General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitions: Clothing change Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-20 7:51 PM

Subject: Transitions: Clothing change
I'm planning on doing my first triathlon this summer (sprint) and I'm not sure how the transition works. I've heard/read that people do the whole race is just a swimsuit, but I cannot bike/run without a proper sports bra. Is there time to change into one during the transition?

2015-02-20 7:59 PM
in reply to: lrhitchcock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Transitions: Clothing change

you cannot change in transition (at least not get naked)  Wear your sportsbra during the swim.

2015-02-20 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You can wear the sports bra under your swimsuit, or, better yet, invest in a tri top and shorts or a one-piece tri suit. Tri tops and suits usually have a built-in bra that is sometimes adequate for smaller women; others will be more comfortable with a sports bra underneath.

The disadvantage of doing the entire race in a swimsuit and sports bra is that the bike might be really uncomfortable--it depends on your anatomy, your swim suit, your bike seat, and the length of the race how much of an issue this is. I did my first tri (an off-road event between sprint and Oly distance, with a 25 km bike leg) in a sports bra, men's jammers (since no tri shorts were available in Vietnam), and a tech shirt for the bike and run and I really suffered with chafing on the bike. With a decent pair of tri shorts and now a one-piece tri suit, I haven't had chafing issues in any races up to and including half ironman distance.
2015-02-21 6:50 AM

User image

Also look for videos online of transitions (sprint) or try to go watch a race before your first. It will help a lot with prepping for your first.
2015-02-21 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
First rule of sprint triathlons is to keep it as simple as possible. Race is over in 1:00-1:15, an extra 2 mins spent in transition is huge. Second, as you go through triathlon you will find a kit that works best for you, don't expect to get it 100% correct your first time out. Most important, have fun!
2015-02-21 11:08 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Oysterboy First rule of sprint triathlons is to keep it as simple as possible. Race is over in 1:00-1:15, an extra 2 mins spent in transition is huge. Second, as you go through triathlon you will find a kit that works best for you, don't expect to get it 100% correct your first time out. Most important, have fun!

Not familiar with races in that area, but around here 1:00-1:15 is overall champ time. "Most" people would be more in the 1:25-1:50 range. 2 minutes is a fair amount of time, but being the first race just try to find something that works fairly simple. Several decent ideas already up. Don't need to knock it out of the park in regards to perfect execution. Frustration and discomfort would be more likely to keep someone from coming back than being 2 minutes slow.

2015-02-21 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Typically there is no changing place in transition.  Keep it simple, find a pair of tri-shorts and wear a sports bra under any top your comfortable in that won't impede your swimming. 

For triathlons, a trisuit is a swimmers swimsuit (with padding for biking), but typically are not rated for pool swimming (not chlorine resistant)

X

2015-02-21 12:48 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Originally posted by Donto

Typically there is no changing place in transition.  Keep it simple, find a pair of tri-shorts and wear a sports bra under any top your comfortable in that won't impede your swimming. 

100% agree with keeping it simple. With this being your first tri two minutes extra in transition is really not important. However, getting frustrated trying to get wet clothes off and dry ones on when you are still wet from the pool has the potential to really put you off doing any more triathlons.

You want to start and finish in the same items of clothing, whatever they may be.
2015-02-21 1:49 PM

User image

I am well endowed, so I wear tri shorts and a black sports bra for the swim. I really like the Shock Absorber bras. They are completely opaque when wet and the most supportive bras I own. I am not comfortable biking and running in just a bra, so I have a very lightweight cycling jersey that I put on in T1. It is full zip, so I am not fussing with trying to pull something over my head. FWIW, I have very fast transition times, usually some of the fastest in any race I do, so this method doesn't slow you down.

If you are concerned about bra chafing, I highly recommend Skin Sake. It doesn't come off with swimming or sweating the way Body Glide does.
2015-02-22 4:01 PM

Any kind of nudity is actually against regulations during tri. Once in a while, there are people who try to change and miss their attempt. Nobody will notice during the race, everybody is busy doing their thing. Sometime people remove their shorts with their swimsuit. I did not see the rules being applied stupidly for amateurs but I would agree with the others, better to keep it simple.

About the speed of transitions, some videos I saw did it pretty fast and some others did it slow. The ones who do it slow will tell you that hurrying too much is a perfect way to forget something like running with your helmet on for instance (my first tri).

I would read the rules, there are some stupid things you can do which will penalize you. For instance, if you pick your bike without having your helmet on, even if you don't mount it, you could get penalized. Watch some videos and read rules, you will learn a lot about how transition goes.

