BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-04-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

I need a new floor bike pump.  Anybody really like theirs?  If so, what kind do you have??

2015-04-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

So what do you all think about having fast food biscuits (kfc, cfa...) on race morning? One of my best long runs was the morning that I had left-over home made biscuits w/ honey befor my run.  My race is a traveling race so I can't make them. So buy fast food or stick with toast?

BTW, race profile =

Wow, glad you're running left to right!! Although, your quads will probably think otherwise!

The one time I ate something I never ate before a run, I was a very sad marathoner!! But this is a biscuit to biscuit exchange, so you'd probably be ok.  Still, if you have any concerns, why risk it??  

I think I've been very helpful with my go ahead, but don't do it advice 

I've done most of my long runs down hill so the legs are used to it. Thanks for the helpful input

As for the floor pump. They are the devil. I always use CO2 or have DH fill the tires for me. There's my helpful advice.

2015-04-24 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Sounds great Steve - baby that Achilles though! Mary - you may be slower than her but YOU are old enough to go out for a beer after Quiet day 'round the pod today. Everyone must be gearing up for the weekend. WOOT!

Yeah yeah, don't rub it in.  I'm old enough to be her grandmother!!

Yes, but you don't have to deal with puberty and junior high

I can't tell you grateful I am to not have to deal with that!!!!!

With kids in 5th, 7th and 9th grades, I get to re-experience it vicariously.  Wow...

Spent the last few hours trying to find a new place to stay for this weekend's race.  The woman who rented us the condo called and said that she never got a deposit and so rented the place out.  When The Better Half pointed out that the transaction was verified on PayPal, condo-beyotch allowed that "well-look-at-that!" she had indeed received it but triple booked the unit.  Oops.  Sorry. 

So, I'm now going to be ensconced in a room at least for Saturday night fairly close by (last room available within miles, it seems).  So much for a family weekend in Galveston (doh!), but I guess that means I can just focus on the race.  Not what I was shootin' for, mind you, but ok in the end (as the fam would have had to leave early Sunday anyway to get back for a swim club kickoff party).

Once again, first world problems strike. 

Matt

That stinks!

+1

I hope that you get your deposit back!

2015-04-24 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So what do you all think about having fast food biscuits (kfc, cfa...) on race morning? One of my best long runs was the morning that I had left-over home made biscuits w/ honey befor my run.  My race is a traveling race so I can't make them. So buy fast food or stick with toast?

BTW, race profile =

Wow, glad you're running left to right!! Although, your quads will probably think otherwise!

The one time I ate something I never ate before a run, I was a very sad marathoner!! But this is a biscuit to biscuit exchange, so you'd probably be ok.  Still, if you have any concerns, why risk it??  

I'd try it on a training run first.

2015-04-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

BTW, race profile =

I've done most of my long runs down hill so the legs are used to it. Thanks for the helpful input

As for the floor pump. They are the devil. I always use CO2 or have DH fill the tires for me. There's my helpful advice.

haha!

2015-04-24 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I need a new floor bike pump.  Anybody really like theirs?  If so, what kind do you have??

Why would you need a floor pump?  New shoes?

(Joe Blow Sport II)

2015-04-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

BTW, race profile =

I'd try it on a training run first.

Good point. I could get some tonight to have before my 8 miler tomorrow.

2015-04-24 10:25 AM

User image

BTW, race profile =

Can you make some and bring them with you?

While we're on the subject, what does everyone else eat for breakfast on race day? I used to eat Peanut Butter on a bagel, but I can't eat PB before I swim anymore for some reason. It's fine if I eat it before I bike or run, but not swim. I will be staying in a hotel the night before Ironman Boulder (100 days from today, crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so it has to be something easy. Right now I am eating Trader Joe Cookie Crack, I mean Cookie Butter, on a bagel and that works for short swims, like 4,500 meters or less, but not for longer swims and then a run or bike after the swim. My body also burns through oatmeal and other cereals and I crash within an hour of eating those.

Suggestions?
2015-04-24 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

(Joe Blow Sport II)

Ha!  I'm actually moved on from the kinda thinking about getting back on the bike to the let's start getting the bike in shape phase of my come back to tris! 

