BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-27 2:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

March 28-29
Adrienne - Dash Point 10K trail run on Saturday
Jetson - No Label Triathlon on Saturday
Nancy - Dare to Tri sprint on Saturday
Judi - Monument Ave 10K  on Saturday
Steve - Yakima River Canyon Marathon (B) on Saturday
Chris - Venice Young Professionals 5k on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - Chikungunya (DL veteran!)
Jen - GI woes
Monica - under the weather
Tom - under the weather

March 31 is Salty's birthday
April 2 is Jetson's birthday

WOOT WOOT!!!   I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk, but instead of the phone book, I'm yelling, "Tri season is here!  Tri season is here!"

Race well, my pod-mates.

Get well my under-the-water... errr... under-the-weather pod-mates.

Many happy returns (and age-ups) to Jetson and Salty.

**For me** - running in the wind > biking in the wind > swimming (OWS) in the wind.  At least if it's a very heavy wind...  That said, I like running best with a light breeze and biking/swimming with none (unless there's a Strava segment on the route - then I like me a HONKIN' tailwind - or if I'm body surfing!).

Matt

2015-03-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My team did a tour of the Brooks Running Headquarters today.

I've been in there a lot as a lab rat but it was really cool to check it out from a sustainability standpoint. We checked out all of the water and energy systems. It uses a hydronic heating and cooling system. 

It's not only LEED Platinum certified but also part of the living building challenge. It's got this art installation in the lobby that is a series of metal flowers. When the energy systems are running efficiently and less is consumed, the flowers open up. If they are using a particularly high load, the flowers "wilt." A very cool, interactive piece

Very cool, indeed!  That sounds awesome - would love to see that!

2015-03-27 2:56 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Does anyone else hate running in the wind?  I don't mind rain, dark, snow, cold but oh how I hate running in the wind.  Weather forecast for start time of my race tomorrow is wind of 23 mph, ugghh.  Fortunately it will be primarily a crosswind (I hope).  I hate wind!!!

I also learned yesterday that tomatos are fruit not vegetables.  It kind of rocked my world.  All this time I thought I was at least getting some vegetables via ketchup.  I now feel so unhealthy.

I would much prefer running in the wind than biking in the wind!

It's a good time to think about working with your competitors if it's a headwind. 

Yeah, running in the wind is notable less difficult, but not necessarily easy. A light breeze is nice, but this is certainly more than that! have had some where a few of us had trouble running with the side wind as we'd end up tripping some.

2015-03-27 2:58 PM

User image

Seattle

GO RACERS!

Glad to see so many. And a lot of diversity!

Chris,  you are a young professional, eh?

2015-03-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Does anyone else hate running in the wind?  I don't mind rain, dark, snow, cold but oh how I hate running in the wind.  Weather forecast for start time of my race tomorrow is wind of 23 mph, ugghh.  Fortunately it will be primarily a crosswind (I hope).  I hate wind!!!

I also learned yesterday that tomatos are fruit not vegetables.  It kind of rocked my world.  All this time I thought I was at least getting some vegetables via ketchup.  I now feel so unhealthy.

It's a good time to think about working with your competitors if it's a headwind. 

Yeah, running in the wind is notable less difficult, but not necessarily easy. A light breeze is nice, but this is certainly more than that! have had some where a few of us had trouble running with the side wind as we'd end up tripping some.

For sure. My coach gave us the exact numbers (he's a MIT guy) in terms of an equation. Obviously the faster you are running, the higher resistance.

We did this interesting drill called dog and flea or something. A faster guy/gal would take off and then a chase pack would follow. The pack would rotate leaders, working together to close the gap. It was really eye opening. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-03-27 3:00 PM
2015-03-27 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

GO RACERS!

Glad to see so many. And a lot of diversity!

Chris,  you are a young professional, eh?

Not so much. DD2 is the member chair for the Young Professionals in Venice, so I was roped in. It was either run or volunteer.

2015-03-27 4:12 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yikes, I just checked back on the weather and realized 23 mph is sustained with gusts of 35.  Ugghh.  Oh well.

Good luck everyone with your races this weekend.  Race smart and be safe.

2015-03-27 4:13 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I've been in there a lot as a lab rat but it was really cool to check it out from a sustainability standpoint. We checked out all of the water and energy systems. It uses a hydronic heating and cooling system. 

It's not only LEED Platinum certified but also part of the living building challenge. It's got this art installation in the lobby that is a series of metal flowers. When the energy systems are running efficiently and less is consumed, the flowers open up. If they are using a particularly high load, the flowers "wilt." A very cool, interactive piece

Check out my instagram below, I posted a pic. (You don't have to have an instagram account to look)

2015-03-27 4:29 PM

User image

Seattle

Oh and early next week I will be off the grid-ish for a few days for my golden birthday. It should be an adventure. So, not to overly plug my instagram but it's the best way to follow what I am up to. This one's gonna be epppppiiiiiccccc

2015-03-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Yikes, I just checked back on the weather and realized 23 mph is sustained with gusts of 35.  Ugghh.  Oh well.

Good luck everyone with your races this weekend.  Race smart and be safe.

Keep what you're wearing tight when it's against you. Loosen up and use the sail when it's behind you. 

2015-03-27 4:49 PM

Master
Northern IL

For sure. My coach gave us the exact numbers (he's a MIT guy) in terms of an equation. Obviously the faster you are running, the higher resistance.

We did this interesting drill called dog and flea or something. A faster guy/gal would take off and then a chase pack would follow. The pack would rotate leaders, working together to close the gap. It was really eye opening. 

