General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Atrial fibrillation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-27 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Atrial fibrillation

Anybody ever deal with this?  I've been back to running for a few months and yesterday morning I wake up with my heart jumping around.  I took my pulse and it was erratic to the point where I couldn't even get a count.  To make a short story even shorter  I end up in the ER with a HR of 195 and irregular and they put me out and shocked my heart back to a normal rhythm....and then sent me home.  Yeah, it's kind of a weird way to start the day.     I have no history and can't think of anything I did different the last few days from what I normally do.  I've got a battery of tests lined up  to try and get to the bottom of it, but I'm at a loss as to how I ended up in this situation.  Anybody have any experience with it?  Google is fun.....I'm either near death or it's no big deal.

2015-02-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Atrial fibrillation

My husband suddenly starting getting this on vacation, about 5 years ago.  We went to the ER and he was going to be admitted until he stood up to use the bathroom and suddenly it stopped.  Once he felt fine, he was sent away with instructions to avoid caffeine until he saw a doctor at home.  I suspect there was more to the decision than that, but the general thing I hear every time is that A-fib, itself, is not life threatening. 

Now he is under the care of a cardiologist.  As I said, A-fib is not, in itself, life threatening from what I understand.  It can, however, throw a blood clot and cause stroke.    It may simply be a life long nuisance, which seems to be the case for my husband.  He can feel it, like you did, but some folks actually have this and don't even notice!    It's obviously disconcerting, but not necessarily a sign of anything other than having A-fib.

He takes a drug that I can't remember the name, but it is not a blood thinner.  He has found he immediately gets it if he is hot and dehydrated and drinks something cold, like a Gatorade after a summer bike ride.  He leads a very active life and just tries to avoid those triggers.   We just keep a room temp gatorade for him, although I think he could do better to avoid dehydration as he goes. 

I would NOT worry!  But, you should be visiting a cardiologist.  I suspect you'll get an EKG.  I know one option is minimally invasive ablation if it's consistent and causing trouble, or you may just be able to live with it.    I like to think this is a good thing, because now my husband is being carefully watched and he won't have one of those drop-dead heart attacks that happen to healthy/fit looking men who didn't know they had heart disease. 

Eta: I see you've got tests lined up. Good! 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2015-02-27 10:23 AM
2015-02-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

No personal history, but there's been a lot of discussion historically over on that *other* board, especially as it relates to training.  Daremo went through this as well and I think has it resolved now

2015-02-27 12:28 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
I have had a few experiences with it. It corrected itself in my case. Later I was stress, tested EKGd and all other sorts of stuff only to be told that my heart is very healthy. Getting dehyrdrated and pushing hard in the heat seems to be the trigger for me. Looking back I also think I took pseudoephedrine the night before both incidents for my sinus issues. I won't touch the stuff anymore. I am just careful now. I avoid totally red lining and am very careful to stay hydrated and to take a good balanced electrolyte in the heat.
2015-02-27 12:59 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
One of my cardiologist friends tells me that Afib is 5 times more likely in endurance athletes than it is in the general population.

You likely aren't on death's door..........but it can be a pretty unpleasant thing to have to deal with.
2015-02-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster One of my cardiologist friends tells me that Afib is 5 times more likely in endurance athletes than it is in the general population. You likely aren't on death's door..........but it can be a pretty unpleasant thing to have to deal with.

Yeah....that's what I'm hearing.  You know the drill and the personality type......I've got half a mind to go run an hour hard and either blow it up or forget about it when nothing happens.   Waiting around to have some tests done is worse than the trip to the ER was.

2015-02-27 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

Anybody ever deal with this?  I've been back to running for a few months and yesterday morning I wake up with my heart jumping around.  I took my pulse and it was erratic to the point where I couldn't even get a count.  To make a short story even shorter  I end up in the ER with a HR of 195 and irregular and they put me out and shocked my heart back to a normal rhythm....and then sent me home.  Yeah, it's kind of a weird way to start the day.     I have no history and can't think of anything I did different the last few days from what I normally do.  I've got a battery of tests lined up  to try and get to the bottom of it, but I'm at a loss as to how I ended up in this situation.  Anybody have any experience with it?  Google is fun.....I'm either near death or it's no big deal.

Long story short went for an easy run in the spring of '11, suddenly my HR was 190+ and I was short of breath. Over time this continued on, very random, no consistency, but it happened and I had to stop for the day when it did. This included during many races where I would just have to stop dead in my tracks and stroll in.

Got tested for many possible diagnosis; A-Fib, SVT, WMPW (I think thats what it is called), among many others. I got EKG's stress tests, ultrasound, everything. Nothing was found, told my heart was 100% healthy, but the problems persisted. I visited with 4 different cardiologists and they could not find/detect anything. Over time the issue was detected and solved (very small hole in my heart that had developed most likely since I took on endurance sports), took about 2 years to find out exactly what was going on. Small procedure to fix the hole in my heart and now I am building back to race again in 2015.

Friend had this too, all that was needed to remedy was a very small routine procedure, he is back to full health.

