General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar fasciitis: do you run with your inserts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-26 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Subject: Plantar fasciitis: do you run with your inserts?
Hi all,
I've had plantar fasciitis issues for a few years now. I've been using generic plantar fasciitis insoles from the Dr.Scholl's Active Series and it doesn't matter if I wear them when I run or not, my feet are still killing me. I massage them almost on a daily basis with anything I can get my hands on (handle of a dumbbell, lacrosse ball, frozen golf ball, the stick, you name it!) I also use a foam roller to relieve some of the tension in my muscles which seems to help a bit but I'm still facing this PF issue. I should add that I do only running now (no more time for tris) and mostly only workouts (tempos, track workouts and such) and I also do 3 days of hard strength training per week so my legs are almost always in a state of soreness. I'm having some custom insoles done tomorrow and I hope that it will help.

What has worked for you guys? Do you run with inserts or use them only for walking?

2015-02-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: goran007

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Plantar fasciitis: do you run with your inserts?

I have used inserts in the past and I used them all of the time (walking and running).  My thoughts are that if you wear them only some of the time the muscles in your feet are constantly having to adapt to having and not having support.  I don't see that as a good thing.  The only thing that worked for me was massage and I still have to do this from time to time.

2015-02-26 1:15 PM

User image

Just joined this group yesterday. I did have this problem in my 40's when I really ramped up my running. Went to Podiatrists...got the inserts, did the tapping, even cortisone shots. After a lot of research and experimentation I did two things that have eliminated the problem forever...now in my 60's...
I found that I had two issues that caused the problem to re-occur...they were 1. The wrong sneakers...I am a mild pronator...I need to wear stability sneakers and never cushioning sneakers....I changed to Asics Gel-Kayano's and have never used any other models. I used to use Nike Pegasus which were just the wrong sneaker for me. This is probably different for different types of runners, but I found that the right sneaker gives me the arch support I need. 2. I always stretch my calf muscles before each run. I read somewhere that tight calf muscles and achilles tendon can be a contributing cause. Since taking these two measures, I've never had to use inserts..(which never worked) again. Hope this might help.
2015-02-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: #5096383

User image

Superfeet inserts have worked wonders for me. I have them in all of my running shoes and use them every time I run.
2015-02-26 1:41 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have had mild bouts with pf which I think are attributed to shoes without enough arch support.  I have a pair of Feetures compression socks that seem to relieve some of the discomfort.  I start wearing them if I feel onset of pf and usually things subside pretty quickly.

I'm having some similar foot pain now that is due to a strain and find that I can bike and swim with no discomfort so have been focusing my sessions there.

2015-02-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Inserts will help, I use my custom Orthotics and yes they do help, but really the only thing that will really help PF is to rest it by not running on it, rolling on frozen tubing and squash balls will help some, Iceing ,using a sling at night when you are sleeping to keep it stretched out helps too, but if its really bothering you the best solution is to stop running on it for a few weeks or a month or so till its not sore anymore.

2015-02-26 3:39 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Master
Had a nasty case of PF last fall. trained through it so I could complete my A race HM in October and didn't run again until about 2 weeks ago.

Running the race was in hindsight a bad idea. I think I would have been better off stopping the running when it flared up and allowed it to heal.

I iced, massaged, stretched for the first couple months. It eventually got to the point where it was about 90% healed. never seemed to get better after that point.

Recently had 3 treatments of EPAT coupled with ART. EPAT is a sonic therapy that directs soundwaves at the tissue in the arch and heel to help stimulate healing. The ART is what I would call deep tissue massage. Finally running again and feeling like its healing.
2015-02-26 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Controlled studies show no benefit from orthotics no matter how much you spend on them. If they work for someone, great. But I wouldn't spend much on them. Rolling, night splints and weight loss have been proven to be effective for most people. I have had it on both sides and it was miserable. I used a night splint and after several months, it went away.
2015-02-26 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Toefuzz

Superfeet inserts have worked wonders for me. I have them in all of my running shoes and use them every time I run.

x2

I've been really happy with the results from Superfeet (BLUE) in my Hokas. I got the idea from someone on a BT thread and it seems to play nicely.

