General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear for a reverse tri w/pool swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-24 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: What to wear for a reverse tri w/pool swim?
I have done a few tri's and have a tri suit I like that has worked well. I am rethinking it however for a tri coming up next month.

First it is a reverse tri because the swim is at a local high school. They figure by doing it in reverse it will spread out the swimmers. Second, this will be my first pool swim tri.

Someone suggested jammers under my tri suit. Not sure how comfortable it will be to run or ride in. Others have suggested tri shorts and a shirt so you can ditch the shirt for the swim.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anyone done a reverse tri and made any changes, wardrobe or otherwise?

2015-02-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: What to wear for a reverse tri w/pool swim?
Since you already have a tri-suit, just wear that and no need for jammers underneath. Swim in the tri-suit. That is what I did for a reverse sprint and it works just fine.

The first couple laps in the pool though after biking hard is quite an experience ! You know that dead leg feeling going into the run? Well that is what my shoulders and arms felt like jumping in the water. Oh yah and the HR was a little jacked. Other than that, it is a great way to finish a race.
2015-02-24 9:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

The jammers idea is someone out thinking themself. I'd just go with the tri suit. Keep it simple. Some people can't stand swimming with any type of top, so might like the shorts & top to take off for the swim. But that is only if it can be very quickly removed. These tend to be really short swims, so if there is any doubt of that removal time just swim with it. If it does affect the swim that much, then it's probably a poor fitting top.

2015-02-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I would just go with a 2 piece tri shorts and top myself &, ditch the top for the swim and swim in the tri shorts. a onesie would work ok too they are usually tight enough as to not create too much drag in the water. I know my tri tops are pretty snug and don't catch a lot of water so I could swim with it on as well but for what it takes to get rid of it I would probably shed it.
2015-02-24 10:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by brigby1

The jammers idea is someone out thinking themself. I'd just go with the tri suit. Keep it simple. Some people can't stand swimming with any type of top, so might like the shorts & top to take off for the swim. But that is only if it can be very quickly removed. These tend to be really short swims, so if there is any doubt of that removal time just swim with it. If it does affect the swim that much, then it's probably a poor fitting top.

The swim is 800 yards in a 16 lane, 25 yards pool. You swim up and back in the first lane then move to the next lane and repeat 16 times.

I swim with a tri suit now so I guess no reason to change. Just curious since I have never done a reverse.
2015-02-24 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

A 16 lane pool is unusual. Most around here are 6 or 8. The 8 lane would not be bad you would go thru 2 times.

My son did a pool tri he said the flip turns were odd when he had to go under the ropes. I would practice those.

edit : If the pool is also a 50 meter pool 16 lanes would make sense. I think a meter pool can end up being 20 plus lanes when you swim the width. I think most 50m pools are 25y wide for this very purpose.

Edited by Sidney Porter 2015-02-24 3:59 PM

2015-02-24 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Tri Suit should work just fine. Depending on the size of the race, the pack should be fairly spread out by the time you hit the water. It's also nice if the weather is cooler, since you aren't riding or running while soaking wet. Don't forget to take off your race belt if you are wearing one. I've done a couple of reverse tris and both times, I've managed to leave my race belt and number on. It tends to cause a bit of extra drag in the water! Have fun!
2015-02-24 8:58 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

edit : If the pool is also a 50 meter pool 16 lanes would make sense. I think a meter pool can end up being 20 plus lanes when you swim the width. I think most 50m pools are 25y wide for this very purpose.

Exactly the case. 25 yards by 50 meters with 16 lanes in the short course direction.

The short race is just one lap in each lane for a 400 yard swim. I am doing the longer race which is two laps in each lane for 800 yards. This will cut the traffic in the pool down even more with most everyone from the short race already having cleared the pool by the time the long course racers hit the water.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear for a reverse tri w/pool swim? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pool swim and what to wear

Started by cheavrin
Views: 855 Posts: 4

2012-02-06 3:50 PM MKirk

What to wear for a reverse sprint triathlon?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 2395 Posts: 9

2011-03-26 4:57 PM tjh

Estimating swim time for pool swim tri

Started by cstoulil
Views: 2076 Posts: 16

2011-03-15 1:30 AM tri808

what to wear, sprint tri, swim is in a pool

Started by saluki
Views: 2333 Posts: 13

2010-03-29 2:50 PM DMarkSwan

Wearing Tri tops on the swim

Started by ScottyBoy
Views: 1240 Posts: 12

2008-10-03 9:35 PM nxm165
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 11, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?

date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
Reverse Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.