General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad eating & overweight (my 'going public' disclosure) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2015-02-25 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Bad eating & overweight (my 'going public' disclosure)

This is my 'going public' disclosure!

10 days ago the family was at a state swim meet for the kids, we sat the whole weekend and snacked and ate & drank hardy in the evenings with other families.  The week before that I was a conference and did not eat or drink well at all.  In fact looking back I've have been horrible since Thanksgiving when I was in the low 180's. I was miserable and decided that I had to lose weight to get ready for the June A-race.  When we got back home I weighed myself, ugh, 20 lbs over my ideal race weight of 172, cloths are ill fitting and have been having foot issues.  I never tracked calories before but knew I needed to know what I was consuming as I had no idea other than was eating too much at a sitting, junk food snacking, drinking too much beer and not eating enough good stuff. 

Did some research and downloaded the MyFitnessPal app, like the interface and barcode scanning, love the reminders. Set a goal of 15lbs in 15 weeks. So far I've lost 5 lbs in 10 days, not one piece of junk food or beer has been consumed, and water consumption is where it should be. Energy levels are much higher now and not bloated anymore.

Kids (13 & 15) are laughing at me because I'm scanning everything, but my daughter has become curious about my new eating habits.  My wife (runner) rolls her eyes yet complains about her "pesky roll".  Need to look to see if there is a way to share the foods I logged as we all eat about the same things and get her on-board with it.

Anyway there it is and 172 here I come!

2015-02-25 11:52 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Bad eating & overweight (my 'going public' disclosure)

Way to go!

I left out that whole part of my public declaration but I'm toting around an extra 20 lbs too.

2015-02-25 12:07 PM

User image

I am trying to lose about 15 lbs myself before Savageman. I lost the first 5, but I always overeat in the harshest part of winter. My body does not understand that it doesn't need to stock up an extra layer of fat to make it til spring. I have decided that rather than beat myself up for failure, I will just hold steady for the next month or so, then start dieting again.
2015-02-25 12:22 PM

User image

Temple, Texas
Great job! That stuff works.. even if you feel silly doing it. I used LoseIt to lose a lot of my weight.. 100 lbs a few years ago. Just keep at it, and you'll get it. After a while, you start to generally 'know' how much you're eating.. so it becomes unnecessary... but when you have those days, weeks, even months.. it makes you feel in control again and that's the best way to get back on track.
2015-02-25 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I know exactly where you're coming from. I put on over 20 after IMWI, and 30lbs from my race weight (which was still 10 too heavy). Peeling it off has been fits and starts. Nothing makes one feel quite like Sisyphus as trying to lose weight.
2015-02-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Denver, CO

I lost about 20 lbs. last year when I was training for my first tris and kept it off when I started training for a HM in the Fall.  Then I got injured and have found that I've gotten used to the eating habits I had when I was active (mostly a bit too much snacking and bigger portions).  The weight is starting to creep back on, not a lot, but my clothes are definitely getting a bit tighter.  I'm really hoping I can get active again soon so I can drop the guilt as well as the pounds, or at least tone up so the pounds are muscle instead of fat.

2015-02-25 1:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've been around while, although not as long as you, and have also reached this point.   I really want to be good at my sports, and have trained pretty consistently, but let the weight creep creep creep.  I got into triathlon about 8 (wtf?) years ago as part of a weight loss journey, but I only stayed "light" for about 2 years.  Since then it's been creeping back up and I am nearly to the point, on the scale, of where I started.  I am definitely fitter and and stronger, and thus smaller, but still very displeased. I know how much this is hurting my running, in particular.   So, here we go again.

I've logged food off and on for years, but I am really serious about it now. I prefer My Plate by Livestrong, but whatever works is great.  I used to get by with simply working out more, but I think age has not been helping.  I am now also making incremental changes to my eating choices so that I can have more food with fewer junky calories, plus watching sodium, etc.   I am not able to lose weight as fast as you    But I hope that things will click and progress will be seen very soon.   I did notice after a week of careful choices that one splurge day made me feel super gross!  Not worth it.

