General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-27 2:51 PM

User image

, England
Subject: What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance?
Its something I have been wondering about, some friends of mine compete in Sprint/Olympic distances. They say they want to compete in half and full Ironman events. While some are content with Sprint/Olympic distance and focusing of faster times, many seem to want to take that step to the bigger distances but barriers seem to hold them back.

If you are the sort of person who is thinking about making the jump, what is holding you back?

2015-02-27 2:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance?

Enough time to train

ETA - for a full, I am training for HIM now

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-02-27 2:55 PM
2015-02-27 2:55 PM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance?
I'm trying to enjoy taking my time at each distance level while building a base. I personally want to take my time at each distance level so I don't do it all and stop tri'ing :D. I've been known to get bored easily so I'm purposefully leaving my main goal a few years out to create a solid habit.
2015-02-27 3:19 PM

User image

The one IM I did was a huge time commitment.  The hit on the pocket book (due to travel) is also why I could never do IM on a regular basis.  I don't mind training 15+ hours a week if it's just bike riding, but mixing in swim, bike, and run makes it more difficult for me fitting it all in around normal life.

2015-02-27 3:42 PM

User image

I wanted to make sure that I was comfortable doing the shorter distances well within the time allowances before doing a longer race. Now I am training for my first HIM in July. I think that if the race were held this weekend, I could finish by the 9 hour cutoff easily, but I would not hit my goal of 6.5 hours.

I don't want to know if I will want to do an IM in the future. Part of it will depend on how I feel after the race in July. I don't know if I would want to make the training commitment, though. I have been working really hard on my craptastic swim all winter and have reduced my 2000 m time by more than 10 min (which if I am lucky will put me midpack in a HIM), but the idea of swimming 2.4 miles then getting on a bike then running just doesn't appeal to me. The amount of work it would take to efficiently swim that distance and still have gas in the tank for the last two legs makes me want to curl up on the couch with my dog and a book.
2015-02-27 4:25 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I'm training for a HIM right now.  This is my 3rd year in the sport and so far I've raced a bunch of sprints and 1 olympic distance.  I may or may not work up to the full distance....it's not a priority for me.

I've been having fun trying to improve in all 3 disciplines and get competitive in my age group in the shorter events.  I think I'll like the HIM distance because the distances are manageable without the crazy volume requirements necessary to race a full ironman. 

Frankly, I got bored with the 3 hour training runs when I did my one and only marathon last year and I would probably get equally bored with a 6-8 hour training ride.  I'm not saying I won't do another marathon or do an ironman but I'd rather work on building speed in the shorter races. 

2015-02-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Denver, CO

I'm a more than a little daunted by the run.  I think I could work my way up to the swim and bike but I'm not sure I want to take the beating I would get training for a marathon, either as a standalone or as part of an IM.  Plus I do like a little balance in my life.  Spending so much time training wouldn't allow me to do the other things I enjoy.

2015-02-27 5:21 PM
in reply to: #5096707

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Fear of having to get the tattoo.
2015-02-27 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Mainly lack of a good situation to train adequately for longer events. My time is very limited due to my job and coursework, I'm on my feet at work most of the day, and "recovery" really only happens when I sleep. I do a lot of my coursework and household errands on the weekend, and adding a six or seven hour ride to that would leave me with zero downtime. I feel like for me, HIM is the upper limit of what I can handle while teaching full-time, at least here in tropical Asia, and to be honest, it's a real stretch. Also, there's really no safe and interesting place to bike around here, and nobody who trains for events of that distance. Those 6-7 hour rides would either be solo on the trainer, solo in circles around a 4-mile loop at the industrial park, or solo on roads with horrific traffic. (Plus add in dangerous heat about 10 months per year.) Back when I had a bike buddy and trained on the roads more, it was common to see a fatal motorbike-car collision almost every single ride. That messes with one's head. It's just not how I want to spend my weekends.

I can easily see training for full IM if I lived full-time in somewhere scenic and temperate, like Oregon or Hawaii, if I could time peak training right with summer breaks, or maybe after I retire. To be honest, it would probably be a one and done thing, or at most occasional destination race for me. Cycling's not my strong suit, so IM and even HIM would not be my best events since the bike is a bigger %. I'm also not sure I have the right mentality for it. The marathon was my best event as a runner, but never my favorite. I disliked holding back that much in the first half, but knew I had to do it. I always felt like I was just waiting for the real race to get started at 20 miles. To me, racing means going all-out, or at least riding that red line. But clearly not a good strategy for an IM. Maybe that would be different now with age--I don't know.

