General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prescription meds and medical exemptions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-19 2:30 PM

Subject: Prescription meds and medical exemptions
Hi Folks,

I've just signed up for my first Olympic triathlon and am looking forward to it with excitement and trepidation. The asthma inhaler thread got me wondering about my prescription meds. I'm doing this for personal goal reasons and I certainly won't be setting any records except PRs but I'd like to eliminate any issues that might trouble me, race organizers or other competitors before anything (unintentionally) comes up.

Where might I find information on the Medical Exemption process, please? Forms, filing, doctor recommendations, etc?

Thanks very much for any advice.

2015-02-19 2:36 PM
in reply to: aturnbul

User image

Subject: RE: Prescription meds and medical exemptions

You should probably check first to see if your meds are on the list, they may not be.

WADA List

2015-02-19 3:35 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

You should probably check first to see if your meds are on the list, they may not be.

WADA List

Interesting that there are several asthma medicines that are not on there. I would not have guessed that so many bronchiodialators would be considered OK.

FWIW, I abhor cheating, but I have never heard of drug testing age groupers at a race, and if someone showed up with a prescription inhaler, I wouldn't think twice about it. Exercised induced asthma is really common. I have ridden bikes or skied with people who have it. I can always tell when they are about to reach for the inhaler because I can hear the tell-tale wheezing. Even after the inhaler, they aren't 100%, so they certainly aren't using it to get some sort of advantage.
2015-02-19 8:29 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

yeah, i have two that I tried out that were both not on the list.

2015-02-19 9:12 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Thank you everyone for your help The list is exactly what I needed and I'm going over it now.
2015-02-20 11:34 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Veteran
Great White North
In the 90's we all would fill out a list of all meds we had taken or might take before a major swim meet. Certain asthma meds were OK if declared with a copy of the scrip label. Its tighter now but its the easiest TUE to obtain.

2015-02-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ChrisM

WADA List

And, another reference:  http://www.globaldro.com/

2015-02-21 12:58 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Surprisingly (to me), none of mine are on either list. I'll check with my physician (he's a marathoner), but it looks like one less thing to distract me from my terror before the start of my first tri

Thanks everyone.
2015-02-22 4:12 PM
in reply to: #5094581

User image

Regular
Just an informal poll......how many people who are only out there for the experience and selfish reasons and are NOT competing for overall wins or age group wins are applying for TUEs? I have an inhaler and take a prescription medication that would be illegal. My goal is to better my time and finish better than my last race. But, I will not be filing for an exemption. No offense to anyone, but I'm not a threat to anyone.
2015-02-22 4:16 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Not me, but if I was told I needed T supplementation, I would either find a legal alternative or not race. To each their own I gues. I'm not racing for a podium either, but I wouldn't draft.
2015-02-22 4:17 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by hessma Just an informal poll......how many people who are only out there for the experience and selfish reasons and are NOT competing for overall wins or age group wins are applying for TUEs? I have an inhaler and take a prescription medication that would be illegal. My goal is to better my time and finish better than my last race. But, I will not be filing for an exemption. No offense to anyone, but I'm not a threat to anyone.

I don't use illegal drugs, but if I needed to I would get a TUE. If you don't follow the rules, you are cheating.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prescription meds and medical exemptions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Therapeutic Use Exemption Pages: 1 2 3

Started by acerbins
Views: 4329 Posts: 52

2010-06-25 12:04 PM merlin2375

Theraputic Use Exemption for Medication

Started by jezzieswims
Views: 885 Posts: 5

2010-03-22 8:42 PM triathlondoctor

Prescription Googles?

Started by KathyG
Views: 2005 Posts: 11

2006-01-30 11:02 AM Whizzer

Prescription Riding Glasses?

Started by malvey
Views: 701 Posts: 3

2004-04-05 9:35 PM umbach

prescription sunglasses

Started by trilover
Views: 1130 Posts: 12

2003-12-09 1:20 PM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : November 27, 2005
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
It is inadvisable for some people to begin an intensive exercise program without first consulting a health professional for advice, monitoring, and in some cases, tests.

date : July 17, 2005
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.