BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-26 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)
The few sunny 40ish days I've ridden in, I wore tights, long sleeve underlayer, fleece vest, windjacket, balaclava & full gloves.

Generally, my butt would be inside on the trainer.

2015-03-26 6:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by glfprncs I have toe warmers & a combo cycling jacket/vest. Coworker is loaning me a wool cycling jersey (zip ip). Go with the wool or the wwindjacket?

Depends on your tolerance to cold and how hard you are going to push yourself.  40 is pretty chilly in my book for being on a bike.

Depending on the day, you might also want some full-finger gloves.  You won't need your fingers for running but you will in T2.  If they're numb from the cold, changing your shoes will be tough and you might end up stuck in your helmet because you can't unfasten it.  (Okay maybe not getting stuck in your helmet, but I'll bet it's happened to somebody. )

Good point.  Full finger gloves -- mtb gloves would be fine for 12 miles -- wouldn't be a bad plan.  Also, something to cover your ears like this

Pearl Izumi earband

http://www.rei.com/product/837209/pearl-izumi-thermal-headband

I actually think that either jacket will be fine.  You'll warm up after a few miles of riding.  I'd probably go with the wool jacket myself.  I much prefer something breathable.  

FWIW, this is what I wear in the 40-45 range for bike only.  Tights over bike shorts, LS T, Novara jacket, full fingered gloves.  So I'd probably suck it up and just put on a jacket and gloves and probably some kind or ear covering?  It looks like it will warm up fairly rapidly.  What time is does it start?

2015-03-26 6:18 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

All in, I swam hard but steady (didn't blow up in the first 50, as I'd done on this course previously).  Biked hard, but steady (very few spikes, close to FTP).  Ben and Matt could probably hold a higher percentage of their calculated FTP, but this was what I could put down on the day.  Ran well and consistently at my 10k pace, but felt again like I would die if the course had been 3.4000000001 miles long.

So, without having set it up that way, "What Ben said" worked for me in that sprint.

Remember to have fun (even if it feels like something very different DURING the race)!

Matt

The running joke here is that I treat every bike split like a FTP test.  It's not far from true, as I'm aiming for .95-100% FTP on most TTs or short course (sprint and Oly) bike legs.  I'd like to aim just a hair over FTP for a 20k, but it's hard for me to do.  I need more VO2 work, which is my focus right now.

Think I've only matched or beaten 95% twice for a sprint. I should be able to, but also haven't really keyed in on a sprint and seem to find ones with longer bike sections.

I am always frustrated at not being able to go much harder in a sprint tri than an Olympic, but after talking with a high level coach, it's apparently a common problem with triathletes.  We don't have the top end that pure roadies do.

Was that a general statement or more specific? I can see in general, but neither of us really go easy on the hard workouts. I keep ending up a fair amount short of 2 x 20's or other even bigger intervals. I think some of it has to do with being in the tri position vs upright and the familiarity with it. I might also subconsciously hold back a little more in the race knowing I still have to run.

2015-03-26 6:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by glfprncs I have toe warmers & a combo cycling jacket/vest. Coworker is loaning me a wool cycling jersey (zip ip). Go with the wool or the wwindjacket?

Depends on your tolerance to cold and how hard you are going to push yourself.  40 is pretty chilly in my book for being on a bike.

Depending on the day, you might also want some full-finger gloves.  You won't need your fingers for running but you will in T2.  If they're numb from the cold, changing your shoes will be tough and you might end up stuck in your helmet because you can't unfasten it.  (Okay maybe not getting stuck in your helmet, but I'll bet it's happened to somebody. )

Good point.  Full finger gloves -- mtb gloves would be fine for 12 miles -- wouldn't be a bad plan.  Also, something to cover your ears like this

Pearl Izumi earband

http://www.rei.com/product/837209/pearl-izumi-thermal-headband

I actually think that either jacket will be fine.  You'll warm up after a few miles of riding.  I'd probably go with the wool jacket myself.  I much prefer something breathable.  

