in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Heavenly feet in my new Hoka's
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Donto

I was very hesitant to try these but after talking to so many people who loved them  I gave it a shot.  I've now got almost 300 miles on a pair of Cliftons and have loved them.  The amount of general soreness I have during and after a run is a fraction of what it was.  I do prefer a little more drop in a shoe but have had no issues.

They just came out with a lightweight trail shoe (Challenger ATR) that is next on the list.  Lastly, I have heard that the Cliftons wear rapidly but mine seem to be holding up fine.  

When I was researching Hoka's I found a runner review of them (can't find it now) where after 200 miles he put the shoes next to a new pair. It was very apparent that the sole material lost it's rebound ability, it was lower in the forefoot and heel and bulging out off to the side, IIRC the drop went from 4mm to darn close to 0 also.  He only recommended it for low mileage short runs/races/intervals and not as a high mileage training shoe.

I will have to recheck them.  I was referring to the tread wear and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the rest of the shoe.  I have a brand new pair that was waiting for the originals to retire so I can do a comparison.

I am running in HOKA Conquest right now and hopeful the tread lasts longer than the prior versions of Bondi. The Bondi 3 tread wore fairly fast in the strike point, but I do like that shoe. The Conquest is a bit firmer, and I like the feel.

I don't have a lot of miles on them (yet) but steadily putting on miles weekly.

2015-03-04 3:00 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by metafizx

Originally posted by Donto

I was very hesitant to try these but after talking to so many people who loved them  I gave it a shot.  I've now got almost 300 miles on a pair of Cliftons and have loved them.  The amount of general soreness I have during and after a run is a fraction of what it was.  I do prefer a little more drop in a shoe but have had no issues.

They just came out with a lightweight trail shoe (Challenger ATR) that is next on the list.  Lastly, I have heard that the Cliftons wear rapidly but mine seem to be holding up fine.  

When I was researching Hoka's I found a runner review of them (can't find it now) where after 200 miles he put the shoes next to a new pair. It was very apparent that the sole material lost it's rebound ability, it was lower in the forefoot and heel and bulging out off to the side, IIRC the drop went from 4mm to darn close to 0 also.  He only recommended it for low mileage short runs/races/intervals and not as a high mileage training shoe.

I will have to recheck them.  I was referring to the tread wear and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the rest of the shoe.  I have a brand new pair that was waiting for the originals to retire so I can do a comparison.

I am running in HOKA Conquest right now and hopeful the tread lasts longer than the prior versions of Bondi. The Bondi 3 tread wore fairly fast in the strike point, but I do like that shoe. The Conquest is a bit firmer, and I like the feel. I don't have a lot of miles on them (yet) but steadily putting on miles weekly.

I was really surprised that the tread on mine was not more worn.  On most shoes at 300 miles I see some major tread wear on the heels.  I did not see any visable difference between my shoes and a pair of new ones.  I did stop and talk to my LRS.  With a shoe like this he stated that after 200 miles he would expect quite a bit of compression given how soft of a shoe they are.

2015-03-05 1:08 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

just an update:  wore the new pair on a run last night and compared to the shoes that had 300 miles was like night and day.  The old shoes had compressed significantly in the heel.  I think a lifespan of 200 miles is about right.  Visually I saw nothing different but the change in feel was obvious.

2015-03-05 3:22 PM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Can anybody give the basic differences in Hoka models? I'm looking at their website and the descriptions are very similar for all the shoes. I'd be interested in the model that is best for stability for a heavier runner.
2015-03-05 4:47 PM
in reply to: biggsmooth

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by biggsmooth Can anybody give the basic differences in Hoka models? I'm looking at their website and the descriptions are very similar for all the shoes. I'd be interested in the model that is best for stability for a heavier runner.

Probably your best bet is, if possible, to go to the closest running store that carries them.  The Hoka Constants are marketed as providing stability and cushioning.  Here's Runner's World's comparison of the Constants to similar shoes currently on the market.  Runner's World (www.runnersworld.com) also has a shoe advisor section that might help as well.

2015-03-05 5:16 PM
in reply to: biggsmooth

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by biggsmooth Can anybody give the basic differences in Hoka models? I'm looking at their website and the descriptions are very similar for all the shoes. I'd be interested in the model that is best for stability for a heavier runner.
Yeah, best to find a store near you that you can try one.  I found the Bondi3 to provide too much stability for me.  Slowman (The Man) over on the other site uses a stability shoe and loves the Bondi. I think it has the most cushioning too.

2015-03-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Wore Conquests on my short lunch run today (5.5km). Wonderful cushioning. As well as about 10 seconds per km faster without any increased effort. One concern is that my right foot (pad) went a bit numb. But that could easily be the stiffness of new shoes or my first experiments with the elastic "speed" laces that come in the Hokas.

