General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM Training questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-23 11:56 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
Subject: Half IM Training questions
I've only done Oly and sprint distances up to now and have completed 25 or so races (6 last year). Doing the Beach to Battleship Half in Oct and starting with St. Anthony's in April. As my training for the half begins, what are you putting in your water bottles during long rides? What type of fuel do you recommend as runs get longer? Are you carrying water? I haven't been as concerned about it in training for sprints and have just had a bottle of Gatorade and one with water on long training rides. The nutrition for the half is confusing me? What about recovery/after work out nutrition?

HeLLLLLLLP.

Bruce

2015-02-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Half IM Training questions

what are you putting in your water bottles during long rides?

I use a 3 hr concentrated bottle of either EFS or Infinite. Something with calories in it. I then also carry water. How much water depends on how hot it's going to be. I do the calorie drinks so I don't have to rely on solids too much for a 3 hr ride - my personal preference and its what my stomach likes before tackling a run. I'll also have some gels on me.

What type of fuel do you recommend as runs get longer?

For a half distance event training run I typically don't need anything more than one gel and stop at a water fountain (my run route is planned ahead in this instance). 

Are you carrying water?

Come the wamrer summer and early fall months I may need to, but only if I'm going to be running longer than ~45-60 min, depending on how hot it is.

The nutrition for the half is confusing me?

You'll get it with practice?

What about recovery/after work out nutrition? HeLLLLLLLP. Bruce

Something protein based soon after a hard workout is good. Or just do what I do and hit up Chipotle.

2015-02-23 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I almost exclusively use just water in training, even on very long rides then top up energy levels with solids, eg oat/cereal bars (not ideal in a race but much nicer than gels when training). I only use energy drinks (and gels) in the lead up to a big race and then I will use the same brand that will be on offer at the aid stations at the race.

I think it is very easy to get bogged down with the whole nutrition thing. My view is that if you run out of energy in a session, eat/drink more next time.
2015-02-23 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I typically use Nuun or Hammergel Fizz tablets in my water for hyderation on long bikes and runs these days.

Bike rides over 40 or more miles and Runs over 8 miles definitely make sure I have something more than water.

As for fuel, anything with calories works pretty much. I like Powerbars personally, but Chomps, Gu's, etc are good.
Some people take sweet potatoes, candy bars, cookies...

The main thing is to eat stuff that your GI system will tolerate well, and to eat something every 40 or so minutes of the bike/run, with ample hydration.

On the flip side, you don't want to overdo the nutrition/hydration, which can be a negative as well. Balance is key.

Getting more fancy, you might look into Osmo. Lots of my tri friends have been successful with this.

2015-02-23 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
1 gel before the swim. On the bike 2 bottles of Nuun (from my bike) and 1 bottle of water (from the aid station) plus 1 gel every 20-30 minutes (total of 7 last race). On the run its a water at roughly every other aid station and about 3 gels.

I used to drink carbed sports drink along with gels but I found that it really slowed down my digestion. Now that I've switched to non-carb drinks I digest the gels better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half IM Training questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for Half IM question.

Started by Darla1
Views: 2332 Posts: 16

2012-12-27 11:51 AM Darla1

Half IM trianing, questions, workouts, food for thought

Started by newbz
Views: 1159 Posts: 23

2009-07-25 2:47 PM newbz

training for half marathon while training for olympic question

Started by Trigrl
Views: 1232 Posts: 10

2008-05-01 2:51 PM getsome

BT 1/2 IM Training Plan/Heartrate Question

Started by double_a121
Views: 1596 Posts: 2

2005-03-09 4:04 PM sherrick

To race Miami Man Half IM...that is the question (long)

Started by dragoman
Views: 681 Posts: 4

2004-10-06 10:56 PM cdom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.