FWIW, this is what I wear in the 40-45 range for bike only.  Tights over bike shorts, LS T, Novara jacket, full fingered gloves.  So I'd probably suck it up and just put on a jacket and gloves and probably some kind or ear covering?  It looks like it will warm up fairly rapidly.  What time is does it start?

At 40 I think you definitely want some full finger gloves. I have a pair of Novara from REI that did well. Not much insulation, but a lot of wind blocking. Something to remember is that because this is a race you're likely to be putting out a lot more heat than a normal training ride. I can get away with a lot less than others due to the stronger power output, but Janyne's thinking is about what I've seen others do. I've never needed tights or a jacket, favoring a fairly snug fitting long sleeve when something was needed.

How much hill are we talking about anyway? Trending just somewhat down, big down then up, lots of intermediate with a trend down going out? A late season race last year had a several mile hill just a couple miles in, but it was uphill out and down back. I was only 10-13 mph or so going up so plenty of time to get out of the swim chill without wind before the 40+ mph descent on the way back. Some trending hills might only be a couple mph difference from the average.

2015-03-26 6:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

What do you normally wear for a 40 degree ride?  

I don't ride below about 55.  The coldest race I ever did was Boise 70.3 in 2012.  It was so cold they shortened the bike to 14 miles and some of the pros rode in their wetsuits.  I wore thin compression socks under my wetsuit and a cycling jersey.  It wasn't too bad. I think temps were around 40 but it was windy and raining.  Coming out of T1

hahaha!  I didn't mean you, Steve, I meant Nancy!  So Nancy, what do you normally wear on the bike in the winter?  

Since I don't always pick up on social cues, does this mean you will or will not be referring to Steve as "Nancy"?

2015-03-26 6:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Also, speaking of prioritization...

As you all know I have more or less dedicated the next 6 months or so to mountain/trail running. So, I have used that as a filter for making decisions.

Anyway, a big track meet is coming up this weekend. My coach called me to ask me to race. He framed it at first as, "You probably aren't 100% recovered from your half marathon a few weeks ago. Perhaps you might want to try something shorter"

After googling "how to steeplechase" I quickly responded that I didn't really want to compete in the meet (I have a trail 10K) unless maybe I could try the steeplechase  He quickly killed that dream stating that "enough people with a lot of experience have some major issues/injuries." and that I "should probably at least have a technique session before entering a race"

Pssssshhhhhh. Whaaaateeeveerrrrr.

So then he goes in for the kill saying, "Well, you could always run the 10,000. You DO have a title to defend"

That was cold! 

I did, however, manage to say no. At this point, I really do think the trail 10K is a better fit for my overall plan. Not to mention a little less pressure and a lot more fun. But it wasn't exactly easy to keep that exact perspective...

That is a cool photo but I bet the aftermath wasn't too pretty.

Good on you for going with your heart and sticking to your plan and not letting others adjust it with their ideas on what you should do.

2015-03-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Just thought I would let you all know I got a bit assertive with the auditors yesterday and won my argument and I now have in my possession my much sort after audit report.
2015-03-26 6:43 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK Just thought I would let you all know I got a bit assertive with the auditors yesterday and won my argument and I now have in my possession my much sort after audit report.

Nice!

2015-03-26 7:00 PM
in reply to: #5103880

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Stacey - that's awesome! Good on you for arguing and winning. .

As for cold weather racing, the last sprint I did was 38-40 at setup (actually was that the last 2 times I raced it) and 45-48 at the bike start. Sunny, but clear and cold. Wore my one peice trisuit only. I was COLD for 2-3 miles which were flat with some descents, then ok and finally felt fine (especially after the first real climb). Some gloves that I could pull on when I got settled on the ride would have been nice, for sure, but I would have ended up too hot with more than that on (dried quickly in the wind from riding).