Take the bike part out of it, offer a IM-distance aquathlon, and I'd register today!
2015-02-27 5:46 PM
in reply to: Mc Q

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Mc Q

<<< Already got the tattoo.

For me, I'm not jumping back into the full-distance after IMWI because it is a huge, all-encompassing commitment. I spent a year training for it generally, and six months specifically, and the last four were dominated if not outright controlled by the simple question of "Am I making a good decision now for mile 19?" Meals, vacations, time with the family, all were maneuvered like tetris pieces around training and IMWI.

Oh, and all to run a 15:27, which is within 15 minutes of my pre-season prediction and after executing the race essentially perfectly.

This year, I plan on racing a *lot* more, spending a *lot* less money, spending a *lot* more time with my family, and having a *lot* more fun. A half-distance race is a fun weekend with a rough Monday and some time in the hot tub. IMWI took several toenails, a whole tube of desitin for the chafing and saddle sores, and three weeks before I felt normal again.

Training is so specific and focused, and I did it mainly solo, to control efforts and stick to the plan. This year - someone in the group jumps and attacks, I'm game to play and reel him in like a fish on the line, and forget about the watts and HR. I run hard if I want to run hard, or run slow and easy, and if its raining and humid, I'll stay in and play video games. In the water, I'm not bothering to chase the ex-collegiate swimmers who swallow me like a bluefin after krill; I just swim a few times a week and focus on form and feeling good in the water.

Was it worth it? 100%, without a doubt, yes. The taper makes you feel invincible, mile 19 makes you feel anything but, and the finish line makes you feel like a god.

I'm not a bucket-lister, and that fact alone will probably make me sign up for something in 2016 just to prove it. But I'll come back in my fourth year, not my second, with three times the fitness base, cut two or three hours off my time, and hopefully actually *run* the marathon.
2015-02-27 5:47 PM
in reply to: #5096745

User image

Regular
It's simply time. I don't want to invest the time needed to do it. Olympic tris and half marathons are all the time I am willing to dedicate at this point.

2015-02-27 5:54 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
No desire to race iron distance.

Shane
2015-02-27 7:43 PM

Master
Northern IL

Train enough to do one. Don't have the desire for the distance. Tried once, but not for me.

2015-02-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

I am with Shane on this one. I can't find any reason to compete at the 140.6 distance. Plus I like to race. I would rather race 10+ times than focus all year on one long, slow day.
2015-02-27 7:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Trained for one before knee surgery ended it 3 weeks out.  I hated every single minute of it.  I have no desire to train up for one again......bored me to no end.  I doubt I'll ever even do another HIM.....just don't feel the need.

2015-02-27 8:44 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
For me it was always about timing, the kids, where we were in our lives etc etc...and time to train!

Luckily I teach cycle classes, so part of my work consists of training, and while the kids are in school I can balance the other training with house duties, laundry, meals, food shopping, cleaning etc.

I delayed signing up for one because I felt I wasn't ready. This year was different...and I finally felt like I could dedicate this year to the training, the hours and needs that it requires. I signed up for IMAZ in November, with my families complete support. We will see how it all goes starting in April when the real training plan starts!

That and I'm terrified of the mass water start. Working with a coach this year and doing a LOT of OWS practice!

2015-02-27 10:05 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

• I knew it !

So seriously. For me it has been a combination of things. I've spent the past 8 years with sprints/oly's, HIM (1) and a bunch of Xterra's.

#1 - The time commitment on weekends. I make time during the week and have no issue with "frequency", it is just the long hours required for a long ride and long run aren't a priority for me or my family.
    #2 - I enjoy racing frequently, which is my social outlet to see my friends. With all the races I enjoy going to, "squeezing in" a full seems like that would dominate my mind holding me back from all else.
    #3 - Ironman will still be there when we are empty-nesters (3 years?)
    #4 -

What is pulling me towards doing one?
    #1 - Seems like a fair # my tri-friends have gravitated that way over the last couple of years so am curious what the big deal is
    2015-02-27 10:09 PM
    in reply to: Mc Q

User image

Master
    Overland Park, KS
    One thing is time to train, but I also want to get faster at the half distance so I can complete the distance in a timely manner. I want to finish before it gets dark
    2015-02-27 11:34 PM
    in reply to: hessma

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cypress, TX

Trained for eight of them from 2010 to 2014.  Taking a break for a couple of years at least.

The time, family, and financial commitment is a lot.  Living in Texas also made the long bike and run training an absolute misery with the brutal heat and humidity during the warmer months.