I also wear the ProFoot half inserts for PF in my regular shoes (for walking, work, etc). These are really great and cheap.
2015-02-26 6:20 PM
in reply to: #5096424

User image

Franklin, TN
Just resting it didn't do the trick for me...never got better. It did go away when I a) got custom orthotics for my daily shoes, b) used superfeet insoles in my running shoes, and, most importantly, started wearing a Strassburg Sock at night.
2015-02-26 10:04 PM
in reply to: #5096501

User image

Strangely I started loving my Hokas once I added my Superfeet inserts (green). It took out some of the roll and squishiness. They are only $40-$50, so much less than a custom orthotic. Be sure to try a pair on in person to see where your arch lines up to help pick a size.

2015-02-27 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I had PF issues for years and did the cortisone shots, sleeping boot and inserts but it was no help.

What helped me was...

1. Switched to Brooks shoes. I have a pair for walking around inside the house as well. My house was built on a slab so the shoes give me support.
2. I take Ginger root and Turmeric every day. Both good for Inflammation.

I haven't had PF issues in over five years. No more shots, no more inserts and no sleeping with boot.
2015-02-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Thank you all for the comments. Just got my custom-made insoles today. We will see if they make any difference. I've been taping my feet with athletic tape. I had done it in the past and that's what has helped me the most. I hate the strassburg sock. I've used it a few times but I end up waking up because of it and I don't even feel like it helps. I've used the Feetures! Plantar Fasciitis Sleeves and I don't notice any difference after wearing them for the whole night.
2015-02-27 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
I've come to believe that PF is solved on a case by case basis. The main reason I'm often skeptical of inserts is that podiatrists make a living on problems, not on preventing them. But that said, some friends have had great luck with inserts.

My bout with PF was when I first started running about five years ago. I was lucky to get it early - I fixed my stride, and found shoes than work for me. I was over striding, so I learned how not to. For me, Skechers Performance shoes work, and have the attributes I hear about in some inserts, they encourage a mid-foot or forefoot strike, have a low drop, are flexible, and have a relatively wide toe box.
2015-03-02 1:01 PM

User image

how did you tape your feet? I have been dealing with PF for 6 months now on both feet, haven't run in 3 months and they are not getting much better. tried everything you have and same reaction. I even have gone with acupuncture in the ear to hit nerves in the foot! rolling my foot on a golf ball as I type at work.
2015-03-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: snyder2165

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I'm laughing because I'm also at work and wearing my Strassburg sock in hopes that it will help some. To answer your question I tape my feet with an X starting next to the big toe and going under the foot until I reach the ankle. Then the second strip I start at the pinky toe and go to the other side of the ankle. Then I add a third strip of tape that goes from the middle of the foot (top) and that goes exactly where the two other strips meet. Does that make any sense at all? Sorry, English is not my first language, haha! I'll try to find a video.

2015-03-02 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Here is a video. Of the last 3 strips that he does at the end, I only do the middle one.

http://chiropractichandandfootclinics.com/strapplantarfascia/
2015-03-03 8:38 AM

User image

Had a bad case of PF a few years ago. I found inserts did not help-at all. In fact, nothing but rest heals the irritation. Then I tried rolling and stretching UP STREAM from the sites, particularly the calves, helped more than all the tissue manipulation on the feet themselves. After that I dropped the mid-stability shoe, and ANY arch support at all, and went to a "neutral" running shoe. In fact, I run in a "zero drop" shoe right now, again, without any arch support, and my feet have been just fine.

I am not a big fan of "stability/motion control" shoes, or arch support inserts in general any more. Unless you have an extremely high, "soft" arch that collapses when running/walking, I think you're better off just strengthening your feet by running/walking in a "neutral" shoe, and letting your feet sort themselves out.

But I am no podiatrist/orthopedic guy/or witch doctor, and have nothing to back up these opinions, except my own experience. YMMV!
2015-03-15 5:03 PM

User image

I suffered with plantar fasciitis off and on for years until I did two things: 1-heeded advice always to STEP RIGHT INTO SUPPORTIVE SHOES upon getting up in the morning, and only rarely go barefoot. (The advice came from Jeff Galloway, to whom I am eternally grateful.); 2- got good, custom orthotics, the kind made of hard plastic. With this combination of treatments the plantar fasciitis went away completely and I haven't had a relapse since I began, about six years ago. I've passed these recommendations on to numerous running buddies and they've had good luck with them. I hope you get better, one way or another!
2015-03-15 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
You gotta get yourself one of those Strassburg Socks. Totally helped heal mine!
2015-04-11 6:37 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

The BEST advice I ever got about plantar fasciitis: never step out of bed in the morning except into supportive shoes, preferably with inserts or custom orthotics. Nothing else ever helped me, and I had tried absolutely everything. From the moment I began stepping into my shoes upon waking and avoiding walking barefoot, I had no problems with plantar fasciitis. Try it!!

