General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Disc Brake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-26 2:42 PM

User image

DC
Subject: Road Disc Brake
Just received the latest "Bicycling Magazine."

Re disc brakes on roadies: I feel as if the industry is telling us, "the market is saturated & we need to sell you more junk."

IMO, the weight of carbon wheels w/disc brakes doesn't justify getting a new frame. How many of us hit the roads when it rains?

Is it just me?

2015-02-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Road Disc Brake
I love discs on my nasty weather bikes. Those are my Cyclocross/Rain bike and my Mountain bike. Discs on my Tri or Road bike, not doing a thing for me.
2015-02-26 3:03 PM

User image

Master
I agree that there is always a market for more junk but caliper brakes are ancient technology. I don't think it will be too long before electronic shifting and disc brakes become fairly common on high end bikes. Heat dissipation on carbon rims can be a real issue for heavy riders in hilly areas.
2015-02-26 3:13 PM

User image

I live in a hilly, rainy area, and I have been caught in the rain more times than I can count. I became convinced when I realized that my loaded touring bike, which has disc brakes, stops better in the rain than my road bike does in dry conditions. I am planning on getting a new road bike this year, and it will have Di2 and disc brakes.

BTW, so many cyclists are obsessed with having a new bike, the latest helmet, the snazziest shorts, and the most accurate Garmin with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, even though they don't do anything with the data. Why all the hate for technology that makes a bike safer?
2015-02-26 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
disc brakes seem like a cool idea, but I'm with you on the weight. Also I can't see spending the dough on changing over for one thing, and the rim brakes generally are fine.

I do agree that discs are much better for extended braking (due to heat dissipation). Certainly discs work awesome on my MTB. I think discs are fine for cross bikes & MTBs, but a bit overkill for road / tri. Plus if you are using hydraulic discs, the extra hassle of bleeding them is just not appealing for road/tri.
2015-02-26 5:38 PM
in reply to: #5096453

User image

, North Carolina
If I ever buy a new bike it will be disc.

2015-02-26 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

So far, everything I've made for myself is disc-brake equipped.  But... I've got a road bike in the pipeline that'll be standard rim calipers. They have their place, which for me is dry road riding. If there's a chance of wet (or it's not a TT-type event), discs are it. Period. I'm a convert. Even for a lot of my road training rides I'm using a cross bike that's disc-equipped, 35mm tires (sweet spot seems to be 50psi rear/45 front), cush ride and no speed concessions to speak of.

2015-02-26 6:57 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Originally posted by briderdt

So far, everything I've made for myself is disc-brake equipped.  But... I've got a road bike in the pipeline that'll be standard rim calipers. They have their place, which for me is dry road riding. If there's a chance of wet (or it's not a TT-type event), discs are it. Period. I'm a convert. Even for a lot of my road training rides I'm using a cross bike that's disc-equipped, 35mm tires (sweet spot seems to be 50psi rear/45 front), cush ride and no speed concessions to speak of.

I love commuting on my CAADX with disc brakes.  I've put on 32mm gatorskins on them with 50 psi and the ride is great.  Maybe my imagination, but I suspect I'm slightly slower on it though.  Maybe it's more acceleration based because the wheels and the bike in general are quite a bit heavier than my road bike.  

At this point I wouldn't buy a race bike with disc brakes as my current quiver of wheels would be somewhat worthless...but for a weekend warrior looking for a road bike, I don't know why they wouldn't choose disc brakes if there is an option.

2015-02-26 7:14 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

DC
Originally posted by Nick B

If I ever buy a new bike it will be disc.

I reckon we'll very soon get to a point where we won't have a choice. Reminds me, I still ride my MTB w/26" inch wheels... the 29" rave has been replaced w/the 27.5" rave. The 27.5" rave is the industry not wanting to admit that we were fine w/26"... far more responsive than the burly 29".

But yeah... if I were dropping $3K on a bike tomorrow, I too would strongly consider disc only b/c I don't want to be left w/out spare parts.
2015-02-27 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I agree with the weight, but the big thing for me is the longevity of the disc rotors. The rotors on road bikes are so small and thin that they can't dissipate the heat properly and long, technical descents, they can warp with pretty spectacular crashes as a consequence. Until they solve that problem, I'm sticking with my rim brake calipers.
2015-02-27 10:33 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I love them on my MTB, lots more stopping power.

I will not be upgrading my road bike any time soon to get them, but I am sure they will work out the issues over the next couple years and will dominate the market soon enough.

Once they start flooding the market, any one who does group rides will have to hang back more or upgrade because the discs will probably stop faster than the calipers.

2015-02-27 10:33 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I love them on my MTB, lots more stopping power.

I will not be upgrading my road bike any time soon to get them, but I am sure they will work out the issues over the next couple years and will dominate the market soon enough.

Once they start flooding the market, any one who does group rides will have to hang back more or upgrade because the discs will probably stop faster than the calipers.
2015-02-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by pschriver I agree that there is always a market for more junk but caliper brakes are ancient technology. I don't think it will be too long before electronic shifting and disc brakes become fairly common on high end bikes. Heat dissipation on carbon rims can be a real issue for heavy riders in hilly areas.

or you know.. for the pro peloton in the tour of oman where their wheels were heating up so much the tubulars were coming unglued and the riders pulled over and refused to ride another mile because of safety concerns.  

the change is going to happen; the component manufactures want it.  the only detail to really be worked out is neutral support in the pro ranks.  standardizing disc diameter and interface with the frame.  once everyone gets on board with that you can expect it to roll out quickly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Disc Brake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

SRAM Recalls All Hydraulic Road Disc Brakes

Started by Gene67
Views: 561 Posts: 1

2013-12-14 9:40 AM Gene67

Disc brakes on road bikes

Started by husse23
Views: 932 Posts: 4

2012-10-01 8:49 AM wushunut

Sell the road bike for a disc wheelset??

Started by bmcgee
Views: 1420 Posts: 7

2009-05-29 7:31 PM generalee2010

Road bike brakes

Started by erjellum
Views: 984 Posts: 13

2007-03-21 3:37 PM run4yrlif

Aero Brakes vs TT brakes?

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 919 Posts: 4

2006-01-13 3:10 PM luv2flyjrn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 11, 2011
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 30, 2009
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : June 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
I know that annular tears mean there is a risk for a bigger disc blow-out. How do I continue to train and compete without putting myself at risk for worsening of my injury?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.