General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extra shoes, and transitions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-19 2:57 PM

Subject: Extra shoes, and transitions
I bought my shoes in October, and afterwards as we were fitting on new cleats, one of the strap split on the upper. We attached it with a little duct tape, and it works fine. (IOW, if you took the strap off the shoe completely one end would have the velcro separating for about 2 inches from the strap.)

They sent me a second set of the same shoes, new, as a warranty replacement, but I've left them in the box.

The first pair seems totally workable, no problems at all.

What should I do with the 2nd set? Keep them for when the 1st set wears out? (Will they be good that long?) Sell them? Alternate?

Secondly, I went to try attaching them to the bike with rubber bands for T1... only to find they had no strap on the back of the shoe, the little rear cleat won't hold it, and I'm not sure what to attach them to on the bike anyway.

Suggestions, then, for stabilizing my shoes T1? This will be my first tri, and while I've read a ton and been training/practicing, I'm still learning the ropes, as evidenced by buying shoes without a back loop.

Thanks

2015-03-14 8:07 PM
in reply to: BrooklynBen

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Extra shoes, and transitions
For your first triathlon, Keep It Simple. Have you been practicing a moving mount, because you MUST know how to do that if you're going to have your bike shoes already mounted on the bike. I really wouldn't recommend this for your first race.

Yeah, usually the rubber band is looped through the back loop on the bike shoe; without that, I'm not sure what to suggest. However, the other end is usually looped around the end of the rear skewer.
2015-03-16 6:04 AM
in reply to: BrooklynBen

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Extra shoes, and transitions

My cycling shoes (three velcro straps) do not have a loop at the back.  To attach them to the bike I push an elastic band through the metal loop that the velcro goes through.  I then attach the elastic bands to the chainstays on either side.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extra shoes, and transitions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

extra wide bike shoes

Started by dscuttino
Views: 4213 Posts: 8

2011-04-15 2:39 PM danielc

Shoes, shoes, shoes

Started by trinewbie67
Views: 1336 Posts: 4

2010-04-23 1:30 PM mrcurtain

Transition Platforms vs Bike Shoes

Started by DRM
Views: 800 Posts: 4

2005-09-17 7:42 AM Brett

bike shoes during transitions?

Started by cevans111
Views: 1088 Posts: 9

2005-07-20 5:29 PM Steve-

road shoes or tri shoes?

Started by autumn
Views: 1002 Posts: 4

2004-09-17 2:36 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : May 21, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If you are a fitness exerciser, you are unlikely to need extra electrolytes to replace those lost in sweat. If you exercise hard for more than four hours in the heat, replacment may be needed.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.