In the end, though, what really matters is your own cold tolerance and how it affects your performance (and how much you want to trade off for comfort in this particular race), IMO. I hate being cold now, but I'll race fairly cold (mid-40's in a trisuit) as the trade for performance is a good one for me. Now, for an event I'm completing and not racing? I'd have a long sleeve cycling jersey ready in t1 and pull it on, along with gloves (and maaaaybe even socks). But that's just me!
2015-03-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #5103901

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Race starts at 8. Temps between 8-10 a.m. are projected to be 40-44F. Short pool swim (long enough to get warmed up & wet). Ft. Gordon is where we go to ride hills. First 5 miles will be downhill and fast. Next 7 miles will be 90% climbing, some in my granny gear.

I've got gloves, I have something I can put over my ears. I can't run w/o socks, so I may put them on in T1.
2015-03-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

All in, I swam hard but steady (didn't blow up in the first 50, as I'd done on this course previously).  Biked hard, but steady (very few spikes, close to FTP).  Ben and Matt could probably hold a higher percentage of their calculated FTP, but this was what I could put down on the day.  Ran well and consistently at my 10k pace, but felt again like I would die if the course had been 3.4000000001 miles long.

So, without having set it up that way, "What Ben said" worked for me in that sprint.

Remember to have fun (even if it feels like something very different DURING the race)!

Matt

The running joke here is that I treat every bike split like a FTP test.  It's not far from true, as I'm aiming for .95-100% FTP on most TTs or short course (sprint and Oly) bike legs.  I'd like to aim just a hair over FTP for a 20k, but it's hard for me to do.  I need more VO2 work, which is my focus right now.

Think I've only matched or beaten 95% twice for a sprint. I should be able to, but also haven't really keyed in on a sprint and seem to find ones with longer bike sections.

I am always frustrated at not being able to go much harder in a sprint tri than an Olympic, but after talking with a high level coach, it's apparently a common problem with triathletes.  We don't have the top end that pure roadies do.

Was that a general statement or more specific? I can see in general, but neither of us really go easy on the hard workouts. I keep ending up a fair amount short of 2 x 20's or other even bigger intervals. I think some of it has to do with being in the tri position vs upright and the familiarity with it. I might also subconsciously hold back a little more in the race knowing I still have to run.

That was more in general. There are a lot of triathletes that can hold 22-23 for a while but pushing 24+ smashes them. These kind of riders usually have really flat best effort curves. ETA: Speed of course is arbitrary, but for my numbers I'm assuming a flat to rolling course.

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-26 9:32 PM

2015-03-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Matt

That was more in general. There are a lot of triathletes that can hold 22-23 for a while but pushing 24+ smashes them. These kind of riders usually have really flat best effort curves. ETA: Speed of course is arbitrary, but for my numbers I'm assuming a flat to rolling course.

Do you have that phrased in terms of power? Since you're using power now it'd be doing yourself a favor to do so.

2015-03-27 11:19 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Race starts at 8. Temps between 8-10 a.m. are projected to be 40-44F. Short pool swim (long enough to get warmed up & wet). Ft. Gordon is where we go to ride hills. First 5 miles will be downhill and fast. Next 7 miles will be 90% climbing, some in my granny gear. I've got gloves, I have something I can put over my ears. I can't run w/o socks, so I may put them on in T1.

My 2 cents: I did a rainy, cold (~45) Olympic + a little extra (relatively hilly, none brutal) with a regular tri suit (2 piece), arm warmers, socks, and a wind vest for the bike, removed vest and threw on a tech tee for the run (mainly because the vest was soaked and it stopped raining just before the run).  I'd be a little concerned about wearing the wool jacket, then totally overheating during the 7 miles of climbing, but then again I sweat like it's my job.

2015-03-27 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK Just thought I would let you all know I got a bit assertive with the auditors yesterday and won my argument and I now have in my possession my much sort after audit report.

Glad you got through that Stacey.  I hope it allows you to catch your breath a bit.

I've been dealing with financial auditors and state/federal healthcare auditors for 25 years and some of them can be a real nightmare.  I think they are trained to think in very black and white terms which is why they have a problem dealing with the real world which even in accounting/finance can often be grey.  It's odd now because most of them are the same age as my older kids and they think they know it all. 

