vs long term gain.  While unhealthy food is not inherently dangerous (I have my girl scout cookies coming soon!  I know The 2 boxes will be gone in a few days!)  it is if you eat it by the semi load.  Now getting hit by that semi with out wearing a helmet is likely to end much worse, much quicker.  Simply put - it's easier to regulate.

I'm with you guys on this too.  I always struggle trying to figure out if I'm in favor or against these types of laws for most of the same reasons you guys point out.

In most states they have mandatory motorcycle helmet laws, but in Iowa which neighbors us there are no such laws.  I would never get on a motorcycle (or bicycle) without a helmet, but do I have the right to mandate my personal opinion on everyone else?  Then you get into the costs of injury to society and it gets all out of whack.  lol
I ultimately fall on the side of live and let live because there are an infinite number of safety items I could legislate on others using the argument of "saving society money".  No motocross, no skiing, heck people die in triathlons so we should ban those too...  yada yada  (i know there's health benefits that outweigh the dangers of Tri's.  Just trying to be funny)  

At some point, society has to just accept that a certain percentage of stupid people are going to injure or kill themselves every year.

2015-02-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Jerry Seinfeld has a funny bit about helmets. ("Why do we need a helmet for skydiving? If your chute doesn't open, your helmet is now wearing you for protection."

He says that the whole idea of a helmet law is silly. "Why should we pass a law protecting a brain that is functioning so poorly that it can't even make the decision to protect itself with a helmet?"

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-02-20 12:46 PM
2015-02-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by tuwood

I'm with you guys on this too.  I always struggle trying to figure out if I'm in favor or against these types of laws for most of the same reasons you guys point out.

In most states they have mandatory motorcycle helmet laws, but in Iowa which neighbors us there are no such laws.  I would never get on a motorcycle (or bicycle) without a helmet, but do I have the right to mandate my personal opinion on everyone else?  Then you get into the costs of injury to society and it gets all out of whack.  lol
I ultimately fall on the side of live and let live because there are an infinite number of safety items I could legislate on others using the argument of "saving society money".  No motocross, no skiing, heck people die in triathlons so we should ban those too...  yada yada  (i know there's health benefits that outweigh the dangers of Tri's.  Just trying to be funny)  

At some point, society has to just accept that a certain percentage of stupid people are going to injure or kill themselves every year.

Well said. 

2015-02-22 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Enjoyed a nice ride without my helmet today (rode the mtb in the foothills).  That was nice, and fun.  And I survived.  Just say no to helicopter legislators.  She needs to be voted out of office.  Bet her stupid butt hasn't been on a bicycle seat ever.

2015-02-22 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Enjoyed a nice ride without my helmet today (rode the mtb in the foothills).  That was nice, and fun.  And I survived.  Just say no to helicopter legislators.  She needs to be voted out of office.  Bet her stupid butt hasn't been on a bicycle seat ever.

Congratulations?

While I agree that legislation is overkill, congratulations to you for having no common sense.

Edited by Justin86 2015-02-22 6:08 PM
2015-02-22 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Congratulations?

While I agree that legislation is overkill, congratulations to you for having no common sense.

Many people would argue riding a bike on the road shows no common sense.  So, welcome to the no common sense club.

2015-02-23 9:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

I have a sister-in-law who lost her job in California because of a law like this.  It was one about motorcyclists wearing helmets.  The entire department she worked in, neurological trauma (or something like this), had to close its doors because of lack of business.  She is a nurse.

2015-02-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: annie

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by annie

I have a sister-in-law who lost her job in California because of a law like this.  It was one about motorcyclists wearing helmets.  The entire department she worked in, neurological trauma (or something like this), had to close its doors because of lack of business.  She is a nurse.

Really?  So the neurological trauma department wasn't overflowing with brain-injured bicyclists?  That's pretty interesting.

2015-02-23 4:52 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by annie

Really?  So the neurological trauma department wasn't overflowing with brain-injured bicyclists?  That's pretty interesting.

That means its more important to wear a helmet because there will be no one to help you in an emergency.

2015-02-23 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I'd like to help Ms. Liu craft some effective legislation to help protect all Californian's against traumatic brain injury.  Let's consult the CDC on this, since the sample size of her two brain-injured relatives seems a bit small to legislate behavior for the entire adult population of the state:

http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/get_the_facts.html

CDC Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury

It appears that there is a much bigger opportunity for protecting the populace if we require 24/7 helmets for anybody over 45 and under the age of 14, with a particular emphasis on males.  Similarly, all occupants of cars need helmets, as well.  Boys age 10-14 need kevlar lined helmets to protect from cranial gunshot injury (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm).  And kids age 0-4, along with young adults 15-25, probably need some mandatory self-defense training.

Lastly, we really need to protect phone-happy pedestrians from themselves.  A new law to require helmets for people who are texting while walking should be strongly considered:  http://wtop.com/news/2014/03/texting-walking-more-risky-than-distracted-driving/

Edited by SevenZulu 2015-02-23 4:58 PM
2015-02-23 5:42 PM

User image

Pro

I'd like to help Ms. Liu craft some effective legislation to help protect all Californian's against traumatic brain injury.  Let's consult the CDC on this, since the sample size of her two brain-injured relatives seems a bit small to legislate behavior for the entire adult population of the state:

It appears that there is a much bigger opportunity for protecting the populace if we require 24/7 helmets for anybody over 45 and under the age of 14, with a particular emphasis on males.  Similarly, all occupants of cars need helmets, as well.  Boys age 10-14 need kevlar lined helmets to protect from cranial gunshot injury (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm).  And kids age 0-4, along with young adults 15-25, probably need some mandatory self-defense training.

Lastly, we really need to protect phone-happy pedestrians from themselves.  A new law to require helmets for people who are texting while walking should be strongly considered:  http://wtop.com/news/2014/03/texting-walking-more-risky-than-distracted-driving/

Can I not enjoy a beer without spitting it out laughing.......please?  LMAO

2015-02-23 6:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by Left Brain

Can I not enjoy a beer without spitting it out laughing.......please?  LMAO

If you slip and fall on that beer you spit out, you'll wish you were wearing a helmet. 

2015-02-23 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Mandatory Bicycle (Adult) Helmet Law in CA Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Calif. Judge Rules Teacher Tenure Law Unconstitutional

Started by DanielG
Views: 1181 Posts: 7

2014-06-12 5:19 PM tuwood

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1896 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2148 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : March 13, 2005
author : malvey
Training for mature and older adults is the key to staying young.