General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new bike price negotiating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-18 4:31 PM

User image

Subject: new bike price negotiating
I'm in the market for a new tri bike. Of purchasing from local shop, non franchise should I expect to be able to negotiate a deal better than msrp?

2015-02-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: zsigovits

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: new bike price negotiating

Only if you don't care whether the shop is around to take care of warranty issues.

2015-02-19 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

I believe you can always negotiate in person. MSRP is a starting point and most bikes in shops are discounted a bit from that, and even more so if they are late model bikes and 1-3 years old and still on the inventory floor. 

All that said, you also have other options for getting the bike you want. There are so many great bikes on the secondary market, so going and paying MSRP is of the past in my opinion. 

I work for a company in Maryland called mybikeshop.com. We buy, sell, and trade demo, late model, and used bikes every day all over the world. It's a bit like Carmax if you are familiar with that company. As an example, we sell fully warrantied 2014 Blue road and tri bikes for about 50% MSRP and they are still warrantied by the manufacturer. We also offer our own 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are unhappy with the bike you get from us for any reason, we will take it back no questions asked and pay return freight. 

We also have many other bike options that will enable you to find the bike at your price point, and potentially get twice the bike for half the price. Just an option to consider... you can chekck us out at www.mybikeshop.com - we'd be happy to help.

Thanks for considering it.

Brian

2015-02-21 5:09 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The margin is not that great on most bikes, so don't expect much of a discount. Negotiate to get something accessories included instead.
2015-02-22 12:25 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yep, margin on new bikes sucks.

Much easier to negotiate for a discount on extra gear, get a fit etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new bike price negotiating Rss Feed