2015-03-27 11:53 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Does anyone else hate running in the wind?  I don't mind rain, dark, snow, cold but oh how I hate running in the wind.  Weather forecast for start time of my race tomorrow is wind of 23 mph, ugghh.  Fortunately it will be primarily a crosswind (I hope).  I hate wind!!!

I also learned yesterday that tomatos are fruit not vegetables.  It kind of rocked my world.  All this time I thought I was at least getting some vegetables via ketchup.  I now feel so unhealthy.

2015-03-27 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Does anyone else hate running in the wind?  I don't mind rain, dark, snow, cold but oh how I hate running in the wind.  Weather forecast for start time of my race tomorrow is wind of 23 mph, ugghh.  Fortunately it will be primarily a crosswind (I hope).  I hate wind!!!

I also learned yesterday that tomatos are fruit not vegetables.  It kind of rocked my world.  All this time I thought I was at least getting some vegetables via ketchup.  I now feel so unhealthy.

I'm with ya! Chris encourages us (me) to think of it as a training partner but much over 15mph and I am headed inside!

2015-03-27 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It is a smart man that knows a tomato is a fruit.  A smarter man knows not to put it in fruit salad 

2015-03-27 12:28 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

March 28-29
Adrienne - Dash Point 10K trail run on Saturday
Jetson - No Label Triathlon on Saturday
Nancy - Dare to Tri sprint on Saturday
Judi - Monument Ave 10K  on Saturday
Steve - Yakima River Canyon Marathon (B) on Saturday
Chris - Venice Young Professionals 5k on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - Chikungunya (DL veteran!)
Jen - GI woes
Monica - under the weather
Tom - under the weather

March 31 is Salty's birthday
April 2 is Jetson's birthday

2015-03-27 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

March 28-29

Disabled List
Jen - GI woes
Tom - under the weather

Wow! We are busy this weekend! Way to represent!!! GO RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't go DLers, heal heal heal

Salty and Jetson advanced Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-03-27 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

It is a smart man that knows a tomato is a fruit.  A smarter man knows not to put it in fruit salad 

Didyouknow... rhubarb is a vegetable? Olives, butternut squash and cucumbers are fruit? Peppers are also a fruit so if you make your salsa with tomato and peppers it is a fruit salad

2015-03-27 12:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!

March 28-29

Disabled List
Jen - GI woes
Tom - under the weather

Feel better Yanti, Jen, Monica, and Tom.

Race well, those that are racing!

Happy B-Day!!!!!

ETA: This race is being done as a walk by TW and by the young lady that I did the Freedom Swim with last year. She is woking on her personal trainer cert. Cool stuff.

Edited by cdban66 2015-03-27 12:55 PM

2015-03-27 1:52 PM

User image

Seattle

I would much prefer running in the wind than biking in the wind!

It's a good time to think about working with your competitors if it's a headwind. 

2015-03-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

My team did a tour of the Brooks Running Headquarters today.

I've been in there a lot as a lab rat but it was really cool to check it out from a sustainability standpoint. We checked out all of the water and energy systems. It uses a hydronic heating and cooling system. 

It's not only LEED Platinum certified but also part of the living building challenge. It's got this art installation in the lobby that is a series of metal flowers. When the energy systems are running efficiently and less is consumed, the flowers open up. If they are using a particularly high load, the flowers "wilt." A very cool, interactive piece. 

2015-03-27 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!

March 28-29

Disabled List
Jen - GI woes
Tom - under the weather

Feel better Yanti, Jen, Monica, and Tom.

Race well, those that are racing!

Happy B-Day!!!!!

ETA: This race is being done as a walk by TW and by the young lady that I did the Freedom Swim with last year. She is woking on her personal trainer cert. Cool stuff.

Way to get others to participate!

Speaking of which, how's that going with your church, Tom?

2015-03-27 2:10 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

March 28-29

Disabled List
Jen - GI woes
Tom - under the weather

Lots of racing manatees this week, yay!!!  And two triathlons on the slate, which means tri season is starting for the northern hemisphere!   Kick some bootay in your races and have fun!

Get better, DLers, please.

Happy early birthdays, Salty and Sean!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15312 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27828 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11777 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66035 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54343 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.