Some people who don't buy tri suit will swim with bike shorts. In more familial ones triathlons, I saw ladies swim in bikini like suit which may be what is described here as sport bras or plain bikinis. (I would not know...). One thing is sure, men or women, topless is not legit during triathlon.

Don't worry too much about your first triathlon, it will be fun.
2015-02-22 6:01 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Antoine tri Any kind of nudity is actually against regulations during tri. Once in a while, there are people who try to change and miss their attempt. Nobody will notice during the race, everybody is busy doing their thing. Sometime people remove their shorts with their swimsuit. I did not see the rules being applied stupidly for amateurs but I would agree with the others, better to keep it simple. About the speed of transitions, some videos I saw did it pretty fast and some others did it slow. The ones who do it slow will tell you that hurrying too much is a perfect way to forget something like running with your helmet on for instance (my first tri). I would read the rules, there are some stupid things you can do which will penalize you. For instance, if you pick your bike without having your helmet on, even if you don't mount it, you could get penalized. Watch some videos and read rules, you will learn a lot about how transition goes. Some people who don't buy tri suit will swim with bike shorts. In more familial ones triathlons, I saw ladies swim in bikini like suit which may be what is described here as sport bras or plain bikinis. (I would not know...). One thing is sure, men or women, topless is not legit during triathlon. Don't worry too much about your first triathlon, it will be fun.

The bolded are WTC rules. Your triathlon is most likely not WTC. According to USAT rules, as long as you have not mounted your bike, you will not be penalized, and men can go shirtless, women can wear just a sports bra (or I guess any bra).

2015-02-24 12:50 AM

User image

And practice your transition a couple of times.
Like someone else mentioned, check out some videos on transitions, then think of how you would like to do yours.
Then actually practice it at home (or out).
Put all your gears ready as you will on race day and put it on as if you come from the swim or start your run.

Most will have a set sequence of what to put on when, so it is logical and quick.
I start at bottom, with the socks lying on top of the cycling shoes, so I don't forget to put them on first, then the shoes.
Next is the bib and gloves. And on my bike I will hang the helmet with sunnies inside, so I put on sunnies then helmet and I am off.

Pro's will do it differently to save further seconds with running mount etc, but find your own way.

AND bring a towel, for a quick dab before putting on socks etc if you like.
2015-02-24 1:51 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This depends on the country. Assuming the OP is in the US, shirtless (for guys) or sports bra top (for women) might be okay; in most of the races I've done in SE Asia, both men and women have to have torsos covered on bike and run (though bare-chested for guys and bikini top for women is okay for the swim). It isn't always enforced, but I have seen people called on it.
2015-02-24 7:05 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Antoine tri Any kind of nudity is actually against regulations during tri. Once in a while, there are people who try to change and miss their attempt. Nobody will notice during the race, everybody is busy doing their thing. Sometime people remove their shorts with their swimsuit. I did not see the rules being applied stupidly for amateurs but I would agree with the others, better to keep it simple. About the speed of transitions, some videos I saw did it pretty fast and some others did it slow. The ones who do it slow will tell you that hurrying too much is a perfect way to forget something like running with your helmet on for instance (my first tri). I would read the rules, there are some stupid things you can do which will penalize you. For instance, if you pick your bike without having your helmet on, even if you don't mount it, you could get penalized. Watch some videos and read rules, you will learn a lot about how transition goes. Some people who don't buy tri suit will swim with bike shorts. In more familial ones triathlons, I saw ladies swim in bikini like suit which may be what is described here as sport bras or plain bikinis. (I would not know...). One thing is sure, men or women, topless is not legit during triathlon. Don't worry too much about your first triathlon, it will be fun.

The bolded are WTC rules. Your triathlon is most likely not WTC. According to USAT rules, as long as you have not mounted your bike, you will not be penalized, and men can go shirtless, women can wear just a sports bra (or I guess any bra).

little off topic- Last year at Eagleman they made the call that wetsuites were not allowed the morning of the race, when everyone thought they would be. Many people were upset, however they also emphasized the rules that you must covered during the race which meant the swim as well. Some men were scrambling to find some kind of a tech shirt to wear during the swim. One guy who everyone noticed decided to wear his girlfriends sportsbra! It was an interesting morning in MD!
2015-02-24 7:20 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

little off topic- Last year at Eagleman they made the call that wetsuites were not allowed the morning of the race, when everyone thought they would be. Many people were upset, however they also emphasized the rules that you must covered during the race which meant the swim as well. Some men were scrambling to find some kind of a tech shirt to wear during the swim. One guy who everyone noticed decided to wear his girlfriends sportsbra! It was an interesting morning in MD!