Good luck!

2015-02-25 1:29 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
WTG on your commitment! It's a slippery slope with bad eating...holidays become the new year become every day!

I bet you will have great success - just keep at it and make small changes and form new habits!

My favorite quote:

"you can't out train a crappy diet"

Good luck!
2015-02-25 2:05 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Some good feedback everyone! I hope those on the same journey stays positive and soldiers on, I now know that working out is not the end all like it use to be.

It's amazing that 5 years ago my metabolism was still "young", now at 50 I have to wear glasses and weight is easy to gain hard to lose. 

2015-02-25 2:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Some good feedback everyone! I hope those on the same journey stays positive and soldiers on, I now know that working out is not the end all like it use to be.

It's amazing that 5 years ago my metabolism was still "young", now at 50 I have to wear glasses and weight is easy to gain hard to lose. 

I had to laugh at that. Today, for the second time in a week, someone recommended that I get glasses.
2015-02-25 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on cleaning up the diet, but please be careful on involving the daughter (daughters?) on too much discussion of weight, negative comments about one's body, logging food intake, etc. Mindful eating and making healthier choices as a family is a positive step, but teenage girls are particularly vulnerable to negative body image and eating disorders. Have not personally had the issue but as a competitive runner in HS and college, it was rampant and I saw it destroy the health of several friends and teammates. I worry that kids with diet-conscious parents may internalize the negative body image comments, and start to imitate behaviors like logging everything one eats, which, in someone with no need to lose weight, would be signs of a possible eating disorder.

There was a post on COJ a few weeks ago, by a parent who was very conscious about weight/diet herself whose daughter who developed a life-threatening case of anorexia. It really brought this home for me that some of the things that might be positive, awareness-building steps for adult athletes may be understood differently by kids. I'm not a parent but do teach pre-teens, so think about this issue quite a bit when we talk about health and nutrition--I try to focus on balancing food and activity, making healthy food choices, and viewing unhealthy foods as occasional "treats" within an overall healthy diet, rather than demonizing certain foods or worrying too much about weight.

2015-02-25 4:51 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Understand and thanks, great feedback.  But no need to worry about the girl. She's fit (strong), a competitive swimmer, loves the feedback she gets from friends and adult in regards to her fitness, is naturally curious about things (going to state science fair for her project this year) and more importantly has a great head on her shoulders.  She actually had some weight issues (per doc) when she was little but has grown out of it.  She likes to eat healthy compared to my son who we all call the human furnace (high metabolism).  I actually have had to tell my wife in the past to knock it down around her in the past because of some inadvertent self-negativity expressions.

2015-02-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: #5096065

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Last year I tracked my food pretty religiously for about sixth months via MyFitnessPal. Lost about 30 pounds and was the lightest I've been since high school. I managed to keep the weight off all summer, but when my son was born in August everything fell off the rails, and between lack of sleep, inconsistent exercise, and poor eating I've regained 15. I've been trying to get back on track since January with limited success, and just started logging again. It does help as long as you're honest about. And I feel you with the spouse who's not on board, it does make it tough to eat well when she wants to go for donuts every Sunday morning (though my wife is still nursing, so I should probably cut her *some* slack).
2015-02-26 8:14 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Congrats on the progress. I love hearing all the positive stories here! I have found that the goals I set for being a triathlete give me way more motivation to stay at a healthy, lean weight than simply just to "lose weight." I wish I had started all this a decade ago ... but It's never too late!

Several years ago I lost about 50lbs by going low-carb. My father set the diet example for me for about just shy decade to control his diabetes, and it has worked to keep weight off and control his necessity to take insulin less frequently. I decided that with my own hypertension & high cholesterol it was time for a sustainable change. My original weight-loss goal was just to get back to my active duty Navy weight ~ 220lbs @ 6'3". (I was 255 lbs) However, this complete lifestyle change has allowed me to maintain my high school competitive athletics weight of 200-205 lbs for about a 1.5 years now.