2015-03-11 2:52 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by badmo77a Wore Conquests on my short lunch run today (5.5km). Wonderful cushioning. As well as about 10 seconds per km faster without any increased effort. One concern is that my right foot (pad) went a bit numb. But that could easily be the stiffness of new shoes or my first experiments with the elastic "speed" laces that come in the Hokas.
I dumped the speed laces and used the regular laces.  I couldn't get the right feel with them.  I also cut off the lower elastic strap above the tongue as I felt it was limiting the fit of the mid-foot region (keeping it too tight).

2015-03-11 5:12 PM

User image

Master
I switched to Hokas about a year ago at my coaches insistence. During big mileage weeks my feet just hurt all of the time. Not PF (I've had it and know the difference) but just a constant, uncomfortable feeling from the continuous pounding. The Hokas looked ugly and heavy but I was desperate . They felt light and it was like running on pillows. The uncomfortable feeling has gone away. I still use standard shoes for races but only did short course at the end of last season. I am tempted to use the Hokas in my HIM in May since I know I will be nowhere near a podium but would like to be comfortable on the run.
2015-03-11 5:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by pschriver I switched to Hokas about a year ago at my coaches insistence. During big mileage weeks my feet just hurt all of the time. Not PF (I've had it and know the difference) but just a constant, uncomfortable feeling from the continuous pounding. The Hokas looked ugly and heavy but I was desperate . They felt light and it was like running on pillows. The uncomfortable feeling has gone away. I still use standard shoes for races but only did short course at the end of last season. I am tempted to use the Hokas in my HIM in May since I know I will be nowhere near a podium but would like to be comfortable on the run.
Get the Clifton's for racing in, they're a very light shoe, ~3 to ~4oz less than the Bondi and Conquest respectively

Edited by Donto 2015-03-11 5:32 PM
2015-03-11 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
First week in my first pair of Hokas. I got the Bondi 4. So far, I love them. I find it easier to run in as I transition to a mid strike from a heel strike and my legs don't feel as beat up after a run. If this holds up I can't see myself ever buying a shoe that didn't have these qualities.

2015-03-20 5:20 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Would you mind keeping the updates coming on your transition with them.   I'd like to hear how they feel after a few more runs.  Now I'm back to thinking about a pair.

OK I have 22.4 miles & 7 runs in so far with them.  Love the feel of them and had no problem adjusting to the lower drop. No foot or lower leg issues.  But I think I need a 1/2 size bigger as I need a bit more room in the shoe up front (outside edge of big toe) & on the direct back of the heel.  Seems like Hoka wasn't smart enough to not have a seam down the middle of the heel (my other shoes don't) and that is where I'm getting the hotspot on my right heel.  The left shoe is fine, it appears the seam on the right is raised a bit more than the left when I rub my finger over it.  Mind you these are the Conquest 1's so I don't know if they changed the seam on the Conquest 2 or other shoes.

2015-03-20 6:35 PM

Congrats, I haven't ever tried these. Look forward to hearing if they fare better than other shoes you've tried.
2015-03-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Just did my first race in the Bondi 4 yesterday. It was a reverse tri and I am not a good runner. It is only my third tri but easily my best run. My legs felt much better than normal. I also followed that with my fastest ride ever so my legs weren't fried after the run.

So two big thumbs up from me. Some say they are not the fastest shoes around, but I will never be the fastest runner around. As someone who had had reconstructive knee surgery and a full hip replacement I would suggest to anyone with any joint issues to give them a try.

Edited by Stuartap 2015-03-22 1:31 PM
2015-03-23 1:22 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
got about 50 miles on my hokas and I am amazed how good my legs feel after running long runs. However they do not give me enough forward grip to do speed workouts or sprint/5k races in.
2015-03-24 12:12 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

got about 50 miles on my hokas and I am amazed how good my legs feel after running long runs. However they do not give me enough forward grip to do speed workouts or sprint/5k races in.

There is a local guy who credits Hoka with resurrecting his running career. He's now in his upper 40s and runs 5Ks in his Hokas in about 16:30. Sounds like Hokas can support fast running pretty well. Of course not every model of Hoka is suitable for fast running and I think he races in either Clifton or Huaka.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavenly feet in my new Hoka's Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hoka's are on sale

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1102 Posts: 3

2014-01-10 2:21 PM tigers75

New old study on foot strike

Started by Experior
Views: 1328 Posts: 16

2011-12-13 7:09 AM Experior

new shoes any my feet are killing me.

Started by TriKyle
Views: 1409 Posts: 11

2008-05-09 12:54 PM ranger5oh

New Illinois Bicycle 3 Feet Law

Started by CKinsey
Views: 2067 Posts: 19

2008-05-08 3:41 PM Hot Joe

abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot

Started by steven
Views: 1129 Posts: 4

2004-05-06 10:30 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.

date : December 18, 2012
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.
date : September 21, 2012
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.