General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Considering Kestrel: 105 or Ultegra? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-16 1:01 PM

Subject: Newbie Considering Kestrel: 105 or Ultegra?
Intimidated newbie seeks advice!

I've never done a tri or marathon in my life (57 years) but I do swim 2500-3000m 3 times per week, walk about 4 miles per day (6-8 on weekends) and can ride 25 miles on my road bike (in summer) in about 1:40. I've no idea if a tri makes sense but it seems like a good fit for my interests and goals.

My question is, as a newbie, should I just use my road bike or should I get a new tri-bike (the latter being my preference, of course!). I've been considering the Kestrel Talons but should I go with the standard 105 with Ovals or the Ultegra with Maviks? There's about $800 price difference. Will I even notice a difference, yet? My road bike is a custom with Dura-Ace.

And what is a reasonable price for the 2014 or 2015 version of the Talons?

Thanks so much for any advice!

2015-02-16 7:17 PM
in reply to: aturnbul

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Newbie Considering Kestrel: 105 or Ultegra?
Just my opinion, but I would recommend you get a few races under your belt on your road bike before you decide to drop your $$ on a tri bike.
2015-02-16 8:56 PM

User image

Pro

You'll love Tri's- they're a hoot.  And since you're already a swimmer, the part that most people find scary, won't be for you.

If you have a decent road bike- just stick with it.  There is very little 'speed' difference between bikes.  People spend a lot of coin on bikes for their subtle difference in feel.  If you're riding a mountain bike right now, then getting a roadie will make a lot of difference in your time.

There would be very limited usefulness for you to purchase a Talon.  Firstly, that bike is rather long in the tooth.  It's designed to be somewhere in between  a road bike and a tri bike- so not really the best for either.  If you are in the mood to buy a new bike, there are a lot better bikes out there.

as for getting ready for a tri- I'd think the biggest thing to do for your time (if you care about your time)... is to start running.  Try a Galloway method where you mix in run and walk time.

2015-02-17 4:50 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Completely agree with Morey. Use your road bike for a couple of seasons to make sure you truly do love multi-sport racing. To be honest, the Talon is not a very good tri bike... it's really designed to be a road bike that can be used as a tri bike, which only meant that it's neither a great road bike nor a great tri bike... And yes, I used to have one, so personal experience (and opinion).
2015-02-17 8:11 PM

Thank you all. Your arguments make a lot of sense and I really do appreciate your time and advice. I think I'll stick with what I have for this summer.

The next question is should I mod it at all? For me, time doesn't really matter - I'd just like to finish and enjoy myself.
2015-02-18 11:05 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by aturnbul ... The next question is should I mod it at all? For me, time doesn't really matter - I'd just like to finish and enjoy myself.

Assuming you have some kinda' decent road bike already, if you don't care about time, then don't bother with any mods.  If you want to be a little faster with mods (rather than training).

***  you'll want to get a tri suit.  once piece or two piece- your choice.  I like the onsey's.  It will make race day much easier and more comfortable.

1.  get an aero helmet. (or, if you want to go the cheap route, use clear packing tape and cover up the slots on your regular road helmet)

2.  add tri -bars to the front, and readjust your saddle/position.  then train in this position to get used to it.

3.  tires/tubes.   Can't go wrong with a set of Continental GP4000S as all around great tires, and latex tubes- just for race day.

4. if you don't have a basic electronics setup, I'd put this first.  Something like a Garmin Edge 510 on your bike, or one of the fine multisport GPS watches (but that's a whole separate thread).  Yes- the HR monitor is important!

5.  And I mostly said #4 so that I could say "buy a power meter".  But now you're beyond the 'just for fun' stage, and looking at a tool that will enable you to optimize your training and racing intensity.  once again, a whole separate thread.

2015-02-18 6:57 PM

Thank you once again!

By tri suit, do you mean something like the Blue Seventy Reaction? Is this recommendation for the buoyancy or for the temperature?

I'm not familiar with the Garmin, I use the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak HR (which I love). At a guess, they're similar but I'm still learning about all the things th Ambit can do. Is there a particular power meter that you'd recommend?

I realize the conversation has wandered a bit from the discussion title but the advice is greatly appreciated.
2015-02-18 7:18 PM

User image

Pro

The Blue Seventy is a Wetsuit.  If you are doing cold open water swims- then yes, you'll want one of those as well.  I was referring to something like this:

http://www.trisports.com/zoot-men-performance-tri-racesuit.html

(not recommending this particular product, just as an example of a reasonably priced one piece.  you could go two piece as well)

Ambit 3 is a great, fully featured, solid multisport tool.  That's all you need in that department.

Power meters are cool.  There are pro's and cons to each style.  Mostly- they're all good, just depends on your desires.  I guess with the Ambit 3, just make sure it's a bluetooth smart powermeter, rather than an ANT+.   Power meters aren't necessary tho'.  Unless you're really gonna' get into the whole "racing and training with a power meter" tech thing, and tracking your FTP, TSS, IS, ATL, etc... they're overkill for most.  Just ride a lot.  sometimes hard, sometimes easy.  If you live for numbers- then you'll enjoy it.

2015-02-19 1:07 PM

Thank you very much. I've just ordered a suit. I also have one of the Wahoo Bluetooth cadence meters (I think Suunto sent it to me as a bonus) which may have to do me for the first race (which I've just registered for!).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Considering Kestrel: 105 or Ultegra? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2011 Kestrel Talon Tri Shimano 105?

Started by Sail15
Views: 3720 Posts: 7

2012-05-02 4:31 PM PeteDin206

105 STI Shifters with Ultegra Derailleurs

Started by ultramike
Views: 931 Posts: 4

2007-03-30 2:42 PM RedCorvette

105 vs ultegra

Started by tkbslc
Views: 1067 Posts: 9

2006-09-12 11:16 PM runningfoo

105 vs ultegra

Started by streams180
Views: 916 Posts: 5

2005-09-29 1:21 AM streams180

Shimano 105 to Ultegra

Started by Motivated
Views: 1320 Posts: 4

2004-07-12 1:27 PM charlie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 13, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 8
Choosing a groupset for your next bike? This article offers a detailed comparison of the differences between the Shimano 105 and Ultegra groupsets.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.