United States
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 14s
Overall Rank = 555/2261
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 55/456
Pre-race routine:

Shelly, Slake and Kari dropped the runners off about 1-2 blocks from the start which was fantastic. We had some veteran runners (Brad and Jeff) and some virgin KKC runners (me, Laura and Kevin). We had about 15 minutes or so before the race started so we walked through the masses to seed ourselves not too far from the start.
Event warmup:

No warm up. Just stood around with friends and chatted. It was a chilly morning, but the sun was out which was nice. Ended up to be perfect running weather (with no wind).
Run
  • 54m 14s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal was to start out with a comfortably hard pace that I could hold for the run there. I was trying to bank time as I heard eating the dozen donuts takes longer than people think. I started out running 8-somethings with Laura right with me. We were barely talking, but it was nice to have company. The course has some rolling hills on it, but I was happy to get to the Krispy Kreme store with 8:26 average pace. As I was approaching, I took my gloves off and ran down the rows of tables with the boxes of donuts on top. They had volunteers handing out the boxes. Before we started, we decided to wear rubber gloves under our thin winter gloves. It felt so awful and my hands were kind of sweaty, but it meant not wrestling on rubber gloves once we got to the store. I grabbed a cup of water from the table and found Brad, Kevin and Jeff who were already there eating and our support crew of Kari, Shelly and Slake.

I immediately smushed 2 donuts together and started eating them. As I was eating, I continued to smush donuts together: 3, 2, 3, 2 and ate them in that order. I tried not to drink a lot so my stomach didn't fill up. And it helped I started the race hungry having only drank coffee that morning. I never had a problem of my body rejecting the donuts meaning, having it be mentally hard to eat. My issue was that my jaw hurt from chewing so fast. I found it harder to eat the 3 smushed donuts than it was for the 2. We had a great time as a group just standing around laughing and joking as we force fed ourselves. I enjoyed the first few, but by the end I was just ready to be done eating. I powered through the final 2 donuts and rinsed my mouth from the sugar (as suggested from Brad). Took off the rubber gloves and navigated to the start of the run. We had to show our empty box to the volunteer.

Upon tossing my empty box, I saw Brad standing on the side waiting for me. He started to run with Jeff and Kevin, but decided to wait since I wasn't too far behind them donut wise. It was a pleasant surprise to see Brad and have his company on the way back. I told him I didn't have any talking in me, but appreciated the company. Was able to burp a few times which felt amazing.

The time cutoff is 1 hour and I felt confident after eating the donuts we would make it in time. Going into the race, I had no idea what time to expect. It turns out the donuts didn't affect my second run as I negative spit it with an 8:12 average pace.

We were ticking off the miles just pushing it and not talking. We hit the final stretch which is a slight uphill. You can see the finish line arch in the distance and it's clear from all of the puke on the ground that people start their final kick a little too early and have a "reversal of fortune".
Crossed the line smiling and in under an hour. Immediately said how much I loved this race and would do it every year! And surprisingly, never felt like I was going to puke. I didn't eat again until 4:30 pm that day though.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Ran a great run for me and apparently am pretty good at eating 12 donuts pretty fast (eating time was a little under 14 minutes).

Post race
Warm down:

We grabbed some water and waited for LC to finish. Apparently we missed her though as she and Kevin were freezing waiting outside the van.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing...I did better than I thought.

Event comments:

What an awesomely fun race! It's a run to benefit an NC State charity and there are tons of people (a ton of NC State students in costumes).
Loved this race and will definitely be back!

Last updated: 2015-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:14 | 05 miles | 10m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/456
Overall: 456/2261
Performance: Good
Time includes running and eating. Entire run time was 40:20 for 4.85 miles.
Course: Start at NC State and run ~2.5 miles to the Krispy Kreme store where we ran down a chute to get our donuts. Eat the dozen then ~2.5 miles back (although Garmin measured the course a little short)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-02-27 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Krispy Kreme Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Krispy Kreme Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by cathyberger
Views: 1104 Posts: 2

2009-02-07 7:59 AM lextek

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by konichiwa
Views: 1591 Posts: 5

2008-01-31 2:55 PM weds19

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by weds19
Views: 2309 Posts: 17

2008-01-31 9:58 AM konichiwa

Krispy Kreme Challenge Pages: 1 2

Started by dck4shrt
Views: 4535 Posts: 26

2010-11-18 9:55 AM dck4shrt

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by ellasdad
Views: 2139 Posts: 9

2007-01-28 4:43 AM ellasdad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.