2015-02-27 2:22 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

Long story short went for an easy run in the spring of '11, suddenly my HR was 190+ and I was short of breath. Over time this continued on, very random, no consistency, but it happened and I had to stop for the day when it did. This included during many races where I would just have to stop dead in my tracks and stroll in. Got tested for many possible diagnosis; A-Fib, SVT, WMPW (I think thats what it is called), among many others. I got EKG's stress tests, ultrasound, everything. Nothing was found, told my heart was 100% healthy, but the problems persisted. I visited with 4 different cardiologists and they could not find/detect anything. Over time the issue was detected and solved (very small hole in my heart that had developed most likely since I took on endurance sports), took about 2 years to find out exactly what was going on. Small procedure to fix the hole in my heart and now I am building back to race again in 2015. Friend had this too, all that was needed to remedy was a very small routine procedure, he is back to full health.

That's interesting......it came on suddenly...no warning?  They kept asking me questions about prior feelings of lightheadedness, dizziness, etc...I have none.

2015-02-27 2:57 PM

User image

Good luck, hope it's easily remedied. 

2015-02-27 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25

Long story short went for an easy run in the spring of '11, suddenly my HR was 190+ and I was short of breath. Over time this continued on, very random, no consistency, but it happened and I had to stop for the day when it did. This included during many races where I would just have to stop dead in my tracks and stroll in. Got tested for many possible diagnosis; A-Fib, SVT, WMPW (I think thats what it is called), among many others. I got EKG's stress tests, ultrasound, everything. Nothing was found, told my heart was 100% healthy, but the problems persisted. I visited with 4 different cardiologists and they could not find/detect anything. Over time the issue was detected and solved (very small hole in my heart that had developed most likely since I took on endurance sports), took about 2 years to find out exactly what was going on. Small procedure to fix the hole in my heart and now I am building back to race again in 2015. Friend had this too, all that was needed to remedy was a very small routine procedure, he is back to full health.

That's interesting......it came on suddenly...no warning?  They kept asking me questions about prior feelings of lightheadedness, dizziness, etc...I have none.

yep, purely out of random, just looked back on the fil, HR level at 130-140……then 160, 170, 180 all within a matter of seconds.

I had no oncoming symptoms, but would be short of breath and sometimes dizzy.

It's all resolved now (I hope) and I am eager to get back to racing healthy for the first time in years but I still and will always have a bit of a worry if something happening again. The only comforting fact of the past is that if I seized the intensity of effort everything would return to a balanced state.
2015-02-27 8:00 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

I used to have Afib. In my case, probably linked to a mitral valve defect. I had surgery for the mitral valve repair (not replacement) exactly four years ago, with an ablation procedure at the same time to take care of the Afib in case it was not caused by mitral valve issue. While they were there, they closed the atrial appendage (where many stroke causing clots form). Came out of surgery in sinus rhythm, and have had no Afib since. I ran 20 miles last Sunday, and hope to do a marathon in two weeks. Good that you are seeing a cardiologist. Six years ago, I was healthy, and knew I had a mitral valve defect (which didn't keep me from century rides and a HIM), but when I developed persistent Afib less than five years ago, I began going downhill - but much of that was due to mitral valve regurgitation. I was trying to exercise, but needing to take naps afterword and tired all the time. Cardiologist prescribed warfarin/Coumadin (which is awful) for stroke prevention, and a rhythm drug. I did stress echocardiogram, TEE, catheterization, nuclear stress test, etc. The EKG only detects Afib or not. If you have "lone Afib" (not connected with another underlying cause), the options range from medication / watch it, to an ablation procedure, or eventually a pacemaker. My family has a history of Afib related issues, but most lived to late 80s or 90s, so it is a much better "problem" to have than artery clogging issues. My arteries are clean as a whistle. I believe that it is possible that one reason endurance athletes are diagnosed with Afib more is that because we have thinner chest wall, and not much fat; we are aware of our heartbeat, and can hear it, even lying in bed. The mildly or more overweight can't do that, since the fat muffles the beat. My surgery was minimally invasive, which was great. It is still very major surgery, and you are flat lined(on heart lung machine) longer than if they do it open. You can see ones like it on youtube: Dr. Chitwood does mitral valve repair with da vinci robot. If you do end up needing surgery, go to a doctor who specializes on that procedure, and does a ton of them. You only have one heart. All I take now is a baby aspirin daily and some vitamins, and I'll be 58 in a two weeks. Keep us posted.
John

2015-02-27 8:36 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

Scottsdale, AZ
A good friend dealt with this a few years ago. She was a fit, trained endurance athlete and her heart started going hay wire during rides and runs. She would have to get off her bike in the middle of a long bike ride and lay down until her heart slowed down. Said it got up to high 190's and over 200. Very scary.

Several dr's, consults and 3 ablations later (yes, 3) and she is doing fine. Did IMAZ 2 years ago with no incident and done multiple multi day bike rides/races along with a few HM with no incident.

I'm sure every case is unique, so glad you are getting the tests done to figure this out!
2015-02-28 7:24 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I've had it all my life and am 47 now. It's never been more than the occasional "gear change" feeling I get every so often. I've had one instance of where it raced up to 180 at the start of a run for about a minute, it went back to normal and was fine the rest of the way. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start having those episodes more and more. Welcome to the club!
2015-02-28 1:52 PM

User image

I had an episode about 15 years ago. I wasn't exercising then. I had got up to check on the kids who were sleeping on mats on the floor. The bending over and standing up suddenly gave me a vasovagal reaction and I fainted. I went into atrial fib for about 8 hours. They did some tests but nothing was ever found. I haven't had any trouble since.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Atrial fibrillation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

anyone extra atrial contractions

Started by mlanahan
Views: 1768 Posts: 5

2012-09-24 12:16 PM kremedi