General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from NY Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-17 9:14 PM

Subject: Newbie from NY
Hi folks. I'm a complete newbie to triathlon but it sounds like a ton of fun.

I'm 57, 6' 4" and about 15 pounds into "over-weight." I'm comfortable with the swimming (I've done six mile open water before, but that was quite a while ago) and road cycling (PR for 25 miles around 1:40, a little more recent).

The running is the thing that worries me - I have arthritis in both knees. Strangely, the knees feel better after a brisk 3 mile walk (I take our puppy every day and she'll go 6 miles or more if I let her) so I'm hoping the running will be manageable. On the other hand, if I can't run, I know I can walk 6 miles!

Triathlon sounds like it should be challenging but satisfying and a great way to keep in shape. The people I've been reading about here sound like a great way to keep motivated

Goes anyone have any recommendations for a newbie Olympic tri in, say, August or September? My times don't matter much to me - I really just want to finish, meet interesting people, and have fun (although I'll admit, I find the whole thing a bit intimidating!). Travel is not an issue.

Thanks for reading and I hope to meet some of you at an upcoming event.

2015-02-21 12:22 PM
in reply to: aturnbul

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Newbie from NY
Welcome to this site and fun sport of triathlon! Sounds like you have a good solid background already and will do great!

I don't know any OLY races up your way, but I'm sure there are lots. You could ask in the New York group. If you feel like traveling, we have alot of great races here in NC!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from NY Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello, newbie from NY

Started by plampione
Views: 726 Posts: 4

2012-05-18 7:08 AM plampione

Newbie from NY's Capital

Started by UpStateBeginner
Views: 980 Posts: 9

2008-05-14 9:02 PM wintimtim

Newbie upstate NY

Started by lockdown199
Views: 953 Posts: 5

2008-04-10 6:25 PM zipp1

Newbie in NY

Started by Jachlopecki
Views: 881 Posts: 6

2008-04-15 11:48 AM Jachlopecki

Newbie in NY

Started by tflower16
Views: 689 Posts: 2

2007-08-31 3:32 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!