2015-02-28 12:11 AM

User image

Veteran
    Great White North
    Time. Won't say never again, but not right now. Looking forward to draft legal sprints on the age group side.
    2015-02-28 7:42 AM
    in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
    Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod No desire to race iron distance. Shane

What??!!!  You mean that long course isn't a "step up" from short course??  That's unbelievable!

2015-02-28 7:47 AM
    in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
    Loughborough, England

It has been time and motivation for me after completing IM France in 2009.  That was an all encompassing goal and although I loved every minute of it I haven't been able to bring myself to start the process again.  Injuries, new jobs, moving/buying houses, getting married have prevented me training enough.  I have always liked the idea of doing another one though.  For now I am working on building my training back up, enjoying some races towards then end of the summer then maybe in 2016 I will consider whether another IM is possible.

2015-02-28 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Originally posted by 5Sigma

Its something I have been wondering about, some friends of mine compete in Sprint/Olympic distances. They say they want to compete in half and full Ironman events. While some are content with Sprint/Olympic distance and focusing of faster times, many seem to want to take that step to the bigger distances but barriers seem to hold them back.

If you are the sort of person who is thinking about making the jump, what is holding you back?

I have done 2 IM's and both went alright, but some major life changes right before one IM and a heavy workload before the other 60-70 hours a week has me pretty much turned off to a full IM with the time and financial commitment and putting all my eggs into a basket for one day.

Doing Olympics/70.3s and my training is far more flexible as is my pocket book along with life commitments. I might do IM again, right now I have no interest. I do triathlon as a hobby and that is it, I have a job, family, and a s/o (even though she is a triathlete as well) to spend time with. IF I do IM again, I will make sure it is the right time and my life is in good balance to sustain the training and recovery needed for a successful race.
    2015-02-28 7:58 AM
    in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC
    Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

For me, I'm not jumping back into the full-distance after IMWI because it is a huge, all-encompassing commitment. I spent a year training for it generally, and six months specifically, and the last four were dominated if not outright controlled by the simple question of "Am I making a good decision now for mile 19?" Meals, vacations, time with the family, all were maneuvered like tetris pieces around training and IMWI.

Oh, and all to run a 15:27, which is within 15 minutes of my pre-season prediction and after executing the race essentially perfectly.

This year, I plan on racing a *lot* more, spending a *lot* less money, spending a *lot* more time with my family, and having a *lot* more fun. A half-distance race is a fun weekend with a rough Monday and some time in the hot tub. IMWI took several toenails, a whole tube of desitin for the chafing and saddle sores, and three weeks before I felt normal again.

Training is so specific and focused, and I did it mainly solo, to control efforts and stick to the plan. This year - someone in the group jumps and attacks, I'm game to play and reel him in like a fish on the line, and forget about the watts and HR. I run hard if I want to run hard, or run slow and easy, and if its raining and humid, I'll stay in and play video games. In the water, I'm not bothering to chase the ex-collegiate swimmers who swallow me like a bluefin after krill; I just swim a few times a week and focus on form and feeling good in the water.

Was it worth it? 100%, without a doubt, yes. The taper makes you feel invincible, mile 19 makes you feel anything but, and the finish line makes you feel like a god.

I'm not a bucket-lister, and that fact alone will probably make me sign up for something in 2016 just to prove it. But I'll come back in my fourth year, not my second, with three times the fitness base, cut two or three hours off my time, and hopefully actually *run* the marathon.

I think this is a really good post and summarizes a lot of things related to IM training very well!

I'm currently training for IM #4 and I enjoy the challenge. However, it's definitely not for everyone, and I don't think it should be the defining distance for our sport. Fast Olympic distance times are more impressive to me than slow IM times and there's a lot of wisdom to sticking to race distances that don't leave you a physical mess for weeks afterward.
    2015-02-28 9:25 PM
    in reply to: Patrick E

User image

I will one day. I am relatively new, this is my second season with 3 races left (sprint and 2 olys). For now, I am happy doing this, and especially since the start of this year I've been really hitting my training goals. I want to improve my speeds, and an Oly still takes a fair bit out of me, so I would like to be faster and more comfortable doing one of those. I am planning to do a marathon in October with my brother, and I have yet to decide if I will focus on another season of sprints/olys to improve speed, or maybe try my luck in a HIM.

I will do a full IM one day, just not yet
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

upping the distance.

Started by jennifer65
    Views: 901 Posts: 5

2011-08-27 5:25 AM jennifer65

2 steps forward and 1 step back swimming

Started by jacasa
    Views: 1520 Posts: 7

2008-03-04 1:46 PM jacasa

Step by Step Instructions, please!

Started by Afletcher