2015-04-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

BTW, race profile =

Can you make some and bring them with you? While we're on the subject, what does everyone else eat for breakfast on race day? I used to eat Peanut Butter on a bagel, but I can't eat PB before I swim anymore for some reason. It's fine if I eat it before I bike or run, but not swim. I will be staying in a hotel the night before Ironman Boulder (100 days from today, crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so it has to be something easy. Right now I am eating Trader Joe Cookie Crack, I mean Cookie Butter, on a bagel and that works for short swims, like 4,500 meters or less, but not for longer swims and then a run or bike after the swim. My body also burns through oatmeal and other cereals and I crash within an hour of eating those. Suggestions?

Sorry, I'm in the PB on a bagel with a banana crowd. 

Have you given much consideration to the timing of the food?  If you eat 2 hours before the swim are you better off than if you eat 1 hour before the swim?  Also, have you tried almond butter or other nut butters?  I've heard good things about sunflower seed butter but I haven't tried it.  For an HIM or above, I have experimented with adding an Ensure. Do you fee like it needs to be solid food?

I've done an egg mcmuffin before but only for short stuff.

2015-04-24 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

BTW, race profile =

Can you make some and bring them with you? While we're on the subject, what does everyone else eat for breakfast on race day? I used to eat Peanut Butter on a bagel, but I can't eat PB before I swim anymore for some reason. It's fine if I eat it before I bike or run, but not swim. I will be staying in a hotel the night before Ironman Boulder (100 days from today, crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so it has to be something easy. Right now I am eating Trader Joe Cookie Crack, I mean Cookie Butter, on a bagel and that works for short swims, like 4,500 meters or less, but not for longer swims and then a run or bike after the swim. My body also burns through oatmeal and other cereals and I crash within an hour of eating those. Suggestions?

I generally just have a cin. raisin bagel before my HM, HIM or, when I actually did them, marathons.  Too much food in my stomach is not a good thing!  Can you keep doing what you're doing and then start race nutrition when you get out of the water?  Or add a gel shortly before getting into the water? 

2015-04-24 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

(Joe Blow Sport II)

Ha!  I'm actually moved on from the kinda thinking about getting back on the bike to the let's start getting the bike in shape phase of my come back to tris! 

Sadly, my tri bike has to go back in for adjustments.  It's shifting is super cranky (haha, see what I just did?!).  Kevin said that he'd drop it off today.  Then again, the people working on our house were supposed to be there two hours ago :-(

2015-04-24 10:36 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

BTW, race profile =

Sorry, I'm in the PB on a bagel with a banana crowd. 

Ditto!

As to floor pump - go middle of the road for price with a decent gauge. We have a Pedro's that has lasted for years! Joe Blow is a good choice too.

Just don't go to Sports Authority and buy the $12 model - it won't last.
2015-04-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

GO RACING MANATEES!

Heal up, any gimps!

2015-04-24 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

BTW, race profile =

We will be headed to Ft Collins from a week in Moab so I won't be able to make my own. But if you or Mary want to deliver some at O-stupid-thirty that'd be great! 

2015-04-24 10:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

BTW, race profile =

I'd suggest a couple of better-quality options for biscuits:  Popeye's Chicken has wonderful honey-butter biscuits and the Denver Biscuit Company's biscuits are fantastic.  You'd need to get them the night before and heat them up.  Not sure where you're staying but they're both in my 'hood.  I could get them (and maybe one for myself ) and give them to you if we can connect the day before if you'd like.  Here's a link to the Denver Biscuit Company's website.  The plain biscuits are listed as a side and you can get them with butter and/or honey.

ETA:  I'll be coming up to whoop and holler so I could deliver it at O'Stupid thirty, although I was planning to come a little later.  They won't be warm though. 

Edited by laffinrock 2015-04-24 10:48 AM

2015-04-24 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

==
April 25-26
Erin - Pat's Run on Saturday (Go Mr. Erin too!)
Ann-Marie - Run for the Trees 5k  on Saturday
Adrienne - Run Like the Wind 10K on Sunday
Matt TX- Ironman 70.3 Texas on Sunday
Jonathan TX - Ironman 70.3 Texas on Sunday
Sean - Ironman 70.3 Texas on Sunday
Kate - Capital City Classic 10 Mile Run on Sunday
Melanie - St. Luke's Half Marathon on Sunday
Randee - New Jersey Half Marathon on Sunday (Go Mr Randee too!)
Mary - Cherry Creek Sneak - 5k on Sunday

Disabled List
Jen - migraine and GI
Darren - knee (currently resting it)

Matt MS is getting married this weekend!!!  No more MS Matt after this weekend, we'll have to call him MR Matt!