That made me curious, so I looked up the USAT rules and couldn't find anything about being covered. Where do the rules state that?
2015-02-24 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Originally posted by happyscientist

That made me curious, so I looked up the USAT rules and couldn't find anything about being covered. Where do the rules state that?

Eagleman is a WTC race. USAT sanctions WTC races, but seperately WTC's own rules requires a top.

Edited by Barkeep 2015-02-24 8:36 AM

2015-02-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Great White North
ITU requires a top for the bike/run. WTC rules are now supposed to mirror ITU. Lots of men swimming without a top in Kona. I think someone got carried away in their interpretation on the rules at Eagleman.
2015-02-24 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Wearing a loose fitting shirt in a swim is stupid and potentially dangerous.
2015-02-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by simpsonbo

ITU requires a top for the bike/run. WTC rules are now supposed to mirror ITU. Lots of men swimming without a top in Kona. I think someone got carried away in their interpretation on the rules at Eagleman.

Yes I believe the officials interpreted the rule wrong for the swim, but that was their ruling. It did not effect many since most people use a tri top or one piece anyway. It was funny to watch a guy putting a sports bra on for the swim!
2015-02-24 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
The top rule came in 1995 if I recall correctly. I was nearly dq'd at a youth race for not wearing a top. A volunteer grabbed me a cotton tank top and off I went in T1.
2015-02-25 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by happyscientist

You are right, I should have specified where I took those rules from. It is in Quebec, Canada.

It is written in French so I add my translation below. The rules are taken from Triathlon Quebec site, here is the direct link: http://triathlonquebec.objectif226.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TQ...

"d. Il est interdit de circuler torse nu lors du vélo et de la course à pied. " (page 33)
It is forbidden to move with uncovered torso while biking or running

"h) la nudité ou l'exposition indécente sont interdites." (page 10)
Nudity and indency is forbidden

"b. Le casque doit être bouclé en tout temps lorsque le compétiteur est en possession du vélo, c'est-à-dire avant de prendre son vélo du support à vélos au début de la course cycliste, jusqu'à ce qu'il ait replacé son vélo sur le support à vélos à la fin du parcours cycliste." (page 33)
The helmet must be buckled at all time when the competitor is in possession of his bike i.e. before taking his bke off the bike rack at the beginning of the bike race up to the moment where he placed it back on the bike rack at the end of the bike "circuit".

So basically under those rules, you can swim without a top but you cannot bike or run in the same conditions. You must also wear your helmet before taking your bike and while placing it back on the bike rack.

I would be surprised it those rules are very different from international rules but I encourage you to read the rules which applies to your region. I would be curious to hear if the rules are different.

Edited by Antoine tri 2015-02-25 8:22 PM

2015-04-25 12:15 PM

User image

The announcement of having to be covered at Eagleman 2014 was incorrect. They "re-announced" the proper ruling in that men could go shirtless during the swim right before my wave went off.
2015-07-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

Originally posted by Antoine tri

Any kind of nudity is actually against regulations during tri. Once in a while, there are people who try to change and miss their attempt. Nobody will notice during the race, everybody is busy doing their thing. Sometime people remove their shorts with their swimsuit. I did not see the rules being applied stupidly for amateurs but I would agree with the others, better to keep it simple.

About the speed of transitions, some videos I saw did it pretty fast and some others did it slow. The ones who do it slow will tell you that hurrying too much is a perfect way to forget something like running with your helmet on for instance (my first tri).

I would read the rules, there are some stupid things you can do which will penalize you. For instance, if you pick your bike without having your helmet on, even if you don't mount it, you could get penalized. Watch some videos and read rules, you will learn a lot about how transition goes.

Some people who don't buy tri suit will swim with bike shorts. In more familial ones triathlons, I saw ladies swim in bikini like suit which may be what is described here as sport bras or plain bikinis. (I would not know...). One thing is sure, men or women, topless is not legit during triathlon.

Don't worry too much about your first triathlon, it will be fun.

Yes, the rules can be simplified, and not too concerned about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitions: Clothing change Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Changing Clothes During Transition

Started by Roadscholar
Views: 8477 Posts: 12

2010-04-21 10:30 AM Baowolf

transitions/clothes

Started by nward
Views: 784 Posts: 4

2009-06-27 6:17 AM daisymouse

Transitions for HIM, clothing and such

Started by ZekeB
Views: 1657 Posts: 18

2008-03-03 6:56 PM Machiavelo

Triathlon clothing changes - help!

Started by Forty Six and Two
Views: 933 Posts: 7

2006-04-25 4:57 PM Dlaxman31

Transitions/Clothing

Started by jfuell
Views: 1301 Posts: 12

2004-06-04 1:48 PM tmwelshy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.