The diet & tri training are complementary and reinforce each other.

I find it is almost too easy to live with this diet. I don't eat any grains, hi-glycemic carbs or gluten foods. As it so happens --- my body can't process them now anyways. Yet otherwise, I allow my self treats such as the occasional ice cream or a beer. My goal for the season is to cut out most dairy products to go almost total paleo-diet. This should allow me to cut another 10 lbs off my bicycle's "engine."

I use a "Bod-Pod" Body composition hyperbaric chamber to find out my body-fat percentage several times a year --- which is way more informative than a scale. I would highly recommend doing this if you can get access to one.

This weight loss & lifestyle change allowed me to run again and get into triathlon. I am extremely happy with my energy & fitness level and my body image. I don't have to take hypertension or cholesterol meds anymore.

I am also trying to get to bed earlier as well!!!

It's about the journey.
2015-02-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Congrats on cleaning up the diet, but please be careful on involving the daughter (daughters?) on too much discussion of weight, negative comments about one's body, logging food intake, etc. Mindful eating and making healthier choices as a family is a positive step, but teenage girls are particularly vulnerable to negative body image and eating disorders. Have not personally had the issue but as a competitive runner in HS and college, it was rampant and I saw it destroy the health of several friends and teammates. I worry that kids with diet-conscious parents may internalize the negative body image comments, and start to imitate behaviors like logging everything one eats, which, in someone with no need to lose weight, would be signs of a possible eating disorder.

There was a post on COJ a few weeks ago, by a parent who was very conscious about weight/diet herself whose daughter who developed a life-threatening case of anorexia. It really brought this home for me that some of the things that might be positive, awareness-building steps for adult athletes may be understood differently by kids. I'm not a parent but do teach pre-teens, so think about this issue quite a bit when we talk about health and nutrition--I try to focus on balancing food and activity, making healthy food choices, and viewing unhealthy foods as occasional "treats" within an overall healthy diet, rather than demonizing certain foods or worrying too much about weight.

Good post, thanks, my thoughts exactly. Soooo easy to go overboard and fall into some aspect of disordered eating, especially for teenage and young adult women, but young men are unfortunately gaining ground in this area rapidly, :-( especially around thinness or having the "perfect" body for athletics, etc. The media is brutal in this area, and coupled with peer pressure from teammates, etc. and social media is all so influential. Educate yourself on the issues and then be mindful and vigilant of the susceptible young ones.
2015-02-26 8:54 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
This was an interesting take on "racing" weight and perhaps some food for thought (see what I did there)

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/02/nutrition/brett-suttons-tak...

Since starting IM training in January, I've worked to make healthy eating a priority. I've enjoyed eating healthier foods, and although I'm exercising more, I'm less inclined to overindulge. Some things that have been working for me:

1) Plan healthy meals in advance and stock the fridge with healthy foods (Lots of fruits and vegetables).

2) Brush my teeth soon after dinner to avoid late night snacking.

3) Start with smaller portions and slow down when eating so my appetite catches up with my brain (I discover that I'm full well before digging into second and third portions).

4) Keep a list of healthy alternatives posted on the fridge for when I want to snack (e.g.- carrot sticks or an avocado instead of potato chips).

I definitely feel better, have more energy, and I'm in the best shape I've ever been so early in the year. I've lost about 15 lbs. which is a bit more than I'd planned (was shooting for about 10), so I've been a bit less strict in terms of eating the last week or so.

2015-02-26 9:35 AM

I used Sparkpeople.
Lost 105 lbs.
The neverending parties and events that start with Halloween were not good to me this year.
Had a block party on Halloween and I couldn't stop eating candy. Punished myself the next day with my longest run ever.
Then Thanksgiving. Christmas parties, Christmas (where I go all out cooking, did a John Besh theme this year with horseradish crusted lamb....then New Years. Then Super Bowl. Then Valentines Day where I cooked up a whopper for my wife with a Thomas Keller theme. Mmmm. Follow his braised short ribs recipe to a T from his Ad Hoc book and it will be one of the best things you ever ate. Then a couple other random parties and a trivia night thrown in. I'm up 10+ (but still under my original maintenance goal weight).

