General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-20 12:06 PM

User image

Subject: Training Plans
I am strictly doing sprint triathlons. I have seen training plans that are 12 week, 16 week and some 20 week ones. I really want to improve this year over last and want to stick to a plan. Is there much benefit by doing a 16 week plan over a 12 week or a 20 week over a 16 week? It seems like most I have seen are 12 week but if a 16 week is better I would spend more time looking for one. How are the plans offered on this site? Are they any better than other sites?

2015-02-20 2:34 PM
in reply to: cdiemert

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Training Plans

Are you currently actively doing swim/bike/run or starting from scratch?    Some like the shorter plans if they are already active, but want to train specifically closer to the race.  If you're just starting out, the longer plans are great if you have the length of time to devote to them.  I often pick my plan length based on the time available between now and the race! 

I have used the plans on this site many, many times and find them to be excellent.  I also like the benefit of being able to load the plan into my training calendar and sync with my Google calendar easily.  You can load any plan into your training calendar here (membership dependent) but it's very easily done with plans on the site. 

There is also a custom plan creator (membership dependent of course) and you can pick a specific length of time, number of workouts, etc.  I like the flexibility of that since I tend to need more discipline with running, but prefer fewer structured bikes and swims.

2015-02-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Thank you for your reply! I have been staying active from 2013 to now swimming, biking and running. Of course, I am not a pro so there are periods of time (a few weeks or so) where I do nothing.

Are the paid plans on this site detailed? That is, I have seen some free plans on the internet that say Monday: Run 30 minutes, Tuesday: Bike 40 minutes, Wednesday: OFF, Thursday: Swim 20 minutes, etc.

I am looking for more detail than that. For example, Monday: Run, Z1 5 minutes, Z3 20 minutes, Z5 1 minute, etc. Tuesday: Bike, 10' (Z1), 20' (Z3), 2' (Z4), etc

I don't want to pay for a plan here if it is the former less detailed version I described.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
2015-02-27 3:00 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I like training peaks and you can buy their plans. Some are more detailed than others, and I don't think their preview always shows you enough to make a good decision. I'm currently shopping for a HIM plan from them, and also love detail particularly on the swim. I'm not sure and I'm assuming that the longer plans might have more of an "intro period" that might not be long enough for what you are currently doing. If thats the case I would probably either up the intensity at the beginning or the time.

I'm also no pro so take what I say w/ a grain of salt.
2015-02-27 5:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
With a Silver membership (not sure about Bronze) you have access to several intermediate sprint and Oly plans. They run from 12-26 weeks and include different numbers of races. You would probably need to tweak the timing a bit to accommodate your actual race schedule. All are quite detailed. One of the sprint plans is HR based, if that's what you're looking for; the others are RPE but you could easily use HR with those as well if you check what HR corresponds to each effort level. I haven't done the intermediate sprint plans but have used one of the Oly plans and it was quite challenging, with a lot of intensity on run and bike. As I recall, the swim workouts seemed a bit easy so I mixed it up with workouts from some other sources (Sara McLarty's website and articles, our hometown master's group). Might not be an issue if you're not a strong swimmer.

One thing to think about is your readiness to do run speedwork. The intermediate plans tend to have considerably more of that than beginner plans, so make sure you have built up a good base before starting (esp. the shorter plans, which tend to assume you have a base) and keep on top of stretching, rolling, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Plan Attack Plan

Started by Nvmiller
Views: 720 Posts: 5

2014-08-11 11:22 PM Ron

2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans

Started by KirkD
Views: 1488 Posts: 5

2010-12-03 10:38 AM KirkD

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui

Started by jdevito20
Views: 2261 Posts: 7

2008-05-12 5:15 PM Aikidoman

Training Peaks/Eric Schwartz's Training Plans?

Started by LogansMom
Views: 1734 Posts: 2

2007-05-28 6:15 PM mikericci

Flexibility training plans for off-season training

Started by shadt31
Views: 991 Posts: 5

2005-11-18 12:08 PM shadt31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.

date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.