Yeah, that's interesting how you could feel it there. In a stiff wind for sure, but in calm conditions too. Supporting your own body weight eats up a lot of the power generated, but certainly not all of it.

2015-03-27 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Check out my instagram below, I posted a pic. (You don't have to have an instagram account to look)

Awesome!  Thanks - those are wild.

I need to join the early part of the decade and start actually using my instagram acct and following people other than just my kids.  Sheesh...

2015-03-27 6:06 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Yeah, that's interesting how you could feel it there. In a stiff wind for sure, but in calm conditions too. Supporting your own body weight eats up a lot of the power generated, but certainly not all of it.

This was in REALLY windy conditions. So, yeah, we could feel it! 

2015-03-27 8:25 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Racing Manatees!

March 28-29

Disabled List
Jen - GI woes
Tom - under the weather

Let's do this racers!!!

Heal up DLers!!

I definitely have nervous jitters going on right now. Love it!
2015-03-27 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees!

March 28-29

Disabled List
Jen - GI woes
Tom - under the weather

Lots of racers.  Awesome!  Good luck, all!

DL'ers, you can get out of this!

Happy early birthday, Salty and Jetson!

2015-03-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

This Manatee skipped out on the race.  The exhaustion of my commuting days and my cramped up quads kept me fast asleep this morning.  I still have to un 10-12 miles today though.

2015-03-28 10:10 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Melon Presser

GO SALTY!!!
GO JETSON!!!
GO GOLFIE!!!
Keep keepin' it real and taking care of ya' self, St. Jude
GO POPS!!!
GO DUB6!!!

Disabled List
Dear Disabled List Loonies: please get off this train at the next stop. Thank you!

I'm pretty much good, joints still a bit achy, still very tired on some days but not that bone-deep fatigue.

2015-03-28 10:44 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Happy racing, Racers!Recover. Recover. Recover, DLers.
2015-03-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Katy, Texas
Checking in. Race went very well. I think I left some time on the bike course and maybe the run but overall I can't complain. Finished 12th overall and 4th in my age group. Was hoping for top 10 & top 3 but oh well. It was fun when it was over but I definitely thought to myself halfway through the run, "why am I doing this to myself?" Lol
2015-03-28 2:21 PM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Survived this morning's very cold T1. Ended up wearing a windbreaker, full gloves, and full shoe covers and was actually pretty comfortable. Lots of headwind on the bike (the entire uphill section was into the wind), but am pleased overall. Best tri run I've had to date. Left considerable time in transition, but finished 3rd AG (30 sec behind 2nd and 2:30 behind 1st).
2015-03-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by glfprncs

Survived this morning's very cold T1. Ended up wearing a windbreaker, full gloves, and full shoe covers and was actually pretty comfortable. Lots of headwind on the bike (the entire uphill section was into the wind), but am pleased overall. Best tri run I've had to date. Left considerable time in transition, but finished 3rd AG (30 sec behind 2nd and 2:30 behind 1st).

Awesome! On the podium!!! Huge congrats!!!

2015-03-28 5:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
I left not an ounce on the course. Actually, I was running on fumes. My personal goal was to taken down the course record. I and 2 other woman all did. I'm super happy with my performance. I think maybe if I'm feeling better I have another minute to shave off but there are plenty of races. I ended up 9th overall and 3rd woman I believe. I think 1 in AG. I was only a little under 2 minutes back from my teammate who's a 1:16 half marathonner. So, definitely able to close the gap a little in the woods. My number one accomplishment was not falling down the stairs. Yes, there were a few sets of steep mossy wood steps on course. Gotta love trail running!

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-03-28 5:05 PM
2015-03-28 5:03 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by glfprncs Survived this morning's very cold T1. Ended up wearing a windbreaker, full gloves, and full shoe covers and was actually pretty comfortable. Lots of headwind on the bike (the entire uphill section was into the wind), but am pleased overall. Best tri run I've had to date. Left considerable time in transition, but finished 3rd AG (30 sec behind 2nd and 2:30 behind 1st).

Fantastic!  Congrats on a great race - very impressive.  Glad the sartorial choices also worked out.  

Matt

2015-03-28 5:04 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Checking in. Race went very well. I think I left some time on the bike course and maybe the run but overall I can't complain. Finished 12th overall and 4th in my age group. Was hoping for top 10 & top 3 but oh well. It was fun when it was over but I definitely thought to myself halfway through the run, "why am I doing this to myself?" Lol

That's great!  Terrific finish for any race, but for a first?  Awesome.

Did you learn a bit more about pacing from it?

Oh, and if you didn't feel like that on the run, then it wasn't a race.  

Matt

2015-03-28 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed I left not an ounce on the course. Actually, I was running on fumes. My personal goal was to taken down the course record. I and 2 other woman all did. I'm super happy with my performance. I think maybe if I'm feeling better I have another minute to shave off but there are plenty of races. I ended up 9th overall and 3rd woman I believe. I think 1 in AG. I was only a little under 2 minutes back from my teammate who's a 1:16 half marathonner. So, definitely able to close the gap a little in the woods. My number one accomplishmentioned was not falling down the stairs. Yes, there were a few sets of steep mossy wood steps on course. Gotta love trail running!

Yikes - that sounds like a challenging course!  Super impressive run - course record!  Suh-weeeeeet!!!

How do you feel after, given you left it all out there?  Will you adjust your next week's plan at all?

Matt

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15313 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27831 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11778 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66035 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54348 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.