I've whipped out my Sparkpeople again to track calories. At least for another 2-4 weeks until the training plan I'm using starts ramping up a bit.
Food tracking was probably the biggest part of my success. Only in that it magnified the exercise results. Instead of a slow 1-2 lbs a week when I was 290+, I'd shed 3-4 lbs. some weeks.
2015-02-27 9:52 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by ejshowers
Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on cleaning up the diet, but please be careful on involving the daughter (daughters?) on too much discussion of weight, negative comments about one's body, logging food intake, etc. Mindful eating and making healthier choices as a family is a positive step, but teenage girls are particularly vulnerable to negative body image and eating disorders. Have not personally had the issue but as a competitive runner in HS and college, it was rampant and I saw it destroy the health of several friends and teammates. I worry that kids with diet-conscious parents may internalize the negative body image comments, and start to imitate behaviors like logging everything one eats, which, in someone with no need to lose weight, would be signs of a possible eating disorder. There was a post on COJ a few weeks ago, by a parent who was very conscious about weight/diet herself whose daughter who developed a life-threatening case of anorexia. It really brought this home for me that some of the things that might be positive, awareness-building steps for adult athletes may be understood differently by kids. I'm not a parent but do teach pre-teens, so think about this issue quite a bit when we talk about health and nutrition--I try to focus on balancing food and activity, making healthy food choices, and viewing unhealthy foods as occasional "treats" within an overall healthy diet, rather than demonizing certain foods or worrying too much about weight.
Good post, thanks, my thoughts exactly. Soooo easy to go overboard and fall into some aspect of disordered eating, especially for teenage and young adult women, but young men are unfortunately gaining ground in this area rapidly, :-( especially around thinness or having the "perfect" body for athletics, etc. The media is brutal in this area, and coupled with peer pressure from teammates, etc. and social media is all so influential. Educate yourself on the issues and then be mindful and vigilant of the susceptible young ones.

I'm going to disagree with the warnings.  Where's the evidence other than anecdotal that having mindful eating habits and making healthy choices will lead teenage girls into disordered eating habits? I'm generally tired of treating kids like delicate flowers, and these kinds of generic fear-based warnings feed right into that meme. 

Here's my anecdotal story to counter the COJ story: I started working out and fixing my eating habits when I hit 210 lbs in 1998. My three girls were 3, 5, and 8 at the time. I've been paying attention to my food, weight, health and making good choices (and discussing it) since 1999.  My daughters are 25, 21, and 20 now and are beautiful healthy adults with no eating problems at all.

That said, I do agree with is "negative body image comments" part. That kind of negative self-talk is counterproductive and a terrible example for your children.

2015-02-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Congrats to all who are keeping accountable! More inspiration and motivation...

I too am on a tracking plan, I use LoseIT. Have been for ~ 18 months..  Been a few times I have taken off (December)and recovered, still I am down over 70 pounds..  and only 18 away from my goal weight of 170. I am 5' 8" tall.

My main issue is when I am really training (like now) and trying to lose. If I go low carb, I lose 1 - 2 pounds a week, but my workouts go to crap.

If I try a balance of 45 - 50 % carbs, 30% protein and 20% fats (basic balance) I have better energy, yet do not lose weight. Eating about 1600 calories a day plus fuels for workouts. This can be an additional 300 - 800 calories depending if I am running 4, 6, or 10+ miles.. 

Past has shown weight lifting helps more with weight loss.. more so than the cardio.

Just weird that calories can be the same, change the macros and my body reacts differently.