2018-03-12 1:20 PM

User image

De Moine, Iowa
My daughter also has a plantar fasciitis. The doctor advised wearing special orthopedic insoles. The most important thing is that the shoes were spacious comfortable and didn't squeeze the leg. For a long time couldn't find suitable shoes for training (it is desirable to take running shoes) fit well Asics https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-asics-shoes-for-plantar-fasciitis/ Very worthy option
2018-03-13 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Couple points.

Legs always sore? Time to review your workouts, volume, load, etc. You should not be in a constant state of soreness. That can lead to issues down the leg = foot issues. Do you ever feel rested and recovered?

I had this issue when I injured my foot (started left, went to right foot) running on gravel and dealt with it for two years and FINALLY got rid of it 2 months out from IMFL 2017.

Here was how I did it for me, maybe it will work for others?

Swap shoes when they are worn out. They may not LOOK like it, but shoes are mostly done by 300 miles. I track all mine religiously on Garmin connect. They either get retired at 300 miles or any signs of foot pain.

Dry needling + electric stim in calves. I was told about it for the entire time I should have it done and finally broke down to try it after 2 years of muddling through the pain. After 6 weeks x 1 time a week and following the stretching and pt advice of my sports doc, I was pain free for IMFL last Nov and pretty much to this day since. Every now and again after an intense run will I have some soreness, but after a full night sleep, I'm good to go. Firm believer now that the calves are my main issue and the stim helped produce permanent recovery.

I used inserts for a week and they were garbage. Treat the problem (body functionality above the foot), not the symptom (foot pain).
2018-04-12 10:22 AM

User image

Sarasota, Florida
Plantar fasciitis is more commonly caused by the muscles of your lower leg, all of which insert into the bottom of your foot. Think about what would happen if you pulled your hair on your left side, your right side, and the back of your head. Your head would hurt a lot, and you wouldn't be able to turn in any direction. The same thing is happening with the muscles of your lower leg.

The tibialis anterior muscle inserts into your arch and turns your foot toward the outside, the peroneals run along the outside of your leg and insert into both the outside of your foot, and the arch bone. These muscles cause your foot to pronate, lifting the outside of your foot up. And the calf muscles merge into your Achilles tendon and insert into your heel bone. They lift your heel up off the floor. All of these bones are the insertion points of your arch muscles, so your arch is being pulled in three different directions, and your arch hurts.

I have been working with endurance athletes since 1989 and have written a book titled "The Pain-Free Athlete." The book is filled with self-treatments for muscles from your head to your feet. You can also go to my Instagram site: @JulstroMethod, and see the self-treatments for your lower leg. These treatments have helped thousands of athletes over the years, I believe they will help you.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

YOU are your own Best Therapist? Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.JulstroMethod.com to discover logical solutions to chronic aches and pains, and sports injuries.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar fasciitis: do you run with your inserts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Plantar and shoe inserts

Started by Wojo14
Views: 1866 Posts: 9

2013-11-09 7:23 PM joyct32

Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis?

Started by smallard
Views: 1904 Posts: 6

2013-05-10 6:15 AM berndog

Running style for plantar fasciitis prevention?

Started by EvenOlder
Views: 2839 Posts: 18

2009-04-15 6:46 PM EvenOlder

Plantar Fasciitis - Two pairs of socks?

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 3076 Posts: 9

2006-02-02 9:32 AM klbarrus

arch pains/plantar fasciitis

Started by trilover
Views: 1031 Posts: 6

2004-06-18 9:58 AM jamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Five years later, I'm still fighting it. Plantar fasciitis. It's back again in both feet. Running is out. I have been swimming and cycling only the last five years. How do I deal with this?

date : July 31, 2013
comments : 1
I have an ongoing problem with Plantar fasciitis (PF). A running friend of mine had heard that raising your running cadence is a good way to ease PF?
date : December 28, 2009
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?

date : October 28, 2009
I think I have Plantar Faciitis? The bottom of my foot is sore in front of the heel in the mornings. It sort of gets better during the day, I can run without increasing in pain.
date : June 23, 2009
comments : 0
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?

date : June 4, 2008
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?
date : September 3, 2006
Heel pain, especially in runners, is usually due to plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue on the bottom of your foot that stretches from the heel to the ball of the foot

date : May 16, 2005
I have bone spurs in my left heel. It's painful first thing in the morning. Sometimes my heel will bother me running, or on the bike. I feel as if the heel is holding me back.