2015-04-24 10:49 AM

User image

Master

BTW, race profile =

DON'T!!! lol. Taco Bell?? Really, though, fast food biscuits are not like home made...a lot of grease IMO. And I'm not sure fast food "honey" is honey anymore. KFC's wasn't last time we were there.
2015-04-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

BTW, race profile =

I'd suggest a couple of better-quality options for biscuits:  Popeye's Chicken has wonderful honey-butter biscuits and the Denver Biscuit Company's biscuits are fantastic.  You'd need to get them the night before and heat them up.  Not sure where you're staying but they're both in my 'hood.  I could get them (and maybe one for myself ) and give them to you if we can connect the day before if you'd like.  Here's a link to the Denver Biscuit Company's website.  The plain biscuits are listed as a side and you can get them with butter and/or honey.

Oh we are QUITE familiar with DBC!!! Great idea!!! I know theirs won't have a bunch of processed crap in it.  I've not tried Popeye's ever and haven't had KFC in forever.  We might be in Denver on Saturday. My niece is thinking of having her baby shower that day. I'm sure I could talk DH in to DBC and get one to go.

2015-04-24 10:52 AM

User image

Denver, CO

BTW, race profile =

I generally just have a cin. raisin bagel before my HM, HIM or, when I actually did them, marathons.  Too much food in my stomach is not a good thing!  Can you keep doing what you're doing and then start race nutrition when you get out of the water?  Or add a gel shortly before getting into the water? 

I eat a chocolate chip bagel with PB.  I get PB burps for the rest of the race but it's worth it. Then again I've only done sprints so I'm not sure how it'd be for an IM.

I 2nd the idea of trying other nut butters.  Justin's almond butter is really yummy.  Justin's also makes chocolate hazelnut butter, which is way beyond delish!

in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

BTW, race profile =

DON'T!!! lol. Taco Bell?? Really, though, fast food biscuits are not like home made...a lot of grease IMO. And I'm not sure fast food "honey" is honey anymore. KFC's wasn't last time we were there.

This was also my concern.

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

BTW, race profile =

Before my last IM, I feasted on McD's sausage McMuffin and coffee on the way to the start.  I had no issues but that is the kind of stuff my body is used to.

2015-04-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

BTW, race profile =

That's exactly what I was concerned about. Ruined a perfectly good Manatee meetup run.

2015-04-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

BTW, race profile =

I eat a chocolate chip bagel with PB.  I get PB burps for the rest of the race but it's worth it. Then again I've only done sprints so I'm not sure how it'd be for an IM.

I 2nd the idea of trying other nut butters.  Justin's almond butter is really yummy.  Justin's also makes chocolate hazelnut butter, which is way beyond delish!

The Justin's is way closer to nut butter than Nutella is.  I love Nutella but let's face it, it's kissing cousin's with the frosting family.

2015-04-24 11:08 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

==
April 25-26
Erin - Pat's Run on Saturday (Go Mr. Erin too!)
Ann-Marie - Run for the Trees 5k  on Saturday
Adrienne - Run Like the Wind 10K on Sunday
Matt TX- Ironman 70.3 Texas on Sunday
Jonathan TX - Ironman 70.3 Texas on Sunday
Sean - Ironman 70.3 Texas on Sunday
Kate - Capital City Classic 10 Mile Run on Sunday
Melanie - St. Luke's Half Marathon on Sunday
Randee - New Jersey Half Marathon on Sunday (Go Mr Randee too!)
Mary - Cherry Creek Sneak - 5k on Sunday

Disabled List
Jen - migraine and GI
Darren - knee (currently resting it)

Matt MS is getting married this weekend!!!  No more MS Matt after this weekend, we'll have to call him MR Matt!

HOLY SHCMOKIN' MANATEES!!! 10 racers??? And one starting the race of a lifetime. Woohoo!

Jen and Daren, hope the icky issues are working themselves out.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15232 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27652 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11705 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65902 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54089 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.