General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Radical Orchidectomy (Complete Testicle Removal) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-22 6:15 AM

Subject: Radical Orchidectomy (Complete Testicle Removal)
I'm hooked on Triathlon and have been for a while. In December 2014 I switched from road biking and road running to my winter training schedule of off road MTB and trail running. After a 40k MTB and 15k trail run I discovered a swelling in my left testicle. After a visit to the GP and a scan at the hospital. I was booked
in for emergency surgery to remove the complete testicle. The good news is I will make a full recovery as the cancer (if any) is low grade and caught extremely early. I'm having post Op complications caused mainly by me trying to rush back to excercise too early. I now have a large haematoma which to complicate matters is now infected. I've stopped excercise completely and have been virtually house bound for 5 weeks now. The doctors tell me it's likely to be a further 2 months before I make a full enough recovery to ride again. So my intended (A) race a 70.3 is out for this season. My questions are these 1. Has anyone else that this procedure? 2. If so what advise can they give? 3. (I know...but) Is there any excercise I can be doing to keep my fitness levels up or at least to stop them reducing further? I would greatly appreciate any help, advice or guidance. As for a guy used to working full time, helping bring up 3 children and training 4 times a week for a 70.3. Sitting around doing virtually nothing is depressing to say the least. Thanks in advance it's greatly appreciated.

2015-02-22 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Radical Orchidectomy (Complete Testicle Removal)
Hi,

Obviously I didn't have this situation but I did go from ironman training, doing an ironman and one week later being booked for a pretty big surgery due to a cancer dx. Yes, depressing to say the least to not be able to exercise since we thrive on it.

My advice.....RECOVER! Let your body heal completely as you will only be postponing your ability to run,bike and swim due to doing damage.

For me, the first thing I was allowed to dowas walk...and boy did I walk! Last thing I was allowed to do was swim....my fav.

Sending you healing vibes and I hope someone here has had the same surgery as you and can give you advice!

You will come back! Enjoy the family

Alicia

Edited by trirun26 2015-02-22 7:03 AM
2015-02-22 7:24 AM
in reply to: #5095156

Subject: RE: Radical Orchidectomy (Complete Testicle Removal)
Alicia

I can feel the healing vibes already!

Thank you for your swift reply to my post. Just hearing from another triathalete who has had a different experience but understands what I'm going through has put a HUGE SMILE on my face.

I'm finding the mental/emotional experience harder than the physical at the moment.

But is that what brings us back stronger when we return to triathlon. I fully believe its all about mental strength.

Thank you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Radical Orchidectomy (Complete Testicle Removal) Rss Feed