2015-02-27 1:18 PM

User image

DC
Good discussion. Though I wonder, in the midst of training, I find it really hard to gain weight! (I'm 38 & weight around 155-160.) Isn't the key to be consistent in volume training & the diet will follow? I ask b/c, this winter has been really hard on me. Been drinking WAAAAAAY too much despite having PR'd in an October marathon.
2015-02-27 2:09 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Porfirio Good discussion. Though I wonder, in the midst of training, I find it really hard to gain weight! (I'm 38 & weight around 155-160.) Isn't the key to be consistent in volume training & the diet will follow? I ask b/c, this winter has been really hard on me. Been drinking WAAAAAAY too much despite having PR'd in an October marathon.

Subject: RE: Bad eating...

Bad eating, too many IPA's, and not really training killed me.  5 years ago I trained for a HM weighted 173 and had no problem eating & drinking whatever I wanted.  Just wait to you get near/past 50, it's like the world suddenly slows down for no reason!

2015-02-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Dennis B

Just weird that calories can be the same, change the macros and my body reacts differently.

That's because your body doesn't metabolize all nutrients the same, and "calories in = calories out" is overly simplistic and usually wrong, kind of like BMI. Think of it this way - a small bag of Chips Ahoy and an apple are both roughly 100 calories. But would you really expect your body to react the same if your diet was heavy on one vs. the other?
2015-02-27 8:53 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually don't have a problem at all with mindful eating, talking about food choices, and the like. Mainly with the negative comments. Kids are exposed to so many messages in the media, and then hearing these messages at home--it can't be helpful and would just seem to make it more likely to internalized when coming from an adult close to them. I don't have research, but I have lived with several anorexics and compulsive food logging and calorie counting can be a big part of that. I'm not sure it's something I'd want to model for kids/teens, or involve them in. I might have kids do it for a day or two as an awareness-building activity if we were studying nutrition--that's about it. Most kids are more at risk from a crappy American diet than from eating disorders, so clearly there needs to be some substantial attention to healthy eating, at home and at school.

There are probably some biological/psychological components to eating disorders like OCD or anxiety, as well as social pressures, that make some kids (and adults) more vulnerable than others. Most probably aren't "delicate flowers". But a few, especially girls, and/or those involved in pursuits like gymnastics, dance, modeling, wrestling, or distance running, where making a certain weight is important, or a thin physique is held up as the ideal, might be particularly susceptible.
2015-03-01 10:46 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by Porfirio Good discussion. Though I wonder, in the midst of training, I find it really hard to gain weight! (I'm 38 & weight around 155-160.) Isn't the key to be consistent in volume training & the diet will follow? I ask b/c, this winter has been really hard on me. Been drinking WAAAAAAY too much despite having PR'd in an October marathon.

Subject: RE: Bad eating...

Bad eating, too many IPA's, and not really training killed me.  5 years ago I trained for a HM weighted 173 and had no problem eating & drinking whatever I wanted.  Just wait to you get near/past 50, it's like the world suddenly slows down for no reason!

Thanks for replying.

Besides "mindful eating," what about eating frequently? I'm under the impression (I have been proven wrong SEVERAL time on BT) that this helps increase metabolism. Has this helped?
2015-03-09 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Starting week 4 today and weighed in at 182 this morning, 10 lbs in 3 weeks!

Thinking I can sell this now, any takers, LOL

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad eating & overweight (my 'going public' disclosure) Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Going public

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 984 Posts: 13

2015-02-25 3:10 PM mrbbrad

Some days I just eat eat eat

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1952 Posts: 20

2010-07-30 2:36 AM ehughes

Season went from bad to worse

Started by NavyTRIChief
Views: 656 Posts: 2

2008-06-30 3:01 PM runningwoof

Careful out on the road...this is BAD,BAD,BAD

Started by Z-dog
Views: 2918 Posts: 22

2008-05-12 1:19 PM eberulf

Last bad day of eating...

Started by colesdad
Views: 1188 Posts: 16

2008-01-22 12:08 AM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.